Date Yourself!

Drroogh

White_Castle_Building_No._8.jpg

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

White Castles 5 cents, Gas 19.9, I could get a pop, candy bar and bologna sandwich for 25 cents. 

I remember when White Castle were sold in buildings that looked like White Castles.   Note : the price on the building. Which has been kept, but turned into a jeweler.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

1. As a little kid, watching people running around crazy, turning cars on their sides and yelling and laughing like nuts, wondering what was going on. 1976 National Champions, in Bloomington. 

2. sitting in the audience at Little 500 when they filmed Breaking Away

3.  Jumping off roof top at the quarries in college at IU

I was in the crowd watching the filming of Hoosiers in my sophomore year of high school.

One thing that irks me nowadays...

Every small burger or sandwich is deemed a "slider." 

There's only one "slider" and that's a White Castle burger of any variety...

We called them that back in the 70s, and the name was well deserved...

The rest are posers...

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

One thing that irks me nowadays...

Every small burger or sandwich is deemed a "slider." 

There's only one "slider" and that's a White Castle burger of any variety...

We called them that back in the 70s, and the name was well deserved...

The rest are posers...

Totally agree with you.  White Castle at one time had a copyright on the term "slider".  I don't know if the copyright has expired, they chose not to renew it, or simply decided it would cost them too much to challenge.

The History of Sliders

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Totally agree with you.  White Castle at one time had a copyright on the term "slider".  I don't know if the copyright has expired, they chose not to renew it, or simply decided it would cost them too much to challenge.

The History of Sliders

Initially, at least in the circles I ran in, the term "slider" was not one of endearment. 

More a commentary about the physical havoc they could wreck... 

The other term we used was "belly bombs."

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Initially, at least in the circles I ran in, the term "slider" was not one of endearment. 

More a commentary about the physical havoc they could wreck... 

The other term we used was "belly bombs."

That's true as well.  Initially was a term given to them for reasons I won't mention here. LOL

Was a time. When I grew up, and even as a teenager.  There were actual service stations, rather than gas stations.  When you pulled up to refill your gas tank. A service person would run out to meet you.  Start filling your tank, without you ever having to get out of your car. And while filling your tank. Would wash all your windows, mirrors, and headlights.  And then ask you to pop your hood, in order to check the oil level in your engine.  And if they were not busy... you got two, not one person "servicing" your car.  And then when they we done, would take your money. Run back in, and out with your change. It was especially nice when the weather was rotten when you needed gas.

19 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

That's true as well.  Initially was a term given to them for reasons I won't mention here. LOL

I, fortunately have never had digestive issues with white castle.  No problem crushing a crave case.  But I was in college then.  Not willing to try it now. 

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Was a time. When I grew up, and even as a teenager.  There were actual service stations, rather than gas stations.  When you pulled up to refill your gas tank. A service person would run out to meet you.  Start filling your tank, without you ever having to get out of your car. And while filling your tank. Would wash all your windows, mirrors, and headlights.  And then ask you to pop your hood, in order to check the oil level in your engine.  And if they were not busy... you got two, not one person "servicing" your car.  And then when they we done, would take your money. Run back in, and out with your change. It was especially nice when the weather was rotten when you needed gas.

Hey Mr. Sandman, bring a treat!

Sorry. This post reminded me of Back to the Future.  Hill Valley 1955.

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I, fortunately have never had digestive issues with white castle.  No problem crushing a crave case.  But I was in college then.  Not willing to try it now. 

Don't know how long they have been offering this alternative. But. Saw today, White Castle is offering a 20 pack.  Even at my advanced age, I think I could handle that, with a little help from my wife.

When I was a kid we had a party line with rotary phones.

The cheapest I paid for gas was 56 cents, but that was when I was mowing lawns years before I got my license.

We also had a tube tv that we would have to get new tubes for when they went out. I remember going to the five and dime to check the tubes at the kiosk and then buy the new ones.

11 minutes ago, SteveS said:

We also had a tube tv that we would have to get new tubes for when they went out. I remember going to the five and dime to check the tubes at the kiosk and then buy the new ones.

Or we called the "TV Repairman" who came to the house. And replaced the burned out tubes.  LOL

TV REPAIRMAN WINS AWARDS 1950's 

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Not able to recall much of that but growing up in the country our little town still had that in the late 70's. Sounds like a much simpler less hectic time for sure. Now ingest ticked if the pump does not run fast enough. I remember the singing sound of the pump at each dollar passed

12 hours ago, SteveS said:

When I was a kid we had a party line with rotary phones.

The cheapest I paid for gas was 56 cents, but that was when I was mowing lawns years before I got my license.

I remember those. One time a friend of my Dad had TV issues and he went over to help. Took me because the friend had boys my age. They'd take a box of tubes up and test them, come back, get some more and try again. 4th time they went out, came back with a new Curtis-Mathis TV...Boy was his wife pissed...

Screenshot_20200323-083622.png

I remember my dad talking about cheap gas when I was really little. Definitely something with a 2 handle, like 25 cents or something.  Milk was something crazily low too.  This would have been before OPEC shenanigans and stagflation where prices continuously rose.

Our first car that I can remember didn’t have air conditioning.  AM radio was the way to go back then. Even for music. 

Watergate may be one of my earliest news memories, although I have a recollection of LBJ and Truman dying, not so far apart. Walter Cronkite might as well have been the voice of God to my little ears.  

The first Hoosiers team I can recall was 1975, along with the Big Red Machine that year.  Channel 4 showed them both, which was tremendous.   

In 1976, I can remember IU just killing people and making my uncles watch them beat hapless Wisconsin by 30 or whatever, when they wanted to switch to something more competitive.  

Blizzard of 1978.  So much snow, it went well up the way on our garage door.  We went out and shoveled for hours, took a break, ate, and finished.  How about those dark, cold, winter mornings waiting for the school bus and getting to school.  It felt like spring would never come.  

To this day, the 1970s and 1980s were easily my favorite period for sports, probably because I was a kid and it felt pure.  

I remember going to a tractor sales and service place with my grandpa. He bough a new tractor, probably used but what stuck out was he said I will be in sometime , the next week or month or whatever it was to pay for it. A hand shake and they loaded the tractor and away we went. No paper work nothing but a hand shake. Along those lines, every day I went to our local store and charged a pop and candy on the family charge account. I miss those simpler times  

Archived