Trayce Jackon-Davis

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

It is because they all took good shots and did not have t force shots at the end of the shot clock.  45 seconds was a good tie for a shot clock because it still allowed you to work on offence to get a good shot.  It also prevented teams from just holding the ball the last 4 minutes of the game.  Today at 30 seconds you just don't have time to run an offense where you move the ball and the players moved.  You see way to many times where  a player has to take a contested shot at the end of the clock that has about no chance to go in.

definitely had a lot to do with shot selection.  good coaches put guys in position to shoot shots they could make within the offense.  big guys didn't work on proving they could shoot the 3.  ah, i miss that type of game.  

24 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

definitely had a lot to do with shot selection.  good coaches put guys in position to shoot shots they could make within the offense.  big guys didn't work on proving they could shoot the 3.  ah, i miss that type of game.  

So do I and just don't understand why coaches today can't see that is a more efficient way to run an offense than the ball screens we see today.  Also back then you saw a team come into the front court and start their offense right away.  Now we see them just come up and dribble a few seconds or go into the weave for 15 seconds before starting their offense.  With this time off these coaches should look at these older games and see how well a lot of these offenses ran compared to wat we see today.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 2:36 PM, IU Scott said:

I also think why offenses are not as good now is that the analytics has taken out the mid range game and you no longer see kids shooting a 12-15 foot shot.  Those early 90's team had several guys who shot those 15 foot baseline shots at a great percentage.

Plus the emphasis on "athleticism" due to the change in the way fouls ar called. So much hand checking and grabbing now limits the flow. There is a lot of NBA influence with pick and roll or drive and dish to highlight players "playmaking" abilities in the game now too. The college game has become alot more about the player versus the team.

Your earlier comment about the 45 vs 30 shot clock is also spot on. It was added to increasing scoring, but did it? Watching IU's 87 run, they had several games in the 100s. I have also been watching some old Evansville games from 1989, they had 10 games where they scored 88 or more. Heck, one game they score 109 and another they scored 115.

To further illustrated you point about the mid-range, IU scored 97 vs UNLV in the '87 semi and only attempted 4 threes, making 2.

Edited by WI_Hoosier
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WI_Hoosier said:

Your earlier comment about the 45 vs 30 shot clock is also spot on. It was added to increasing scoring, but did it? Watching IU's 87 run, they had several games in the 100s. I have also been watching some old Evansville games from 1989, they had 10 games where they scored 88 or more. Heck, one game they score 109 and another they scored 115.

On the other hand, could you imagine how miserable it would be to watch Wisconsin with a 45-second clock...?

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

He will be putting his name in the draft soon I’d imagine. But with all intentions of coming back. Might as well enter yourself and get all the feedback you can. 

With how things are, I don't understand putting your name in if you don't attend to stay in the draft.  There will be no workouts or combine so what will he find out that he can't already find out.

52 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

With how things are, I don't understand putting your name in if you don't attend to stay in the draft.  There will be no workouts or combine so what will he find out that he can't already find out.

As I understand it, he can still get feedback from NBA reps on what he needs to work on to successfully transition to the next level.  It's free and there's no downside.  I can't see why you wouldn't if you're eventually entertaining hopes of making the show.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

As I understand it, he can still get feedback from NBA reps on what he needs to work on to successfully transition to the next level.  It's free and there's no downside.  I can't see why you wouldn't if you're eventually entertaining hopes of making the show.

Forget where I heard it but he could get that info without putting his name in

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

From my understanding. Any kid can get feedback, and return.  So long as they don't hire an agent.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

From my understanding. Any kid can get feedback, and return.  So long as they don't hire an agent.

They can now hire an agent and retain eligibility as long as the agent is NCAA approved. They can even go through the draft and return if they're not drafted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

They can now hire an agent and retain eligibility as long as the agent is NCAA approved. They can even go through the draft and return if they're not drafted.

I was not aware of that. Obviously not up to speed. That's why I love this forum. So many informed members.  Thanks for bringing me up to date.  And thanks for being a Hoosier Sports Nation member.

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I was not aware of that. Obviously not up to speed. That's why I love this forum. So many informed members.  Thanks for bringing me up to date.  And thanks for being a Hoosier Sports Nation member.

They are pretty new rules. This is either the first or second draft for which they've been in effect.