This Date in IUBB History: Indiana 82 Kent State 69 (2002)

10 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

After the Duke win there just wasn't a chance this team was going to lose this one and the game was basically over after about 5 minutes. One thing I remember was how loud and ready to roll early on the IU crowd was at Rupp. At that time it had been 10 years since previous Final 4 (which felt like an eternity) and you could hear years of angst coming out with each 3 made.

Kyle Hornsby...I don't think I ever saw a kid whose form was so consistent. That little jack knife move with his lower body... I think I had more confidence it was going in when he let her fly than any other IU kid since the turn of the century... 

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Kyle Hornsby...I don't think I ever saw a kid whose form was so consistent. That little jack knife move with his lower body... I think I had more confidence it was going in when he let her fly than any other IU kid since the turn of the century... 

Could be that he was a lifetime 41% shooter from behind the arc?

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

That whole team changed in late January when Self brought his top 10 Illini to Assembly Hall. Blood bath awaited them. Hornsby is definitely up there. I probably still had more confidence in Hulls but that whole 02 crew of Hornsby, Coverdale, Fife....JJ, Newton, Odle, Moye,etc....it's like whoever constructed the team knew what he was doing? Haha

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That whole team changed in late January when Self brought his top 10 Illini to Assembly Hall. Blood bath awaited them. Hornsby is definitely up there. I probably still had more confidence in Hulls but that whole 02 crew of Hornsby, Coverdale, Fife....JJ, Newton, Odle, Moye,etc....it's like whoever constructed the team knew what he was doing? Haha

Didn't we play that same Illini team shortly after at the other Assembly Hall and get blown out?

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Didn't we play that same Illini team shortly after at the other Assembly Hall and get blown out?

Not that I recall. I know we lost some close ones down the stretch but don't remember any being blow outs. Just remember that day (home game vs Illinois) being the game where the switch went off and fueled us down the road. When you beat a top 10 team by 30+ that confidence never leaves. 

I watched the replay of the game this morning.  That squad was an elite defense (#5 KenPom).  They really got after it.  They were very good at stopping drives to the paint. 

There were 2 or 3 times Kent State got the difference below ten, but then they would just run out of gas. 

Archived