Learning a different language

22 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I recognize and can tell what sound a lot of these characters make, so that's encouraging. No idea what any of it means though haha.

My sister-in-law is half Japanese. I remember decades ago at their wedding I got to meet Uncle Herb! Instead of being interned he worked as a translator during WW2! He tried to give us a visualization of the beauty of Kanji. He drew a symbol and said this is butterfly, he then added a swish and said it means morning, he then added another swish and said this means sun. He then told us that it was the name for his wife, butterfly of the moning sun! (well at least thats the way I remember it)

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

My sister-in-law is half Japanese. I remember decades ago at their wedding I got to meet Uncle Herb! Instead of being interned he worked as a translator during WW2! He tried to give us a visualization of the beauty of Kanji. He drew a symbol and said this is butterfly, he then added a swish and said it means morning, he then added another swish and said this means sun. He then told us that it was the name for his wife, butterfly of the moning sun! (well at least thats the way I remember it)

That sly devil!

I have their kana memorize which is basically all their sounds, but no Kanji yet.  I got a book in the mail today for learning them.  Shooting for learning 10 per day.  I think the book I got has a little over 2000.  

I've always thought Kanji were really interesting.  Hopefully I still feel that way after a few weeks of learning them!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

That sly devil!

I have their kana memorize which is basically all their sounds, but no Kanji yet.  I got a book in the mail today for learning them.  Shooting for learning 10 per day.  I think the book I got has a little over 2000.  

I've always thought Kanji were really interesting.  Hopefully I still feel that way after a few weeks of learning them!

You're a better man than me! Go for it! 私はあなたに成功を願っています

• Like 1

5 years of spanish starting in 8th grade.  Of course by then it's too late unless you are immersed in the language.  We had a wonderful foreign exchange student live with us from Spain a few years back.  We wanted her to speak to us in spanish but as many of you know that Barcelona Spanish is more difficult and sounds different than most other Spanish.  I've played around with duolingo app, usually a week before going to Mexico, then I'm motivated to learn again for about a month.  Now it's been 3 years since I've practiced.  

Don't use it, you lose it.  

• Like 1

Learning another language can be very helpful, here's an example. Back before I dumped Facebook, I posted something, within an hour poof it was "fact checked" to be false. I was in an instigator type mood and played with a few different ways to post the same thing to get around the AI fact checker, every attempt failed. Then pulling from my vast intellect, I decided to post it using Igpa Atinla, that my Grandpa taught me some 45 years earlier. ...   By god the language of the old drunk railroad worker from Sandborn, IN beat Zuckerberg!  Props to Grandpa!     

• Haha 2