Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

I'm going to spend a day pickleing peppers next week. I have bushels I haven't picked yet. Definite bumper year. 

And if I didn't already have enough tomatoes, I have what looks like a San marzano plant that hitch hiked in with a jalapeño start. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 7:49 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I think a pvc setup would work well in a small space like that.  You could get a small garden hose and a pvc fitting that would attach the hose to the pipe. Drill holes in the pvc. I would start small maybe 1/64th or 1/32 and set up a misting situation since you have so much. You can always make the holes bigger as needed. 

Would have to customize for you space but this is a good video. 

Since we are heading to Maryland for a couple of weeks, I installed a drip irrigation system for our terrace today. Used main 1/2” black tubing to blend in with the railing and then got a kit with transfer barbs, smaller drip lines, and plugs. Only took me a couple hours to lay tubing to all of the remaining 70 or so pots. 

Had also purchased a programmable timer and set it for 15 minutes of irrigation at 6am and 6pm daily. Since we are leaving early tomorrow morning, I had to make sure I was done before 6pm today and then was waiting with baited breath to make sure the timer and all my tubing and connections worked. 

All systems are go! Will be nice not to have to worry about our plants while we are gone. I need to clean up some of the tubing, you can see some in the far background that I didn’t have a way to pin up and keep out of site. I ran out of fasteners. 

355DE3CA-2A8C-402F-9141-70C239E83244.jpeg

Edited by Lostin76
  • Like 7

On 8/13/2021 at 4:46 PM, Drroogh said:

I’m no green thumb, but has anyone ever tried diatamaciamacious earth for bug control?

I've used it to "Chernobyl" areas with deep ant infestations. Till 12" deep, remove the loosened soil, line the hole with diatamaciamacious earth, then mix it in with the fill dirt. 

Today's harvest, that's probably 25%, my camera is too small.  

I'm giving it away faster than we can eat it. I'm getting probably 3/4 gallon of cherry tomatoes a day.  I've got my work cut out for me on Monday, pickling, canning, dehydrating. This is my best year yet. 

20210820_234836.jpg

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm giving it away faster than we can eat it. I'm getting probably 3/4 gallon of cherry tomatoes a day.  I've got my work cut out for me on Monday, pickling, canning, dehydrating. This is my best year yet. 

20210820_234836.jpg

Christ on a cracker….are those blackberries or grenades?

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

20210820_234836.jpg

You have any tricks for keeping cherry or cluster tomatoes for winter? I've been giving away about 40 per week it seems like and I still have dozens on the vine. 

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

20210820_234836.jpg

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

You have any tricks for keeping cherry or cluster tomatoes for winter? I've been giving away about 40 per week it seems like and I still have dozens on the vine. 

Boy, if I lived nearby, I'd take some cherry tomatoes off your hands. My wife makes a hybrid Caeser salad with cherry tomatoes and Kallamata olives that's out of this world...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Boy, if I lived nearby, I'd take some cherry tomatoes off your hands. My wife makes a hybrid Caeser salad with cherry tomatoes and Kallamata olives that's out of this world...

We've been adding cherry tomatoes to almost everything we eat the last 3 weeks. My acid reflux is on tilt but I don't care...that taste of fresh garden grown tomato is on my Mt Rushmore of foods. 

• Like 1