Trayce Jackon-Davis

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Hearing from a good friend of mine. Despite announcing he will be back next year.  Is exploring the idea of filing the needed papers to enter the NBA draft !

That's all I have got for now, HSN.

I saw a video posted by Peegs and your BFF Rabjohns (😂) that he was always planning on entering the draft to get the feedback. 

46 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Hearing from a good friend of mine. Despite announcing he will be back next year.  Is exploring the idea of filing the needed papers to enter the NBA draft !

That's all I have got for now, HSN.

As he should. I still think he'll be back next year. Maybe the feedback he gets will help motivate him developing some range.

39 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Thanks for the link. Trey Jones is no surprise to me.  Hopefully McKinley Wright, is just testing the waters.  Just because I want him back in a Buffalo uni. 

21 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Jordan Tucker? Don’t see him ever in the NBA

That's the thing. Look at Kyle Guy, Caleb Swanigan....or guys like that who had incredible collegiate careers and were certain for NBA careers. Guy has played 5 minutes this year and in 3 seasons Swanigan has played 75 total games and usually it's about 5-7 minutes per game. 

Guess the idea of earning GLeague or overseas money is just so more appealing. No problem with that but wish some of these guys would stop with headed to NBA talk.

Trayce has so much going for him, excellent athlete,  can get off the floor but also has good agility.  He can jump one, two, three times, whatever it takes. He has tremendous hands like suction cups.  Good hands for a big man is like accuracy for a QB.  Gotta have it and he does.  And he’s competitive with a good motor.  My favorite part about Trayce is that rebound in traffic where you can’t even see in there and Trayce yanks it down as surely as can be.

As everybody here says, If he can come out and hit 15 footers, and then stretch out to the 3, there’s no telling what he can do.  In today’s NBA game, you gotta have that stretch ability.  He’s so skilled there’s no reason why he couldn’t shoot well.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, IUalum said:

Good move on his part.  Get some additional expert advice on direction.  Imagine TDJ with a reliable jump shot and better moves with his right hand...wow.

Watching these old games and seeing guys like Eric Anderson and Allan Henderson who were very good from 15 feet so if TJD could get that in his game.

• Like 2

Another thing that caught my eye watching these older games is how announcers talk about how guys will be coming back the next year.  Watching the 81 championship game the other day and Billy Packer without hesitation talked about how 8 of the 10 starters will be back the next year.  We are talking about 5 or 6 1st round draft picks on the floor and there was no talk about guys leaving early.  Even though IT did leave and Turner had his accident it is just funny how times were so different.  Even watching the 92 sweet 16 game against FSU they talked about how every starter in that game would be back the next year which all did.

To me this is the biggest difference in basketball then than what it is today.  I know people get tired of me saying how much better the game was back then but this is why it was better.  I did not say the individual player talent was any better back then but best players stayed and your team could grow over the years.  Last night the Assembly Call crew watched the 93 sweet 16 game against UL and then had a show afterwards to discuss the game like they do normally after a game.  They kept talking about what kind of leader Calbert was and how he could take a game over which is true.  The thing was that he was a great senior player who was so experience to know how to take the game over.

Today we see so many players leaving early for the NBA who is not even close to being ready.  Vanderbilt has two guys turning pro and they were one of the worst power 5 teams in the country this year.  I know it is different and don't blame the palyers in thinking about the NBA but this kind of thinking is what is hurting the college game.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Another thing that caught my eye watching these older games is how announcers talk about how guys will be coming back the next year.  Watching the 81 championship game the other day and Billy Packer without hesitation talked about how 8 of the 10 starters will be back the next year.  We are talking about 5 or 6 1st round draft picks on the floor and there was no talk about guys leaving early.  Even though IT did leave and Turner had his accident it is just funny how times were so different.  Even watching the 92 sweet 16 game against FSU they talked about how every starter in that game would be back the next year which all did.

To me this is the biggest difference in basketball then than what it is today.  I know people get tired of me saying how much better the game was back then but this is why it was better.  I did not say the individual player talent was any better back then but best players stayed and your team could grow over the years.  Last night the Assembly Call crew watched the 93 sweet 16 game against UL and then had a show afterwards to discuss the game like they do normally after a game.  They kept talking about what kind of leader Calbert was and how he could take a game over which is true.  The thing was that he was a great senior player who was so experience to know how to take the game over.

Today we see so many players leaving early for the NBA who is not even close to being ready.  Vanderbilt has two guys turning pro and they were one of the worst power 5 teams in the country this year.  I know it is different and don't blame the palyers in thinking about the NBA but this kind of thinking is what is hurting the college game.

In the 80s, the NBA was really good money. Today, just one year NBA salary is life changing money; one year could literally set you up for life. It's hard to turn that down or risk injury for another year when that's on the table.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

No jump shot yet, and no right hand yet.  Honestly unless he improves both of those dramatically he will be here after next year too.  Not a dis on the kid at all, just going by what I saw this year.  Hopefully he gets both of those and gets drafted next year.

I agree... when he would post up to make a right handed layup he would instead dribble into the lane With way more traffic and take a way lower percentage shot. When I coach I preach high vs. low percentage shots to my kids. Developing a game to give yourself as many high percentage shots as possible is so key.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I agree... when he would post up to make a right handed layup he would instead dribble into the lane With way more traffic and take a way lower percentage shot. When I coach I preach high vs. low percentage shots to my kids. Developing a game to give yourself as many high percentage shots as possible is so key.  

Absolutely 

20 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I watched a '92 game versus Illinois, something that struck me was the commentators talking about how all IU players had shot over 50% during a 13 game win streak. Every freaking guy on the floor could shoot back then. Then ones that were a bit sub par knew their limits and only shot high percentage shots within those limits.

16 minutes ago, WI_Hoosier said:

I watched a '92 game versus Illinois, something that struck me was the commentators talking about how all IU players had shot over 50% during a 13 game win streak. Every freaking guy on the floor could shoot back then. Then ones that were a bit sub par knew their limits and only shot high percentage shots within those limits.

And watching vintage games. It struck me how many guys hit over 70% of their free throw.  It was like a given back then.  And there was one game where one of our guys was averaging 90% for the season.  And when they talked about it.  He missed.  LOL

29 minutes ago, WI_Hoosier said:

It is because they all took good shots and did not have t force shots at the end of the shot clock.  45 seconds was a good tie for a shot clock because it still allowed you to work on offence to get a good shot.  It also prevented teams from just holding the ball the last 4 minutes of the game.  Today at 30 seconds you just don't have time to run an offense where you move the ball and the players moved.  You see way to many times where  a player has to take a contested shot at the end of the clock that has about no chance to go in.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is because they all took good shots and did not have t force shots at the end of the shot clock.  45 seconds was a good tie for a shot clock because it still allowed you to work on offence to get a good shot.  It also prevented teams from just holding the ball the last 4 minutes of the game.  Today at 30 seconds you just don't have time to run an offense where you move the ball and the players moved.  You see way to many times where  a player has to take a contested shot at the end of the clock that has about no chance to go in.

Great observation.  Also how many times did we see players, from many teams step out of bounds, attempting three point shots... because the line was moved out. And left less room on the base line ?

10 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Great observation.  Also how many times did we see players, from many teams step out of bounds, attempting three point shots... because the line was moved out. And left less room on the base line ?

I also think why offenses are not as good now is that the analytics has taken out the mid range game and you no longer see kids shooting a 12-15 foot shot.  Those early 90's team had several guys who shot those 15 foot baseline shots at a great percentage.