Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

12 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

My stepdad would go to save a lot and get the cardboard flats that 48 tin cans would come on and probably have a 100+ starts that we would go plant in the woods. He smoked it, my dad did too. But how many 7 year olds help their stepdad plant weed. We were outlaws.  

Both of them asked me to pee in a cup. It wasnt until high school health class when I put it all together.  Whatever.  Weed is just a plant. 

Outlaws indeed. 

53AD07E1-68D0-47BC-A676-3D9D5F01F926.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rico said:

Supposed to be pushing 70 outside today.  Really want to plant something.

Was 66 here yesterday. We’ve been enjoying lunch breaks on the terrace lately, but it was too hot and sunny yesterday!

I need to start getting all my pots ready for planting and go get some more potting soil. Love the excitement of planting things in the spring. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rico said:

Supposed to be pushing 70 outside today.  Really want to plant something.

No clue if this is accurate but my aunt always says April 25th is last frost date. She started the seeds already inside so we can transfer shortly after that date. I'm starting early this year. Last year I didn't get stuff in until Memorial Day. Goal this year is tomatoes by 4th of July.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

No clue if this is accurate but my aunt always says April 25th is last frost date. She started the seeds already inside so we can transfer shortly after that date. I'm starting early this year. Last year I didn't get stuff in until Memorial Day. Goal this year is tomatoes by 4th of July.

Sounds about right for last frost date.  I was thinking my region north of Champaign is sometime in the last week of April.  I try to get my things ready to plant by about April 15th, and start checking the extended forecast from there.

This year, I am going to plant some seeds in the garden around April 1st.  Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll sprout and grow, and it will save me a little time.  I've had some volunteer seeds come up from the previous year, and they always seem to do better when they start outside compared to starting in a container.  No idea if it will work or not, but I've got plenty of seeds.  Might as well give it a shot.

• Like 1

The snow is finally gone from my yard this week. Still saw some ice on a lake Tues but have to figure that might be gone now as well. Going to be cooler this weekend but going to try and get an early round of fertilizer down. Seems like the costs for that have been rising. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Reacher said:

The snow is finally gone from my yard this week. Still saw some ice on a lake Tues but have to figure that might be gone now as well. Going to be cooler this weekend but going to try and get an early round of fertilizer down. Seems like the costs for that have been rising. 

Speaking of fertilizer, my Aunt and I got into an argument the other day about it.  She says Triple 12 is best for the garden.  I disagreed.  

Curious as to what everybody here uses.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Speaking of fertilizer, my Aunt and I got into an argument the other day about it.  She says Triple 12 is best for the garden.  I disagreed.  

Curious as to what everybody here uses.

I have plenty of home made fertilizer :)

We usually put an ad on craigslist in April for freebie fertilizer and have them lined up out the lot gate...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

Feel free to drop some off next time you are up this way visiting your daughter! :D

I would!

She's got her own "fertilizer machine" now...

As for the people who will be coming in April to get mine, it's BYOT&S (Bring your own trailer and shovel)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I have plenty of home made fertilizer :)

We usually put an ad on craigslist in April for freebie fertilizer and have them lined up out the lot gate...

All I know is you spread it around here pretty thick!  LOL

Sorry Bro, I couldn't help myself!

• Haha 3