Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I just read that you can freeze chili peppers. Simply put them in a baggie, put in freezer and should be good up to 4-6 months. Anyone ever do this? I've got so many coming in all at once I know they'll go to waste but 4 months from now in December to add to crockpot or chili? Just curious.

Pepper Pops! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I just read that you can freeze chili peppers. Simply put them in a baggie, put in freezer and should be good up to 4-6 months. Anyone ever do this? I've got so many coming in all at once I know they'll go to waste but 4 months from now in December to add to crockpot or chili? Just curious.

I do it with my jalapenos.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rico said:

I do it with my jalapenos.

And just let them naturally thaw in fridge and good to go from there? I grew up in a canning household. Canned everything and I'm pretty sure we never ate anything out of those cans. This just seems simple and easy. 

Still carry the heat into the winter?

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

And just let them naturally thaw in fridge and good to go from there? I grew up in a canning household. Canned everything and I'm pretty sure we never ate anything out of those cans. This just seems simple and easy. 

Still carry the heat into the winter?

Yep.  By my taste buds they still carry the heat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I do it every year. Whatever I will use in cooking I go ahead and dice up and just break off what I need when the time comes so I don't have tons of baggies. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Can I reuse the soil in my pots (tomato and peppers) to use for fall Mums? Or is it best to start all new again?

It's fine to reuse especially if it's for flowers. May want to mix in some fertilizer to replace nitrogen and nutrients. Watering with miracle grow should be good enough. 

I toss all my potting soil and bags in my garden every year to beef up my bed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2022 at 5:40 PM, rico said:

Yep.  By my taste buds they still carry the heat.

Following up on this from August. Doing an early Thanksgiving next weekend with one side of one of the sides of the family haha...how long or how do you thaw out your cherry tomatoes or hot peppers that we froze from garden? I keep seeing just room temp it for an hour online. Just wanted to add a touch of the garden to meal. 

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Following up on this from August. Doing an early Thanksgiving next weekend with one side of one of the sides of the family haha...how long or how do you thaw out your cherry tomatoes or hot peppers that we froze from garden? I keep seeing just room temp it for an hour online. Just wanted to add a touch of the garden to meal. 

I usually just thaw them out in the refrigerator overnight.  If they aren't completely thawed then I run some lukewarm water over them. 

Unless I'm making chili, then I just toss them in the pot. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

With it being wet and zero wind thought it would be a good day to work on getting my jungle under control. Who doesn't like fire?

I like fire. I used to have a big piece of wooded property and would do burns for the health of the forest (and because it was fun 😁). There was one area of tall grasses. Since it was a little damp and the forest wasn't burning that good, I thought It would be ok to do the grass. Boy was I wrong. The dried grass erupted in flame (imagine that!) something like 15 ft high. Fortunately, the grass quickly burnt out and the fire couldn't travel that far.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I like fire. I used to have a big piece of wooded property and would do burns for the health of the forest (and because it was fun 😁). There was one area of tall grasses. Since it was a little damp and the forest wasn't burning that good, I thought It would be ok to do the grass. Boy was I wrong. The dried grass erupted in flame (imagine that!) something like 15 ft high. Fortunately, the grass quickly burnt out and the fire couldn't travel that far.

I'm more careful than I used to be. A few years ago me and the neighbor I like went in together on the lot in between us. He reseeded the yard with those grass seed mats. I promptly set the corner of the yard on fire and had to play fireman. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm more careful than I used to be. A few years ago me and the neighbor I like went in together on the lot in between use. He reseeded the yard with those grass seed mats. I promptly set the corner of the yard on fire and had to play fireman. 

I once met one of my new neighbors, via one of my controlled burns, that actually... really wasn't. :)

His wife still reminds me of that and it was back in 1996.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I once met one of my new neighbors, via one of my controlled burns, that actually... really wasn't. :)

His wife still reminds me of that and it was back in 1996.

I seem to be one of those guys that people ask, so how in the hell did that happen?

I go, well everything started off fine, then out of nowhere....

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I seem to be one of those guys that people ask, so how in the hell did that happen?

I go, well everything started off fine, then out of nowhere....

A group of buddies and myself own a little piece of property along the white river. As we started getting together every month for clean ups, we would have a organization meeting to assign area's and tasks. It quickly became ritual that the assignment list would always end with "and we all know that Joe is gonna go burn some sh!t!"   I have a following :)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

For the first time in a long time I didn't get around to doing a garden last year. Which was OK because the weather sucked. 

I'm going to make up for it this season. Started saving my coffee grounds this week.  Should have a boatload come planting time. Also getting a head start on buying seeds for my herbs and greens. It's snowing out so figured it would be a good day to start. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

For the first time in a long time I didn't get around to doing a garden last year. Which was OK because the weather sucked. 

I'm going to make up for it this season. Started saving my coffee grounds this week.  Should have a boatload come planting time. Also getting a head start on buying seeds for my herbs and greens. It's snowing out so figured it would be a good day to start. 

Question, how do you get your coffee grinds out of Kcups 🤣

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

Totally Tomatoes has a free magazine they'll send out to you. I actually ordered some seeds already but my aunt has turned her basement into a grow lab basically. Trying to get them started earlier because I'm convinced there is no reason I can't have fresh tomato in June instead of waiting for July.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Totally Tomatoes has a free magazine they'll send out to you. I actually ordered some seeds already but my aunt has turned her basement into a grow lab basically. Trying to get them started earlier because I'm convinced there is no reason I can't have fresh tomato in June instead of waiting for July.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out. I'm with you. It stinks waiting until late summer for tomatoes. Then they explode all at once. I'd like to try planting them with a week or two gap in between.  Maybe 2 one week the 2 the next or the week after. Then a couple more. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Thanks, I'll have to check that out. I'm with you. It stinks waiting until late summer for tomatoes. Then they explode all at once. I'd like to try planting them with a week or two gap in between.  Maybe 2 one week the 2 the next or the week after. Then a couple more. 

Now that's funny never even thought of doing it that way because you're right they come all at once and you end up giving half away (fun to do anyway). 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...