Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

What a cutie.  And does look guilty.  Could not love her.... though.

I felt so bad after that picture. Tried to help her out of the garden, and her foot got caught in the fence. Crying, kicking, and screaming before I finally got her out. I sacrificed an ear of corn for her after that.

10 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I felt so bad after that picture. Tried to help her out of the garden, and her foot got caught in the fence. Crying, kicking, and screaming before I finally got her out. I sacrificed an ear of corn for her after that.

Awwwww ! Still a cutie.

• Like 1

@Reacher

It's dark out now but I will take a pick soon. I toss all my fall garbage, pumpkins, pots, whatever, in the garden every year. Had a squash plant start growing back in March.  Decided to let it do its thing,  it's going nuts! Its growing up the back of my house and has taken over half my back yard. I probably have 25 pumpkin/gourd hybrids growing right now plus blooms all over the place. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Reacher

It's dark out now but I will take a pick soon. I toss all my fall garbage, pumpkins, pots, whatever, in the garden every year. Had a squash plant start growing back in March.  Decided to let it do its thing,  it's going nuts! Its growing up the back of my house and has taken over half my back yard. I probably have 25 pumpkin/gourd hybrids growing right now plus blooms all over the place. 

I have squash too. Harvested 5 so far. Lots of blooms as well. 

40 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I didn’t have time to pick anything during the week, and I have a few pepperoncini peppers that turned red on me. I'm assuming thats still something I can use. Anybody ever had red pepperoncinis?

They are still edible.  However, the redder they get, the more flavor they lose.

• Like 1

I have both landscaping and gardening going on. 

This tree is coming down. We’re putting in a fence and it is too dead to trust. I got one part done, but I’ll need a ladder for the rest. 

My tomato plants are holding on. One was eaten by the worm I posted and has recovered. I have 4 tomatoes but none are ripe. I’m impressively bad at growing things. 

A62C059A-57F4-4FC0-A2F3-2467A48CF03E.jpeg

05F1AFA3-2ABD-44A1-8420-83014C348BB0.jpeg

3 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

I have both landscaping and gardening going on. 

This tree is coming down. We’re putting in a fence and it is too dead to trust. I got one part done, but I’ll need a ladder for the rest. 

My tomato plants are holding on. One was eaten by the worm I posted and has recovered. I have 4 tomatoes but none are ripe. I’m impressively bad at growing things. 

A62C059A-57F4-4FC0-A2F3-2467A48CF03E.jpeg

05F1AFA3-2ABD-44A1-8420-83014C348BB0.jpeg

Per my eye, that tree has been well beyond questionable for 2-3 years at least. Put that ole girl to rest, She done.

I'm surprised that your Tomato plant's don't have more foliage (even considering the worm). do you have any holes drilled in your buckets for excess water to leak out? I'm not saying that they should or shouldn't, I'm trying to draw a correlation to a new method I tried this year. 

Also, how much direct sun to those M'aitter's get a day?

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 8:20 PM, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Per my eye, that tree has been well beyond questionable for 2-3 years at least. Put that ole girl to rest, She done.

I'm surprised that your Tomato plant's don't have more foliage (even considering the worm). do you have any holes drilled in your buckets for excess water to leak out? I'm not saying that they should or shouldn't, I'm trying to draw a correlation to a new method I tried this year. 

Also, how much direct sun to those M'aitter's get a day?

Yes it has been dead a while now. We’re putting a fence in so it needs to go before it breaks a part of it. 

The tomatoes get some sun but not a ton. Do they need full sun?

11 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

Yes it has been dead a while now. We’re putting a fence in so it needs to go before it breaks a part of it. 

The tomatoes get some sun but not a ton. Do they need full sun?

Yea they do need some sun and I think direct is preferred, but why I asked was more about correlating how my plants have done this year. I used Straw bale gardening a couple years ago and it was awesome. This year I tested the same, only the bales are wrapped in a plastic bag. I was experimenting with this holding the moisture in better for the dry part of the summer. I am not impressed with this years crop. It actually seems that the moisture retention is worse than just plan ole bales. 

• 2 weeks later...

Do any of you freeze sweet corn for later this fall or winter? One of my farmers markets is closing up after this weekend and going to buy a bunch of corn today. Doing some research I was going to just make it normal. Knife it off the cob put in bags and freeze. Another lady was saying she actually shucks the corn and puts the uncooked cob in bags in freezer. Which way works best for fresh sweet corn taste come October or whenever?

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Do any of you freeze sweet corn for later this fall or winter? One of my farmers markets is closing up after this weekend and going to buy a bunch of corn today. Doing some research I was going to just make it normal. Knife it off the cob put in bags and freeze. Another lady was saying she actually shucks the corn and puts the uncooked cob in bags in freezer. Which way works best for fresh sweet corn taste come October or whenever?

We just knife it off and put in bags. Freezes well. I guess if you want the eating off the cob experience you could freeze the whole thing. Never tried that

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

We just knife it off and put in bags. Freezes well. I guess if you want the eating off the cob experience you could freeze the whole thing. Never tried that

That's what I ended up doing with first couple dozen. Just want to see how it plays out taste wise. Hopefully come Turkey time I'll have a nice treat.

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's what I ended up doing with first couple dozen. Just want to see how it plays out taste wise. Hopefully come Turkey time I'll have a nice treat.

Dollars to a dozen.  Better tasting than any frozen corn you can buy in the store.

Editing to add :

HOW TO COOK FROZEN CORN ON THE COB • Loaves and Dishes

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1

My favorite time of garden season.  Habanero hot sauce.  Been hauling in the load pictured below about every 2-3 days for the last month. 

Favorite pepper is habanero but grew a couple cajun bell pepper plant this year which will been an annual thing now. I recommend giving them a try. 

Cajun bell's are the 2 smaller reds in the bottom right. Tolerable heat, delicious flavor. 

20200908_190413.jpg

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...