Most enjoyable DRIVING roads you drove on.

Drroogh

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Don’t tell me you went to Kauai and didn’t visit the North shore. 

Took a flight over and never saw a thing. There was some attraction on the interior we were going to. Waterfalls? Was so foggy you couldn't see it. Couldn't see much on the drive either due to the dense fog. Total waste of a day and $.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Took a flight over and never saw a thing. There was some attraction on the interior we were going to. Waterfalls? Was so foggy you couldn't see it. Couldn't see much on the drive either due to the dense fog. Total waste of a day and $.

That sucks that the weather didn’t cooperate because that place is magical. Everybody has their preference of islands, Kauai is our favorite. We went for our honeymoon and back for our 10 year anniversary. 

11 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

That sucks that the weather didn’t cooperate because that place is magical. Everybody has their preference of islands, Kauai is our favorite. We went for our honeymoon and back for our 10 year anniversary. 

Yeah, I hated Honolulu and loved Kauai. The north shore was beautiful.

One of my favorites is S.R. 33 from Fort Wayne to Elkhart. I always loved going to Churubusco, Wolf Lake and Ligoneer. If I remember correctly right outside of Churubusco is a big pond that was made into the shape of the IU logo. When the ground is covered in snow it is really a sight to see. Of course passing the Churubusco you have to stop at the Magic Wand. 

A tad surprised Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee hasn't gotten mention yet.  Done that on a motorcycle several times.

Blue Ridge Parkway through North Carolina and Virginia...did the whole 400+ miles once on a motorcycle...the last few miles at night in a driving rainstorm.

Good old Indiana 66 down on the Ohio River.

@milehiiu, can't remember the road names, but we did several nice roads on the motorcycle jumping off from a rental cabin in Granby, CO...Estes Park, Steamboat Springs, through Rocky Mountain National Park, up Mount Evans...great trip.  Only after we came back did I learn about the legend of the Granby Killdozer...crazy stuff,  but really nice people in Granby.  

A road on my bucket list...I looked it up after noticing it in the intro of The Shining...Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park, Montana.  Lord willing, I'm going to do that on the motorcycle at some point.

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

@milehiiu, can't remember the road names, but we did several nice roads on the motorcycle jumping off from a rental cabin in Granby, CO...Estes Park, Steamboat Springs, through Rocky Mountain National Park, up Mount Evans...great trip.  Only after we came back did I learn about the legend of the Granby Killdozer...crazy stuff,  but really nice people in Granby.  

Oh yeah. We've got many fantastic drives in the state of Colorado. Just to name a few. Some that you mentioned :

Driving the Highest Paved Road in North America (Mt Evans)

Trail Ridge Road (12,183 feet) Highest Continuous Highway in United States in RMNP

The  Drive up Pike's Peak, Colorado

By the way. On a clear day... as it was yesterday.  I can see Mount Evans to the North, and Pikes Peak, 70 miles to the South from where I live South of Denver.

On 3/26/2020 at 9:24 PM, jefftheref said:

One of my favorites is S.R. 33 from Fort Wayne to Elkhart. I always loved going to Churubusco, Wolf Lake and Ligoneer. If I remember correctly right outside of Churubusco is a big pond that was made into the shape of the IU logo. When the ground is covered in snow it is really a sight to see. Of course passing the Churubusco you have to stop at the Magic Wand. 

That be U.S. 33 and yes the IU pond was just outside of 'Busco.  The Magic Wand is still there.

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

@milehiiuA road on my bucket list...I looked it up after noticing it in the intro of The Shining...Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park, Montana.  Lord willing, I'm going to do that on the motorcycle at some point.

That's another road I didn't get to see. Was there last fall and they closed it due to a big snowstorm. The west side of GNP was partially open but the east side totally shut down. Guess I'll have to go back. 

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

That's another road I didn't get to see. Was there last fall and they closed it due to a big snowstorm. The west side of GNP was partially open but the east side totally shut down. Guess I'll have to go back. 

That's yet another nice Colorado drive. From Denver to Estes Park.  Where the Stanley Hotel was the inspiration of "The Shining"

If you decide to go.  Book room 217.  LOL

Ghosts of The Stanley Hotel and a Night In Room 217 

3 hours ago, rico said:

That be U.S. 33 and yes the IU pond was just outside of 'Busco.  The Magic Wand is still there.

I don't travel that way very often but one of these days when there is snow on the ground I am going to head down that way and take some pictures and then hit the Magic Wand. 

• 2 months later...

Hwy. 2 across the Upper Peninsula of Michigan can be enjoyable, if you aren't in a hurry. Beautiful scenery but very few places to pass. If you get behind one of the logging trucks you are stuck for a minute.

When our kids were little, and when their grandpa was still alive and lived in Northern Michigan, we would take this route from Wisconsin rather than drive through Chicago. Some nice campgrounds right on Lake Michigan. 

15 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

GW Parkway in Virginia

Blue Ridge Parkway, Virginia 

The road around Lake Tahoe - CA and Nevada, windy road with the beautiful lake 

the drive to Aspen from Denver, foothills to mountains 

Edit -- some images of the George Washington Memorial Parkway, since I'm stuck in my study working

image.jpeg.57c7b2c50e78289192d45ae046052e08.jpegThe George Washington Memorial Parkway is one of my favorite ...

Park Service to conduct GW Parkway traffic study

And the road around Tahoe 

How to Get to (and Around) Lake Tahoe

Plan ahead for your successful Lake Tahoe holiday tripTahoe ...

image.jpeg.bbdc14a3e05d485193c60f69de329a29.jpeg

Driving Branson Misssouri's 65 Highway

And while driving Missouri's 65.  Make sure to stop at Lambert's. Home of Throwed Rolls.  And keep in mind. Though they bring you unlimited sides. If you ask they will bring you seconds of your main entree.... such as a steak.... at no extra cost.

Lamberts Cafe Review in Ozark Missouri! Throwed Rolls! Where To Eat Near Branson! 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived