Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Geez.  Wouldn't surprise me if they banned the sale of 2 cycle engine oil too. 

Newsome looks like Mr. Mackey from South Park.

Edited by mrflynn03

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So, I'm reviving this thread way early, but I receive our first seed catalog and since we didn't do a garden last year I am extra anxious to get back to it in the spring. Question for all the gardeners...do any of you have a greenhouse? If so where did you get it or did you build it custom etc? I probably have too much going on this year to get a greenhouse this season, but I would like to implement a greenhouse at some point to extend the growing season.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

So, I'm reviving this thread way early, but I receive our first seed catalog and since we didn't do a garden last year I am extra anxious to get back to it in the spring. Question for all the gardeners...do any of you have a greenhouse? If so where did you get it or did you build it custom etc? I probably have too much going on this year to get a greenhouse this season, but I would like to implement a greenhouse at some point to extend the growing season.

You could also do a smaller structure like a cold frame to see if you like it. Pretty easy to build something like this:

https://www.burpee.com/bio-star-1500-premium-cold-frame-prod099776.html

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Got my catalog as well from Totally Tomatoes. I'm going all Goliath on tomatoes this year...but unlike last year I'm pulling things in a bit. Thinking 4-5 tomato plants (regular and cherry) and 3-4 pepper plants( serrano, jalapeno, banana, and bells)...with some herbs as well. 

My aunt has a little makeshift lab in her basement that we start the seeds in spring and transfer to pots/ground usually around 1st of May. Good luck with greenhouse!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Got my catalog as well from Totally Tomatoes. I'm going all Goliath on tomatoes this year...but unlike last year I'm pulling things in a bit. Thinking 4-5 tomato plants (regular and cherry) and 3-4 pepper plants( serrano, jalapeno, banana, and bells)...with some herbs as well. 

My aunt has a little makeshift lab in her basement that we start the seeds in spring and transfer to pots/ground usually around 1st of May. Good luck with greenhouse!

Did you grow serrano peppers last year? How did they turn out? We usually grow bell, pablanos, jalapenos, and sometimes Bananas. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Did you grow serrano peppers last year? How did they turn out? We usually grow bell, pablanos, jalapenos, and sometimes Bananas. 

Mine turned out great that were in pots alone.

My aunt put her serranos in ground and they just didn't produce much. Last year though was a very strange growing season here in Indy. Some plants produced plenty others didn't....and some tomato plants were still producing into October so I'm not using last year as any guidance. Strangest season ever.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Welp from snow to 80 this week.  My Goliath Bush Hybrid's are starting to take form inside. I'm hopeful I can transfer to pots by May 1st. 65-70 days for growing so with any luck this year I'll have by July 1st.

Good luck with those gardening this year! We are scaling back just a little. Mostly just tomatoes and peppers here....and plenty of spinach for salads. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

Before I can even think about my garden I need to clean up the yard.  These damn gusty winds we've been getting has got limbs down all over the place.

Haha. Yep! My aunt has a pretty big yard with trees dating back to when the house was built in 1956. I spent last Thursday picking up debris. 2 big blue totes and 7 garbage bags later...my arms were shot. 

• Like 1

So far we have various tomato plants, eggplants, peppers (mild and hot), lettuce, carrots, strawberries and others starting out. We started these up last month in hopes we can get a jump start on harvesting this summer. This weekend I hope to spend some time getting some garden beds ready to plant in 2/3 weeks.

image0(76).jpeg

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

So far we have various tomato plants, eggplants, peppers (mild and hot), lettuce, carrots, strawberries and others starting out. We started these up last month in hopes we can get a jump start on harvesting this summer. This weekend I hope to spend some time getting some garden beds ready to plant in 2/3 weeks.

image0(76).jpeg

Have a few trays going so far and when I try to upload photo it's upside down for some reason. Anyway those look great!!

Getting some basil and spinach started this weekend....because they don't mind the cold even if we have another quick shot. Good luck!

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Have a few trays going so far and when I try to upload photo it's upside down for some reason. Anyway those look great!!

Getting some basil and spinach started this weekend....because they don't mind the cold even if we have another quick shot. Good luck!

Thanks. We missed out on garden last year due to moving, and are excited for some fresh veggies this year. We started everything from seeds this year. The only thing we might have to buy plants for is eggplant, since some of ours didn't germinate.

• Like 1

I think I’m going to skip tomatoes this year. They take up so much space and really require a LOT of water growing in containers on our hot terrace. We have three really good farmers markets close to us, so it’s not like I won’t have access to good tomatoes. 

Am trying to grow an artichoke plant this year. Don’t really like artichokes, but if you let them go to seed, the bees love them. 

Other than that the usual chaos of way too many flowers and herbs has been requested by the wife. 

• Like 1