Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

48 minutes ago, rico said:

This weather sucks.  The GF was disappointed she didn't get her flower seeds in over the week-end due to the forecast.  

Be glad you got some seeds. Notice any MI people coming over the state line to buy? Maybe seed stores will start popping up along the Interstate like the Fireworks stores that want all the IL business. https://www.rt.com/usa/485572-michigan-seeds-sale-ban-coronavirus/

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

Be glad you got some seeds. Notice any MI people coming over the state line to buy? Maybe seed stores will start popping up along the Interstate like the Fireworks stores that want all the IL business. https://www.rt.com/usa/485572-michigan-seeds-sale-ban-coronavirus/

I read this as well......

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/pushing-too-far-michigan-governor-criticized-for-aggressive-social-distancing-orders

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rico said:

This weather sucks.  The GF was disappointed she didn't get her flower seeds in over the week-end due to the forecast.  

I did a ton last week....glad that I did. Agree with your weather assessment. Sounds like a few more days of below before normal returns.

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

My buddies company out in NW Suburbs is going crazy to keep stores full. Weather this weeks actually gives them a moment to catch up a bit. Good work on flowers! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, DWB said:

It's a LOT if you're old like me...not so much if you're a young gun.

I'll say this. At the beginning it seems like a big pile but load after load....wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow it starts to shrink and finally you get to the end. Pretty gratifying actually and my aunts neighbor is very happy. Good deal all the way around. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't know if it's considered much or not. I just did 8 cubic yards of mulch today. Would love to know how many bags that is. It feels like a lot and the first and second beers will have a short life. 

My trailer will hold 3, heaped and patted down. 8 is a lot in my book. You may need an opiate pain killer later.. lol  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't know if it's considered much or not. I just did 8 cubic yards of mulch today. Would love to know how many bags that is. It feels like a lot and the first and second beers will have a short life. 

You're crazy! I did 6 cubic yards by myself two years ago and I was aching all over afterwards! You are a wild man doing 8! I think the 3rd and 4th beers will have a short life as well! Drink up...you earned it!!

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

You're crazy! I did 6 cubic yards by myself two years ago and I was aching all over afterwards! You are a wild man doing 8! I think the 3rd and 4th beers will have a short life as well! Drink up...you earned it!!

My back and arms are killing me....the 3rd and 4th beers didn't have a long life either. I'm going to feel zero guilt devouring chicken nuggets, fries, and whatever else is on the menu tonight. Damn. The fun part is this though. Something so refreshing and honest about doing hard manual labor. I was raised that way. Been a white collar guy most of my life but never forget your roots. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My back and arms are killing me....the 3rd and 4th beers didn't have a long life either. I'm going to feel zero guilt devouring chicken nuggets, fries, and whatever else is on the menu tonight. Damn. The fun part is this though. Something so refreshing and honest about doing hard manual labor. I was raised that way. Been a white collar guy most of my life but never forget your roots. 

I get like that too. I try to do home improvement projects and landscape/yardwork frequently. I have done 6 cubic yards of mulch twice...once with no help from wife ha. I think she smartened up after the first time. We have a little over 2 acres now with woods/water part of it...and I just planted 95 (still small...about 12-14 inches each) giant green arborvitaes this week. It doesn't compare to the mulch, but I was tired afterwards. Enjoy your beer and food tonight...it was well earned!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I get like that too. I try to do home improvement projects and landscape/yardwork frequently. I have done 6 cubic yards of mulch twice...once with no help from wife ha. I think she smartened up after the first time. We have a little over 2 acres now with woods/water part of it...and I just planted 95 (still small...about 12-14 inches each) giant green arborvitaes this week. It doesn't compare to the mulch, but I was tired afterwards. Enjoy your beer and food tonight...it was well earned!

95? Darn. That's actually more difficult and annoying because each one has to be perfect. I'm a sucker for grunt work but when doing plants that's more scientific than I like. Tell you one thing. I started researching price points for basic mulch, debris removal,etc....in my hood. Can't believe what people pay. I might have to look into a third career. Easy loot and you get in shape doing it. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 9:55 PM, Leathernecks said:

Here's the progress of all of my veggies.20200421_202745.thumb.jpg.4d797dba9296a42e5cb81d4c9497322f.jpg

Impressive! We don't have the space to grow from seed, so I normally buy tomato and pepper seedlings from our local nursery. This year I had to order from Burpee and my Super Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes, Madame Marmand beefsteak tomatoes, and three different pepper plants arrived today.

They look a little beaten up from shipping, but not too bad. I'll let them recover a few days inside in a sunny window and then harden them off starting this weekend.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My neighbor ordered 10 tons of stone to rebuild his sea wall. Sounded like a lot to me but once it was delivered it really wasn’t. In fact, he just had another 10 tons dumped yesterday.

I need about 75 feet of lakefront rebuilt and need to figure a way to calculate how much stone to order.

Envisioning many wheelbarrow trips back and forth to move that much stone 

11 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

My neighbor ordered 10 tons of stone to rebuild his sea wall. Sounded like a lot to me but once it was delivered it really wasn’t. In fact, he just had another 10 tons dumped yesterday.

I need about 75 feet of lakefront rebuilt and need to figure a way to calculate how much stone to order.

Envisioning many wheelbarrow trips back and forth to move that much stone 

I have no experience in sea walls but the rule of thumb is 1 ton of stone equals 2/3 of a cubic yard.  So you need to figure your length x width x depth.  27 cubic feet=1 cubic yard.  Normally aggregate places have a little pocket guide(slide rule) to help with the process.  

P.S.  Rent a Bobcat

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, rico said:

P.S.  Rent a Bobcat

WAIT! We better find out about his coordination to do 4 different things with his hands and feet, all simultaneously first. After all, he will be maneuvering around a wall that has water at the bottom of it on the other side. This could get very interesting, very quickly.  

• Haha 1

Planted my tomato seedlings today after hardening them off for about a week - just three heirloom slicers and three cherry tomato. One advantage of being home during this is being able to take my plants in and out after a few hours in the sun/wind. Will plant peppers tomorrow. Each year, I seem to never have enough containers for planting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Planted my tomato seedlings today after hardening them off for about a week - just three heirloom slicers and three cherry tomato. One advantage of being home during this is being able to take my plants in and out after a few hours in the sun/wind. Will plant peppers tomorrow. Each year, I seem to never have enough containers for planting.

I feel like I've been a helicopter parent to my seedlings. I'm sure they're ready to go outside to get away from me. Usually I'm a neglectful seedling parent.

7 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I feel like I've been a helicopter parent to my seedlings. I'm sure they're ready to go outside to get away from me. Usually I'm a neglectful seedling parent.

Ha, am the same way. I do the every time I walk by run my hands along the top of them to get them used to wind. I'm sure they are like, "Dude, here he comes again touching our heads..."

• Like 1

FYI...Low 80's yesterday in Indy....potential freeze warnings in forecast for next weekend. Seeing forecasts for low temps all over the place. Guess I could just bring them inside. Or just wait another week. I really want to get going but not if it's going to kill my plants. Haha

Edited by Seeking6

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

FYI...Low 80's yesterday in Indy....potential freeze warnings in forecast for next weekend. Seeing forecasts for low temps all over the place. Guess I could just bring them inside. Or just wait another week. I really want to get going but not if it's going to kill my plants. Haha

I am gonna bite the bullet and put my maters and peppers in...

• Like 3