Jay Edwards

Saw mention of him in another thread.  Won three consecutive state championships with his buddy Lyndon Jones. Thrilled when they chose IU. Unlike Lyndon who gave us four years. Was.  Super disappointed when Jay left IU for the Clippers. After just two years wearing the Candy Stripes.   Only to wind up playing just four games for the Clippers. Hard for me to think what he could have done for IU, had he not left early.

HSN... give me your thoughts. If you care to.

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Saw mention of him in another thread.  Won three consecutive state championships with his buddy Lyndon Jones. Thrilled when they chose IU. Unlike Lyndon who gave us four years. Was.  Super disappointed when Jay left IU for the Clippers. After just two years wearing the Candy Stripes.   Only to wind up playing just four games for the Clippers. Hard for me to think what he could have done for IU, had he not left early.

HSN... give me your thoughts. If you care to.

One of my all time favorites....and there are plenty days where he is my all time favorite. The 89 season was so very special for plenty of reasons. We all know the deal. Poor start. Knight switching to smaller lineup. But never in my 4 decades has there been a player for IU who impacted so many wins in conference play. Just wasn't the game winning shots...his play carried a team that honestly was going to be forgotten about to another Big 10 title.

In terms of leaving IU early. Crushing is all I got. We always talk about 75, 81, 93 teams on missing more titles for Knight/IU but if Edwards sticks around you could have added another one in 90 or 91. No questions.

Jay is also one of my favorites..having seen him in the State finals or at IU he was Mr. Clutch ...my favorite memory of him is not one of the last second shots but it was a game at Michigan at Jay got the ball off the tip and drove straight to the basket for a 2 handed Dunk and that set the tone for the rest of the game and win...it was nice to see him for RMK return also

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

One of my all time favorites....and there are plenty days where he is my all time favorite. The 89 season was so very special for plenty of reasons. We all know the deal. Poor start. Knight switching to smaller lineup. But never in my 4 decades has there been a player for IU who impacted so many wins in conference play. Just wasn't the game winning shots...his play carried a team that honestly was going to be forgotten about to another Big 10 title.

In terms of leaving IU early. Crushing is all I got. We always talk about 75, 81, 93 teams on missing more titles for Knight/IU but if Edwards sticks around you could have added another one in 90 or 91. No questions.

Well said!

@jefftheref

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1989-08-15-8901050287-story.html

I was at the Illinois-Indiana, Nick Anderson last-second-shot game in 1989.  Edward's fade away jumper with 2 seconds left followed by Anderson's last second half court shot was insane!  I watched it again on YouTube last night... brought back some amazing memories.  I do remember some rumors that Edwards and Knight didn't get along...not sure there's any truth to that. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierburgh said:

I do remember some rumors that Edwards and Knight didn't get along...not sure there's any truth to that. 

I could see that.  Spectacular scorer, but no interest in defense.  As Courtney Witte (former Vincennes Lincoln standout, IU hooper and Pacer scout) once told a room of us, Jay couldn't guard a sidewalk.

59 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I could see that.  Spectacular scorer, but no interest in defense.  As Courtney Witte (former Vincennes Lincoln standout, IU hooper and Pacer scout) once told a room of us, Jay couldn't guard a sidewalk.

I heard rumors he liked to party and indulge in some Mary Jane. I also heard before the Seton Hall game he was told if they lost it would be his last game at Indiana.

I am not saying it is true, just what I was told.

3 hours ago, Hoosierburgh said:

I was at the Illinois-Indiana, Nick Anderson last-second-shot game in 1989.  Edward's fade away jumper with 2 seconds left followed by Anderson's last second half court shot was insane!  I watched it again on YouTube last night... brought back some amazing memories.  I do remember some rumors that Edwards and Knight didn't get along...not sure there's any truth to that. 

I had great seats for that game.  Like 6 rows up, center court.  After Anderson hit that lucky shot, that was the quietest I ever heard an IU crowd. You could hear a pin drop.  

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I had great seats for that game.  Like 6 rows up, center court.  After Anderson hit that lucky shot, that was the quietest I ever heard an IU crowd. You could hear a pin drop.  

That game cost us the #1 seed in the Midwest.  I had bought tickets for the 1st /2nd round games at the RCA Dome thinking we would be there since we won the big ten championship.

4 hours ago, Hoosierburgh said:

I was 11 rows up behind the basket where Anderson drained his shot. Still amazed not one IU player defended the in bound guy...despite Knight yelling to do so. 2nd game ever for me at IU. 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Yep...all you could hear was Kenny Battle yelling like a little #$*)%_ basically loud shrieks. Great game, couldn't believe the ending.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep...all you could hear was Kenny Battle yelling like a little #$*)%_ basically loud shrieks. Great game, couldn't believe the ending.

Game was over when Jay hit his shot. Hard to understand how two seconds were added to the clock. Should have run out.  For Anderson to hit the shot. It was like a dagger.  And we know how much Bobby hated to lose. 

Nick Anderson Buzzer Beater 

19 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Game was over when Jay hit his shot. Hard to understand how two seconds were added to the clock. Should have run out.  For Anderson to hit the shot. It was like a dagger.  And we know how much Bobby hated to lose. 

Nick Anderson Buzzer Beater 

Funny part about that game. It was my Grandpa, Dad, and myself. We had been standing for quite awhile given the action on the court. After Anderson's shot went in...my Grandpa dropped his jacket and it fell in between the bleachers to the floors of Assembly Hall. He asked me to go get it. God as my witness....I was 15 and the first time I ever spoke back to my Grandpa....I said you want to give me a second to process what just happened?.....Haha...went down and got his jacket and nearly ran into all of the Illini team as they exited from that corner. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Funny part about that game. It was my Grandpa, Dad, and myself. We had been standing for quite awhile given the action on the court. After Anderson's shot went in...my Grandpa dropped his jacket and it fell in between the bleachers to the floors of Assembly Hall. He asked me to go get it. God as my witness....I was 15 and the first time I ever spoke back to my Grandpa....I said you want to give me a second to process what just happened?.....Haha...went down and got his jacket and nearly ran into all of the Illini team as they exited from that corner. 

Fantastic story.  Thanks for sharing your memory.

On 3/27/2020 at 7:56 AM, BDB said:

His rainbow J was spectacular.  

With that low camera angle on channel 4, he was the first (and maybe the only) guy I can remember who's shot was so high it went above my TV screen.  Kinda like they do today with fake videos on YouTube.  That kid could ball.  Lyndon Jones wasn't the same player when Edwards left IMO.

Archived