Date Yourself!

Drroogh

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I remember my dad talking about cheap gas when I was really little. Definitely something with a 2 handle, like 25 cents or something.  Milk was something crazily low too.  This would have been before OPEC shenanigans and stagflation where prices continuously rose.

Our first car that I can remember didn’t have air conditioning.  AM radio was the way to go back then. Even for music. 

Watergate may be one of my earliest news memories, although I have a recollection of LBJ and Truman dying, not so far apart. Walter Cronkite might as well have been the voice of God to my little ears.  

The first Hoosiers team I can recall was 1975, along with the Big Red Machine that year.  Channel 4 showed them both, which was tremendous.   

In 1976, I can remember IU just killing people and making my uncles watch them beat hapless Wisconsin by 30 or whatever, when they wanted to switch to something more competitive.  

Blizzard of 1978.  So much snow, it went well up the way on our garage door.  We went out and shoveled for hours, took a break, ate, and finished.  How about those dark, cold, winter mornings waiting for the school bus and getting to school.  It felt like spring would never come.  

To this day, the 1970s and 1980s were easily my favorite period for sports, probably because I was a kid and it felt pure.  

Loved Cronkite's news signoff... "And that's the way it is...". What a voice.

19 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

They don’t make them like that anymore.  I was a kid but you could tell you could trust him.   I wasn’t born when Kennedy was assassinated, but we have all seen the clips of Cronkite and he was great.  I know he was my dad’s go-to guy.   

23 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

They don’t make them like that anymore.  I was a kid but you could tell you could trust him.   I wasn’t born when Kennedy was assassinated, but we have all seen the clips of Cronkite and he was great.  I know he was my dad’s go-to guy.   

Got that right...and he was a journalist first...when he said Vietnam was going to end in a stalemate, he was correct... 

“To say that we are closer to victory today is to believe, in the face of the evidence, the optimists who have been wrong in the past. To suggest we are on the edge of defeat is to yield to unreasonable pessimism. To say that were are mired in stalemate seems the only realistic, yet unsatisfactory, conclusion.”

Thread fusion!

In miles say cheese thread, there was talk of pimento cheese spread. Found my mother’s recipe card for home made pimento cheese spread, probably older than me! Her friend and our neighbor was a cousin of David Brinkley of the Huntley Brinkley Report!!  “Good night Chet, good night David “ The card reads “ Miriam Brinkley’s pimento cheese spread!

Archived