Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

I posted some in progress pics of my front bed redo project earlier. Below is the finished result. Just need a year or 2 for the plants to mature now. There will be some ferns around the tree. I brought in the outcropping and stepping stones. 500+ pounds. A 2 wheel dolly made placing them a breeze. Really not a fan of the stone but since the other side had it, needed to retain it. Use Mulch in the back. 

Also started making a garden bed for my wife. The yard slopes down at the back so bought 9 5"x5"x8' treated landscape timbers to frame and level. Hope to get a pickup full of dirt this week and finish this coming weekend. Will post a pic of that when I'm done. 

20200503_105701.jpg

20200503_105638.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I posted some in progress pics of my front bed redo project earlier. Below is the finished result. Just need a year or 2 for the plants to mature now. There will be some ferns around the tree. I brought in the outcropping and stepping stones. 500+ pounds. A 2 wheel dolly made placing them a breeze. Really not a fan of the stone but since the other side had it, needed to retain it. Use Mulch in the back. 

Also started making a garden bed for my wife. The yard slopes down at the back so bought 9 5"x5"x8' treated landscape timbers to frame and level. Hope to get a pickup full of dirt this week and finish this coming weekend. Will post a pic of that when I'm done. 

20200503_105701.jpg

Looks great! I see some salvia (few different kinds) and phlox in there?

15 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Looks great! I see some salvia (few different kinds) and phlox in there?

There is a hydrangea in the middle, a row of boxwoods, flanked by ninebark, some hostas in the back corner. Not sure of anything else as the wife picks it out. Keeping the area front and center open as some more annuals will be going in. Think you might be right about the phlox- that sounds familiar. As for the salvia- I'll take your word on it :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

There is a hydrangea in the middle, a row of boxwoods, flanked by ninebark, some hostas in the back corner. Not sure of anything else as the wife picks it out. Keeping the area front and center open as some more annuals will be going in. Think you might be right about the phlox- that sounds familiar. As for the salvia- I'll take your word on it :) 

Salvias are over towards the left by the door. Must get better sun there. If your wife is planting salvias she knows what she's doing. They are really hardy and don't require regular watering. Plus they look really cool as they get going later in the season.

15 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Salvias are over towards the left by the door. Must get better sun there. If your wife is planting salvias she knows what she's doing. They are really hardy and don't require regular watering. Plus they look really cool as they get going later in the season.

Yes, the wife confirms the presence of Salvia. Couldn't find out if there were multiple because the topic changed to what would prompt me to ask about salvia, lol. The left side does get mid day sun whereas the right is under a large tree.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/3/2020 at 8:21 AM, Lostin76 said:

Ha, am the same way. I do the every time I walk by run my hands along the top of them to get them used to wind. I'm sure they are like, "Dude, here he comes again touching our heads..."

I feel bad, I've treated mine like red headed step Cabbage's. My greens Leek on themselves when I walk by, but my Peas all stick together super well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I think my seedlings were happy it was cold and rainy today.  They look a little beat up after spending most of the last few days outside.  Looks like they'll be back out the next couple days and then in for a few.  This weather is crazy right now.

I'm a weather fan and the term that is being thrown around is called "jet weirding"....basically climate change because of environmental changes/shifts,etc....I'm usually pretty up on terms but never heard this one before. Good luck with plants! Calling for all time record lows here in Indy on Saturday morning I believe. Definitely get things covered up or brought inside.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm a weather fan and the term that is being thrown around is called "jet weirding"....basically climate change because of environmental changes/shifts,etc....I'm usually pretty up on terms but never heard this one before. Good luck with plants! Calling for all time record lows here in Indy on Saturday morning I believe. Definitely get things covered up or brought inside.

We are looking at mid to high 30s here on Fri and Sat nights. I might drag my tomatoes and peppers inside those two nights. They are in pretty big containers, but movable. Our tiny 500 sq ft apartment will be filled with plants for a couple days. 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

We are looking at mid to high 30s here on Fri and Sat nights. I might drag my tomatoes and peppers inside those two nights. They are in pretty big containers, but movable. Our tiny 500 sq ft apartment will be filled with plants for a couple days. 😂

Yep. My cousin lives way up in Washington Heights but he's got Hoosier in him. He's dragging his plants in. Just over 600 square feet. Him, girlfriend, two workstations and now several pots. Not much room to stretch out. Haha.

• Like 1

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Yep. My cousin lives way up in Washington Heights but he's got Hoosier in him. He's dragging his plants in. Just over 600 square feet. Him, girlfriend, two workstations and now several pots. Not much room to stretch out. Haha.

That sounds EXACTLY like our set up, except add two miniature dachshunds to the mix.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Anybody have any good tips to get the voles/moles tunneling through my flower bed? 

Also, what's the difference between these a-holes? Do you get rid on them the same way?

Have 76 come over with those 2 Dachshunds. THose are great mole'rs! I've got awesome holes all over the yard from mine! lol

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Anybody have any good tips to get the voles/moles tunneling through my flower bed? 

Also, what's the difference between these a-holes? Do you get rid on them the same way?

Old neighbor that owned an Ace Hardware store turned me onto this method. Lawn Chair, beer, pitchfork, patience.

I'll flatten the tunnels when I mow, look for their reemergence, then set up with the items above.

My son actually had his arm broken from one of those tunnels. My mother was over carrying him around in the backyard was he was 8 months old. Stepped on a tunnel, lost her balance and fell on my son. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

That is definitely a new term for me too!

We're calling for 30 degrees Friday night.  Not really warming up until the middle of next week.  I was hoping to plant outside before then.  My cucumbers and zucchini are already flowering!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rico said:

Welp, "Ask and ye shall receive"... frost that is.  Supposed to be a hard one Friday night into Saturday morning.  Got the sheets ready to cover my maters and peppers.

Remember, never use plastic to cover plants.

Was thinking what to use. Considered drop cloths. Gonna get a couple cheap sheets now. Makes sense, plastic would hold in condensation and freeze. 

Have 20'x30' to cover. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Was thinking what to use. Considered drop cloths. Gonna get a couple cheap sheets now. Makes sense, plastic would hold in condensation and freeze. 

Have 20'x30' to cover. 

Don't forget about buckets...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I was at a garden center a week ago, and you inspired me to get a couple plants.  I think I'm up to 4 or 5 different kinds of peppers now.

Trust me. You will not be unhappy. Great to have a variety.  Just keep a good eye on them. As peppers tend to progress at different rates. Just looking at them. You will know when they are ready to be picked.  Picked and enjoyed.