Date Yourself!

Drroogh

Kind of a get to know each other thread, even if a lot of us already have a pretty good idea how old others are!

List three things that will help identify how old you are. One of them has to be Indiana Basketball related!

1) I remember the cheapest gas I ever bought was 26¢

2) I was in Thomas Elementary Grade School in Chesterton when we got news of the Kennedy assassination! 

3) I was a senior in High school when George McGinnis was playing at IU.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to my first Indy 500 when I was 6. My Dad was pissed when we stopped by White Castle before the race because they had just raised the price of a burger to 12¢.

I got my first IU autograph from Senior Jon McGlocklin

The first ever satellite preceded me by 13 days

Earliest IUBB National Championship in my lifetime was ‘87.

Was kicked off the high school basketball team for an earring in class not on the court. Myself and one other. That might land a coach in hot water these days. Maybe not.

Played football for Coach Mo.

As for the White Castle comparison, cheapest I remember is maybe 30 cents.

Pretended to be Joe Montana and Jerry Rice as a kid. 49ers have won 5 championships in my lifetime.

When I was a child, our phone was mounted on the wall, and still had the ear piece on a cord /separate mouth piece. Lighting destroyed it, and the phone co. replaced it with a rotary dial one, mounted in the same wood case. 

My 1st recollection of college bball was watching Big 10 game of the week on a 13 " b&w TV. We listened to HS games on the radio. 

I still have my Post and Pickett slide rules, that I used in High School and my first 2 years at IU. 

I can still read and write cursive. 😁

2 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

When I was a child, our phone was mounted on the wall, and still had the ear piece on a cord /separate mouth piece. Lighting destroyed it, and the phone co. replaced it with a rotary dial one, mounted in the same wood case. 

My 1st recollection of college bball was watching Big 10 game of the week on a 13 " b&w TV. We listened to HS games on the radio. 

I still have my Post and Pickett slide rules, that I used in High School and my first 2 years at IU. 

Don't forget your vacation on the arc!  :)

3 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

Man I had completely forgotten about how much phones have changed haha

39 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Played football for Coach Mo.

Mo Moriarity? Went to high school with him...his brother, Terry, was in my class...

Also had Tom McKinney as a History teacher when I went to Franklin Community for my senior year...

I remember standing in line with grade school classmates watching kids get their polio shots.

My first IU memory was sitting on the floor listening to Jimmy Rayl, the Splendid Splinter, drop 56 on Minnesota.

I was with my dad when he caught a foul ball off the bat of Gus Bell, the grandfather of the Reds present manager, David Bell, at Crosley Field.

4 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

I can remember an Aeronautical Engineering test my senior year when I had to go back to the slide rule, because my calculator died! I think my professor gave me extra credit because I admitted using a slide rule. As I worked my way through a problem, I finally wrote on the test "I don't know how to get the fifth root of a number on a slide rule!"

Milkman delivered milk twice a week in a horse drawn carriage. There were cars, but the milk company had not bought any trucks at first.  It was a big deal when they switched over to a truck. I missed hearing the clippity clop coming down the street. Once people started buying fridges, switching over from ice boxes, which was a weekly iceman delivery, the milk was delivered just once a week

Mention has been made about White Castle's.  Had to travel from Gary to Hammond to get our White Castle fix  at 8 cents each. Jumped to 10 cents each. And we were aghast when they went to 12 cents each. Had a relative, that said he wasn't driving to Hammond anymore for that price.

Oh.... I've got more. But I will stop here for now.

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Mo Moriarity? Went to high school with him...his brother, Terry, was in my class...

Also had Tom McKinney as a History teacher when I went to Franklin Community for my senior year...

Yep Coach Mo Moriarity.

I was offered a full ride to Franklin that I passed on through my internship at Odle McGuire Shook.

13 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Yep Coach Mo Moriarity.

I was offered a full ride to Franklin that I passed on through my internship at Odle McGuire Shook.

Mo was one tough hombre...great high school linebacker...I saw him knock 2 kids into the old accordian steam heaters in the wrestling room of the old Glenn Curtis Memorial gym...1 on 2 drill...Coach Sidewicz loved those drills, and Mo was his favorite player...

Archived