Date Yourself!

Drroogh

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I though this thread was going to be about who I took to my Junior prom,

:coffee:

I went on a remote tour (can't take family) to Sondrestrom AB Greenland, in 1988...walked into the NCO Club one night, and a friend of mine was sitting at the end of the bar, palm upturned, pouring beer on his hand...I asked him, "Mark, what the hell are you doing?" 

"Getting my date drunk."

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Yes I ate correct  woodburn all second floor best public bathroom stall ever

I was partial to the adult side of IMU. I worked at the Tudor Room for 3 years at IU. Best cans on campus was enter IMU. Go upstairs...and instead of heading right...go left towards the Admin wing. Carpet, quiet, and spacious...

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I was partial to the adult side of IMU. I worked at the Tudor Room for 3 years at IU. Best cans on campus was enter IMU. Go upstairs...and instead of heading right...go left towards the Admin wing. Carpet, quiet, and spacious...

Second floor bathroom in Woodburn wasgreat. Way oversized.  My roommate told me about it and then I told my girlfriends about it and we just happened to find time a few times a week to " run" into each other there. 

36 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

1. Cheapest gas I ever seen was .79 cents

2. Wasnt alive when Kennedy was shot but remember George HW Bush saying "read my lips, now new taxes".

3.  Was a jr in HS when IU made the 2002 run. 

I remember getting in trouble for doodling a pic of a lady lifting her dress over her head with a caption " read my lips no more Bush"

I was pre-school and still have vivid memories of my dad stoking our coal fired furnace in the basement before we went to bed at night. We had a coal bin in the basement. With a window out, and a coal chute instead.  Coal delivered in the fall. Before the cold hit.  Truck delivered the coal. It was an exciting time to watch the coal delivery to the coal chute. At first by hand with a wheel barrow. Took a long time to fill the bin. Then, the truck was equipped with a conveyor belt. Got the job done quickly.  Not as much fun to watch. But still exciting.

Later, we took the coal furnace out. And replaced it with an oil burning furnace. Two oil tanks in the old coal bin.  With a pipe line running from the tanks to the furnace. Now instead of the coal delivery, we got an oil delivery each fall.  Wow. My dad no longer had to tend the furnace in the winter time !

And then. Northern Indiana Public Service company buried a gas line from the alley to the back of our house, one summer. And converted the furnace from an oil burner to a gas burner.  It was fun watching them cut the oil tanks out  and removing them.  Even an automatic thermostat.

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I was pre-school and still have vivid memories of my dad stoking our coal fired furnace in the basement before we went to bed at night. We had a coal bin in the basement. With a window out, and a coal chute instead.  Coal delivered in the fall. Before the cold hit.  Truck delivered the coal. It was an exciting time to watch the coal delivery to the coal chute. At first by hand with a wheel barrow. Took a long time to fill the bin. Then, the truck was equipped with a conveyor belt. Got the job done quickly.  Not as much fun to watch. But still exciting.

Later, we took the coal furnace out. And replaced it with an oil burning furnace. Two oil tanks in the old coal bin.  With a pipe line running from the tanks to the furnace. Now instead of the coal delivery, we got an oil delivery each fall.  Wow. My dad no longer had to tend the furnace in the winter time !

And then. Northern Indiana Public Service company buried a gas line from the alley to the back of our house, one summer. And converted the furnace from an oil burner to a gas burner.  It was fun watching them cut the oil tanks out  and removing them.  Even an automatic thermostat.

Dang mile, I knew you were older, but that much different? I can remember coal shoots in the house, but never remembered them being used or even talked about other than to explain what they used to be! 

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Dang mile, I knew you were older, but that much different? I can remember coal shoots in the house, but never remembered them being used or even talked about other than to explain what they used to be! 

I am in my early 70's. Loved my childhood and have great memories of growing up. 

-------------------------------------

Someone mentioned lining up in school. To get a polio shot. In the nurse's office. Yes we had a school nurse, even then.   I remember that as well. And getting the shot. Still remember the nurse putting the bandage on my arm after getting my shot.  It was something we did not think much of. Just something we did.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I am in my early 70's. Loved my childhood and have great memories of growing up. 

Someone mentioned lining up in school. To get a polio shot. In the nurse's office. Yes we had a school nurse, even then.   I remember that as well. And getting the shot. Still remember the nurse putting the bandage on my arm after getting my shot.  It was something we did not think much of. Just something we did.

I remember polio shots as well, also remember a row of desks and chairs being bolted to a pair of boards so as to being one. They also had a hole in the top to accept ink wells. No, we didn't have ink wells, but we could have! I also remember air raid drills where we hid under our desks in case there was a nuclear attack! Like that was going to protect us?

55 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I remember polio shots as well, also remember a row of desks and chairs being bolted to a pair of boards so as to being one. They also had a hole in the top to accept ink wells. No, we didn't have ink wells, but we could have! I also remember air raid drills where we hid under our desks in case there was a nuclear attack! Like that was going to protect us?

Well now. In grade school. Not only did we have desks with ink wells. But our teacher would put ink in them and hand out ink pens. For us to use. And we had to wash them out before handing them back to the teacher. Not sure what happened to the ink.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

No nurses office...all of us lined up in the auditorium.  We had to stand there and watch everyone get their shots.  It was torture...haha!  

11 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

No nurses office...all of us lined up in the auditorium.  We had to stand there and watch everyone get their shots.  It was torture...haha!  

That was good about our nurse's office.  Two separate rooms. Each with a bed for when kids were sick, and got to the nurse. Who then determined how sick the kids were, before calling a parent to come and pick them up, or send them back to class. One room, was where the shots were given, behind a closed door to each individual kid. So no one could see.  As the others lined up in the office, and into the hall.  Some kids came out crying after the shot. Which freaked me out. But when I came out. I came out with a smile. Saying it was not bad at all. 

As a child (5-8) my chore was to get coal from the coal pile for our coal stoves. I remember when they installed our indoor bathroom. Knights first year is when I graduated from IU. My dad wedding gift to me was an antenna with rotar so I could watch the Hoosiers on channel 4.

As a grade school youngster. I would take my transistor radio into my bedroom. Extend the antenna. And snuggle up on the bed. And wait for the local radio stations to go off the air, so that I could pull in WOWO from Fort Wayne all the way to Gary.  In order to listen to IU basketball.  That's when Walter Bellamy became my all time IU favorite player.

17 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Kind of a get to know each other thread, even if a lot of us already have a pretty good idea how old others are!

List three things that will help identify how old you are. One of them has to be Indiana Basketball related!

1) I remember the cheapest gas I ever bought was 26¢

2) I was in Thomas Elementary Grade School in Chesterton when we got news of the Kennedy assassination! 

3) I was a senior in High school when George McGinnis was playing at IU.

I'm a bit behind you, but also from Chesterton originally!

Here are mine:

1. My username (BEKA) stands for Brian Evans Kicks A**. My favorite era of IU basketball (I was a little too young for the 75-76 teams)

2. When I first moved to Bloomington, Garcia's Pizza and Karma Records were 2 of my favorite hangouts.

3. I was in middle school and there are two things I remember about March, 1981 - Ronald Reagan assassination attempt and IU winning the NCAAT. We were on our way back from a family trip to Pennsylvania and listened to everything unfold on the AM car radio the day it happened. 

21 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I remember playing on the giant snow drifts with my great grandpa in the blizzard of 78

The 81 team is the 1st team i recall seeing on TV

I had biology class with Alan Henderson

Was still in Bloomington to drink a lot of beer with Fife and Tommy Covercharge

Oh yeah - 3 weeks off school, before B-Town bought real snow plows. IU closed for the first time in decades 

On 3/21/2020 at 1:25 PM, Drroogh said:

Kind of a get to know each other thread, even if a lot of us already have a pretty good idea how old others are!

List three things that will help identify how old you are. One of them has to be Indiana Basketball related!

1) I remember the cheapest gas I ever bought was 26¢

2) I was in Thomas Elementary Grade School in Chesterton when we got news of the Kennedy assassination! 

3) I was a senior in High school when George McGinnis was playing at IU.

1. As a little kid, watching people running around crazy, turning cars on their sides and yelling and laughing like nuts, wondering what was going on. 1976 National Champions, in Bloomington. 

2. sitting in the audience at Little 500 when they filmed Breaking Away

3.  Jumping off roof top at the quarries in college at IU

Archived