Jump to content

Landscaping / Gardening thread


Reacher
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, rico said:

Well my lawn got it's first cut today.  And while I was at it I tilled the garden.  83 degrees as I type.  Supposed to be back down to freezing by mid week.

I'm waiting out this last cold shot mid week and tomatoes and peppers going in next weekend. Ready to start the T-65-80 window on my Goliath Hybrid's. Good luck!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rico said:

Well my lawn got it's first cut today.  And while I was at it I tilled the garden.  83 degrees as I type.  Supposed to be back down to freezing by mid week.

Same here. Also gave the landscaping a shot of weed killer and fungicide,  started tilling some bare spots in the grass and reinforced the corner of a retention wall that a contractor left. Had dirt washing around the corner. 
 

On the bright side, discovered that my 10 year old is both strong enough and pretty good at mixing a 5 gallon bucket of quick set cement. Bout time I got some return on that investment. He’s getting drafted next time I’ve got drywall mud to mix. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rico said:

Well my lawn got it's first cut today.  And while I was at it I tilled the garden.  83 degrees as I type.  Supposed to be back down to freezing by mid week.

Mowed mine the other day. Today we planted 31 trees with tons more to go. Trying to get a wind break/road break. We need to finish the trees and then next we will move to tilling up the garden. Too much to do in too little time!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Mowed mine the other day. Today we planted 31 trees with tons more to go. Trying to get a wind break/road break. We need to finish the trees and then next we will move to tilling up the garden. Too much to do in too little time!

What kind of trees?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Giant arborvitaes and leyland cypress.

When you say giant are you talking more than 10 feet? Looking for options to have a fence like feel without having a fence and I keep hearing about arborvitaes as a great option. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

When you say giant are you talking more than 10 feet? Looking for options to have a fence like feel without having a fence and I keep hearing about arborvitaes as a great option. 

If you want 10-15 feet tall get regular arborvitaes. The "giant" versions can get 50 feet tall. We live out in the country so we want them big ha. They are only like 8 inches tall right now though.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Who has been busy in their yard lately? This past weekend I edged and enlarged some of my beds preparing for mulch.  Wife planted some annuals. I'm thinking 2-3 yards of mulch for one of these upcoming weekends.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Fresh basil is the best. 

Had a fresh garden salad with basil and lemon vinegarrette a couple nights ago. 

I've been eating green onions from my garden for a week already. Just waiting for the Romaine to get going. Hoping this hot spell won't ruin it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I've been eating green onions from my garden for a week already. Just waiting for the Romaine to get going. Hoping this hot spell won't ruin it. 

I'm trying something new this year and bought some leeks to plant 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Reacher said:

Who has been busy in their yard lately? This past weekend I edged and enlarged some of my beds preparing for mulch.  Wife planted some annuals. I'm thinking 2-3 yards of mulch for one of these upcoming weekends.

I have my tomato and peppers in. The seeds we started around April 1st have been hit and miss. Couple just died last night. Could be wind or high temps but feeling good just to get them going.

Going to help my Aunt tomorrow get most of her stuff in...which is ultimately mine and friends stuff. 70 years old and can barely walk for time being but we have 10 Beefsteak and Goliath Hybrids going into tomorrow....as well as Peppers. Holding off on zucchini, squash, radishes and things. Just want to get the main guests of the summer going.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Finished up the main garden this weekend. Still planting some pumpkins, strawberries, melons in other areas.

image0(83).jpeg

Looks great! Beautiful day to get the hands dirty too. Have a few more to go on my end but for the most part done. Now it's up to Mother Nature and the Garden Gods.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Came home to some pretty heavy growth of our flowers and herbs. The terrace irrigation system and late May sunshine works wonders when you are gone for 10 days. Almost didn’t recognize a couple plants. It looks like it’s going to be even more of a jungle this year. 

I planted several tender lettuces from seed and we now have way too much lettuce. My wife bagged some up for the neighbors last night. 

Haven’t planted tomatoes or peppers yet, and am not sure I’m going to. The tomatoes take up so much space and get really busted looking towards the end of summer. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

 

Haven’t planted tomatoes or peppers yet, and am not sure I’m going to. The tomatoes take up so much space and get really busted looking towards the end of summer. 

A garden without maters and peppers?  Blasphemy.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...