Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We've been adding cherry tomatoes to almost everything we eat the last 3 weeks. My acid reflux is on tilt but I don't care...that taste of fresh garden grown tomato is on my Mt Rushmore of foods. 

I love any kind of tomato, including fried green...

Guess I got that from my old man...he use to slice up tomatoes and just dip them in salt and eat them...I'm not that far gone, but there aren't too many sandwiches/salads that I don't want them on...

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

You have any tricks for keeping cherry or cluster tomatoes for winter? I've been giving away about 40 per week it seems like and I still have dozens on the vine. 

We just make batches of salsa or sauce and freeze in mason jars. Have so much this year I may try dehydrating some. 

An immersion blender is a handy tool to have. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Boy, if I lived nearby, I'd take some cherry tomatoes off your hands. My wife makes a hybrid Caeser salad with cherry tomatoes and Kallamata olives that's out of this world...

Sounds good. We do a cherry tomato salad with roasted corn, cheese tortellini, and fresh basil.  It's on the menu next week. 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Guess I got that from my old man...he use to slice up tomatoes and just dip them in salt and eat them...I'm not that far gone, but there aren't too many sandwiches/salads that I don't want them on...

I don't know why I do it but I like fresh tomoto slices and ketchup. 

9 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

We just make batches of salsa or sauce and freeze in mason jars. Have so much this year I may try dehydrating some. 

An immersion blender is a handy tool to have. 

I've got so many I just found a way to freeze. Said to layout cherry tomatoes on baking sheet and put in freezer for an hour. Once frozen bag them up. When ready to eat let them thaw at room temp for an hour. Guess I'll give it a try later because if not they'll go to waste. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 10:55 AM, IUFLA said:

My father in law really showed me how great a homegrown tomato is in the summer. The ones you get in restaurant just aren’t the same. 

Sometimes when we do BLTs I have some tomato slices with whatever seasoning I have. 

• Like 1

I have had an abundance of sun sugar cherry tomatoes, my absolute favorite. 

Told Milehiiu about them last year and he had never heard of them.  Was going to send him some plants this year. 

Unfortunately he didn't get a chance to try them. But I have given so much away. 

Think maybe his memory has a hand in it. I couldn't share with him but I've been able to share with appreative people. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I have had an abundance of sun sugar cherry tomatoes, my absolute favorite. 

Told Milehiiu about them last year and he had never heard of them.  Was going to send him some plants this year. 

Unfortunately he didn't get a chance to try them. But I have given so much away. 

Think maybe his memory has a hand in it. I couldn't share with him but I've been able to share with appreative people. 

Agreed on the sun sugars. I usually plant some basil nearby. Pick a bit of basil, garb a sun sugar, and pop them in together. So good.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Lostin76

Finally got some Giant Syrians. So good.

20210922_193221.thumb.jpg.eeb64105dccbbbc2ecbe190402b4314b.jpg

Strangest tomato season in a long time is what I'm hearing. I've still got blossoms but some of the others have been done for a couple weeks. My aunt is now getting about 5-6 per day for the first time all season. Same light, water, care,etc.....weird season for sure. Those look awesome! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Strangest tomato season in a long time is what I'm hearing. I've still got blossoms but some of the others have been done for a couple weeks. My aunt is now getting about 5-6 per day for the first time all season. Same light, water, care,etc.....weird season for sure. Those look awesome! 

It's wild. I had 7 plants this year because 2-3 usually don't produce well. 

At one point for about 2-3 weeks we were picking a quart of assorted cherry tomatoes every 2 days. I Couldn't give them away fast enough.

Even had a San marzano plant hitchhike in with a jalapeño. So 8 plants. 

Tonight making habenaro hot sauces and my 3RD! gallon of tomato pasta sauce. Thank goodness I bought a chest freezer earlier this year. 

Weirdly, my worst pepper year so far. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Thank goodness I bought a chest freezer earlier this year. 

Off topic, but having owned both, I’ll go upright vs chest freezer every time from now on, if you’ve got room for it. Switched about a year ago, and the upright is so much easier to keep organized. The issue I always had with the chest freezer is stuff would wind up getting buried at the bottom. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Off topic, but having owned both, I’ll go upright vs chest freezer every time from now on, if you’ve got room for it. Switched about a year ago, and the upright is so much easier to keep organized. The issue I always had with the chest freezer is stuff would wind up getting buried at the bottom. 

Agreed. If I had the room I would have. My refrigerator quit working one day so I bought a a 7 cu ft in a pinch until I repaired my fridge. Which I did successfully.  Now I have 2 freezers. 

And I fixed it for $30. Ha, suck it GE. 

• Haha 2