Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Very nice veggie garden you have got there.  Happy growing season. And thanks for the pic.

One row of corn would look great in there. Actually helps with enriching the soil.

But keep them away from your tomato plant/ plants.

I also plant Marigolds on the South edge of my Veggie garden to fend off pests. 

Companion Planting For Top 10 Veggies Grown in US - Farmers' Almanac 

I hadn't heard that about corn and tomatoes.  Sounds like it is only an issue if the corn gets bugs.  I saw that a lot of people plant them next to each other without issue.  Mine are next to each other, so hopefully no problems!  I basically put the tallest plants in the back (north) so they don't block other plants from getting sun.

28 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I hadn't heard that about corn and tomatoes.  Sounds like it is only an issue if the corn gets bugs.  I saw that a lot of people plant them next to each other without issue.  Mine are next to each other, so hopefully no problems!  I basically put the tallest plants in the back (north) so they don't block other plants from getting sun.

If planted next to each other. Keep an eye on your tomato plants.  Daily.  Buy some Seven ahead of time. To dust over them.  In fact.... not a problem to dust tomato plants with Seven any time  during the growing season to help keep them healthy.

GardenTech Sevin Dust Insect Killer 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

If planted next to each other. Keep an eye on your tomato plants.  Daily.  Buy some Seven ahead of time. To dust over them.  In fact.... not a problem to dust tomato plants with Seven any time  during the growing season to help keep them healthy.

GardenTech Sevin Dust Insect Killer 

Thanks for the tip!  I'll definitely be getting some.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

For the potted plants guys. Have all my tomatoes and peppers on one side patio. Been in for 10+ days. Other than time and patience...do you add any fertilizer or break up any of the dirt? Or just let it be and water when needed?

Not a potted plant guy, but I would think a lot would depend on the potting mix you are using.  A lot of them have slow release fertilizers built into them, but I don't know if that is enough or how long it lasts.

I crush up some eggshells and put them around my tomatoes and peppers to prevent end rot.  My first few tomatoes last year got it from not having enough calcium, and a few eggshells took care of the problem.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

For the potted plants guys. Have all my tomatoes and peppers on one side patio. Been in for 10+ days. Other than time and patience...do you add any fertilizer or break up any of the dirt? Or just let it be and water when needed?

I fertilize my tomato plants about every 3 weeks or so.

Not sure what you mean by break up the dirt? Are you repotting them? If so, I always loosen up the roots a bit with my fingers before repotting.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I fertilize my tomato plants about every 3 weeks or so.

Not sure what you mean by break up the dirt? Are you repotting them? If so, I always loosen up the roots a bit with my fingers before repotting.

When I say break up the dirt I mean should I keep the top fresh or leave it solid like the day I planted them. Wasn't sure if I should be breaking it up or not.

45 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

When I say break up the dirt I mean should I keep the top fresh or leave it solid like the day I planted them. Wasn't sure if I should be breaking it up or not.

Ah, once they are planted just let the dirt be. All you have to do is water them, fertilize if you decide to, and watch them grow HUGE.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

To break up the dirt in my flower and veggie gardens I have used a Honda mini tiller for years. Still, starts great.  But I can't get the tines to turn. It's planting season. So then I bought an 18 inch tiller from church, that at wanted to get rid of.  OH BOY.  I can finally getting to tilling. ..... so I thought.  Church member was nice enough to deliver it in his brand new truck. Only.... to then say.... it has not been run for three years !   Hopeful expectations quickly dashed. As I could not get it started.  Well too positives out of that. Made a donation to the church for the purchase.... and my son has a friend who will be over tomorrow to get this tiller, for free.  And take it in to get it to run.

So... today.  Rather than waiting to have my Honda tiller repaired.  Decided to buy a new one to get started. Called four places that sell Honda mini tillers.  All four told me they haven't been able to get any at all.  Something about Honda not being able to get pieces to make them, due to the virus.  About to give up. I tried one more place.  I said "I know you sell Honda mowers.  Do you have any Honda mini tillers? "   Answer.... no, we have not been able to get them right now.... BUT we do have two Stihl. mini tillers.  Left the house..... and now.... I am back on business again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

To break up the dirt in my flower and veggie gardens I have used a Honda mini tiller for years. Still, starts great.  But I can't get the tines to turn. It's planting season. So then I bought an 18 inch tiller from church, that at wanted to get rid of.  OH BOY.  I can finally getting to tilling. ..... so I thought.  Church member was nice enough to deliver it in his brand new truck. Only.... to then say.... it has not been run for three years !   Hopeful expectations quickly dashed. As I could not get it started.  Well too positives out of that. Made a donation to the church for the purchase.... and my son has a friend who will be over tomorrow to get this tiller, for free.  And take it in to get it to run.

So... today.  Rather than waiting to have my Honda tiller repaired.  Decided to buy a new one to get started. Called four places that sell Honda mini tillers.  All four told me they haven't been able to get any at all.  Something about Honda not being able to get pieces to make them, due to the virus.  About to give up. I tried one more place.  I said "I know you sell Honda mowers.  Do you have any Honda mini tillers? "   Answer.... no, we have not been able to get them right now.... BUT we do have two Stihl. mini tillers.  Left the house..... and now.... I am back on business again.

It's funny. As I enter this garden game it reminds of when I had a pontoon at Lake Monroe. The boat was cheap (just like the plants are) it's all the ancillary expenses that go with this game. Haha!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It's funny. As I enter this garden game it reminds of when I had a pontoon at Lake Monroe. The boat was cheap (just like the plants are) it's all the ancillary expenses that go with this game. Haha!

I was asked one time if gardening saved money. For me it doesnt really but it allows me to grow varieties of tomatoes and peppers you cant buy at any store. 

And need a cucumber for a salad, I go pick one. The stuff you grow yourself seems to taste better.

Might check out a gurneys catalog for next year. But beware, you will want to turn your yard into a small farm. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyDc-8NpFot_ZAUX2SC

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Oh. And to answer your question about top soil. I like to spread Eko Compost on top. Along with coffee grounds. Lightly work into the soild.  And throughout the growing season.

However.  Have not been able to purchase this season... again delivery blamed on the virus.

Imagine any compost will work.

One more thing.  I was told to put a fresh egg in the bottom of the hole you are planting tomatoes in. Crack it. Place the plant on top of it. And then. Of course fill the hole back up with dirt.  I tried this last year.  50% of my tomato plants got the egg. 50 % didn't.  The ones with the eggs did the best.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I was asked one time if gardening saved money. For me it doesnt really but it allows me to grow varieties of tomatoes and peppers you cant buy at any store. 

And need a cucumber for a salad, I go pick one. The stuff you grow yourself seems to taste better.

Might check out a gurneys catalog for next year. But beware, you will want to turn your yard into a small farm. 

It's only been a couple hundred bucks and the enjoyment I'm getting far outweighs the actual cost. It's just been funny. $2 plant....but pots (in my case), cages, bamboo, fertilizer, organic gardening soil,etc....turn into $25 for each one but all worth it. Starting to research quick turnaround veggies. I have a bag and half of organic gardening soil that needs to be used. More planting coming!

• Like 2

3ae4f6f230378ac245632e6168281667.jpg

31 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Can't put a price on the joy.  Mrs. mile and I get out of gardening. 

By the way, we planted Colorado wild flowers, like three years back in one section of our three flower gardens.  They are blooming now. And are beautiful.  They bloom the entire season. And perhaps the best thing. Is they reseed  themselves for the next season.  And always are different every year.  Borrowing from Forrest Gump.... plant some Colorado wild flowers, and you never know what you'll get. 

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

And, you avoid the chance someone like me has licked it at the store.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Exactly! My wife just didn't see the point in growing our own veggies at first. Even the first year, she was like "sure it's cool to have herbs and the tomatoes are better." But last year's tomato crop (Giant Syrian and Matt's Wild Cherry) blew her away. The first time we had a fresh Giant Syrian that I had just picked, with mozzarella, basil, and olive oil, she totally got it. "THIS is a tomato!'" she said." Easily the best Ive ever tasted."

Now she loves being able to just walk out on the terrace and grab rosemary, basil, and sage at any time. And we eat a LOT more tomatoes and peppers when I am constantly harvesting them. Our neighbors love the tomatoes as well.

I've become that old man in the neighborhood that gives everyone produce all the sudden. And I'm totally fine with that!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It's only been a couple hundred bucks and the enjoyment I'm getting far outweighs the actual cost. It's just been funny. $2 plant....but pots (in my case), cages, bamboo, fertilizer, organic gardening soil,etc....turn into $25 for each one but all worth it. Starting to research quick turnaround veggies. I have a bag and half of organic gardening soil that needs to be used. More planting coming!

Pots are expensive. And soil. And cages. It's all kind of expensive, but oh so worth it in July and August.

• Like 1