Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

3 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Letting them go to seed is why I want to plant artichokes. Apparently the bees go insane for the pollen when you let the artichokes flower and go to seed. The huge purple flowers are really prettty too. But they really take up a lot of room.

Fennel looks so airy and cool when you let it flower too. Has a wildflower look to it.

I didn't know that about artichokes. Sounds unbelievable (un-bee-leave-able...cause the bees won't leave it!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I didn't know that about artichokes. Sounds unbelievable (un-bee-leave-able...cause the bees won't leave it!)

Here's a pic, if you can let a plant flower might be worth it for the flowers and the bees. I had NO idea that artichokes would do this if left alone. Nature is incredible.

artichoke-bees.gif

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Breaking News. Major Development here on the North Side of Indy. 3 yellow blossoms on one of my tomato plants. News at 11.

I haven't checked today, but yesterday I had some decent sized blossoms that are still closed that will probably open in the next day or two.

I think my brandywine's take longer than 2-3 weeks to ripen, but some of the smaller tomatoes can go pretty quick.  Maybe because once I see the brandywines start, I check them every day like a kid waiting for Christmas.

• Like 2

This is the best my herbs have ever done. I have almost full grown plants that I can use for the next couple weeks, and I have ones I planted from seed that are just starting to come up. I think all of my herbs might be coming up. Going to hopefully plant some more beans and lettuce this weekend to try to get more use out of them. Trying to prolong garden season. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Also, today I installed a retractable garden hose that is 130 feet long, and that is a life saver.  Rolls back up on its own.

My aunt has issues and one of them is the inability to throw things away. Anyway she's got about 8 hoses at various places around her yard (front/back/sides,etc...) we finally put a similar one in for her.....it's been a godsend for her and us when we help out in the yard.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Also, today I installed a retractable garden hose that is 130 feet long, and that is a life saver.  Rolls back up on its own.

I have 50ft of hose and plan to buy another 25ft to add so I can water the flower beds in front of my house.

Tell me where you got 130 ft of retractable hose.  I NEED that. 

7 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I have 50ft of hose and plan to buy another 25ft to add so I can water the flower beds in front of my house.

Tell me where you got 130 ft of retractable hose.  I NEED that. 

It's actually unavailable right now on Amazon. Maybe I got the last one lol. There are a lot of others. The main reason I got this one is because they have a 2 year warranty and they're active answering questions on Amazon in case it is needed.

retractable hose

It isn't a very big hose, but for gardening, it supplies more than enough water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

It's actually unavailable right now on Amazon. Maybe I got the last one lol. There are a lot of others. The main reason I got this one is because they have a 2 year warranty and they're active answering questions on Amazon in case it is needed.

retractable hose

It isn't a very big hose, but for gardening, it supplies more than enough water.

You guys need to look into an irrigation system. The initial investment is a bit steep but it pays for itself over time. Mine draws from the lake but you can tap into whatever system provides your water 

• Like 1

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

You guys need to look into an irrigation system. The initial investment is a bit steep but it pays for itself over time. Mine draws from the lake but you can tap into whatever system provides your water 

When I renovated my house, I ran a couple wires from my living room to the north and south sides of my house for a future irrigation system.  It is definitely something I have in the long term plans.  The drip irrigation in flower beds and the garden would be worth its weight in gold.  Not to mention, my house was vacant for a few years before I bought it, so the yard was a jungle.  Also, I tore it up when I put in a basement.  I don't know if I have a single blade of grass, just weeds.  Going to tear it up and seed it at some point, and the irrigation system would be amazing.

Did you do your own or have someone do it?  I've thought about having someone design it and then doing it myself.  The videos I've seen look pretty easy, I just need someone to tell me where to put everything.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

When I renovated my house, I ran a couple wires from my living room to the north and south sides of my house for a future irrigation system.  It is definitely something I have in the long term plans.  The drip irrigation in flower beds and the garden would be worth its weight in gold.  Not to mention, my house was vacant for a few years before I bought it, so the yard was a jungle.  Also, I tore it up when I put in a basement.  I don't know if I have a single blade of grass, just weeds.  Going to tear it up and seed it at some point, and the irrigation system would be amazing.

Did you do your own or have someone do it?  I've thought about having someone design it and then doing it myself.  The videos I've seen look pretty easy, I just need someone to tell me where to put everything.

I have a client who does this, so I hired him. Besides the reciprocation, I don’t have the time , or ability, to do it myself 

• Like 2

Our Super Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes are going insane here. Probably have a couple dozen little green tomatoes already! We get a lot of sun and heat up here on the terrace. My slicer tomatoes are flowering, but no fruit yet.

One thing kind of disturbing this year is that we haven't seen any bees yet. Just some yellow jackets when our peony plant was blooming. Am hoping they are just getting a late start this year.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 12:05 PM, Leathernecks said:

I haven't checked today, but yesterday I had some decent sized blossoms that are still closed that will probably open in the next day or two.

I think my brandywine's take longer than 2-3 weeks to ripen, but some of the smaller tomatoes can go pretty quick.  Maybe because once I see the brandywines start, I check them every day like a kid waiting for Christmas.

I missed this earlier, but wanted to quote it to say that I am EXACTLY the same. My poor wife gets multiple daily updates about flowering and fruiting on each of our tomato plants. 😂

31 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I missed this earlier, but wanted to quote it to say that I am EXACTLY the same. My poor wife gets multiple daily updates about flowering and fruiting on each of our tomato plants. 😂

Yesterday, I put my puppy in her crate for a few minutes just so I could go out and check to see if the flower on my tomato had opened yet.  I don't think I was her favorite parent at that point (and I'm her only parent!).

• Like 1