Trayce Jackon-Davis

14 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

No, it's not.  I wouldn't be shocked if he comes back.  I'm just questioning if his star really gets brighter than it was this last season.  Great player, but he seems at least very close to maxing his potential at Iowa.

What if he falls out of the top ten in the NPOY race?  What if next year's draft is a lot deeper?  What if he gets hurt?  I see at least as many reasons to leave as I do to stay.

Maybe he knows if he comes back and has a great year that it could set up for life after basketball.   He could become a legend in Iowa and have about any job he wants.  I am sure Iowa had plenty of rich alumni that would be willing to give Garza a great job.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe he knows if he comes back and has a great year that it could set up for life after basketball.   He could become a legend in Iowa and have about any job he wants.  I am sure Iowa had plenty of rich alumni that would be willing to give Garza a great job.

Do you believe rich alumni might be more willing to give him a job if he comes back for another year rather than going pro now? He's already been great. Among the honors he's already received are B1G POY and 1st team All-American. You don't think he's an Iowa legend already? 

When has Fran's program sent a player to the pros? The value to Iowa basketball may very well be greater if he were to go and get drafted this year. As it stands, who can Fran point to when recruiting kids and say, " I put (fill in the blank) in the league, and I can develop you the same way"? 

To Scott's point, I don't see Iowa, with or without Garza, making a Final Four run next year. If Fran can parlay Garza making it into the pros into bringing in recruits with higher aspirations, that would do wonders for the program, imo.

6 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Garza will not succeed in the NBA unless he develops some sort of jump shot and or 3pt shot at a min and improving his mobility. 

In todays game, you need to be able to step away from the rim or near the rim to be relative

While I agree with you about needing to improve on his mobility, Garza was a more than capable 3pt shooter last year. 

Shooting something like 37% from beyond the arc coupled with being as dominant as he is down low makes for a tough player to guard.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, toonsquad said:

While I agree with you about needing to improve on his mobility, Garza was a more than capable 3pt shooter last year. 

Shooting something like 37% from beyond the arc coupled with being as dominant as he is down low makes for a tough player to guard.

I was going to say the same thing...I watched Iowa quite a bit last year and he's a capable 3 point shooter. Sag off of him, and he'll make you pay.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Garza will not succeed in the NBA unless he develops some sort of jump shot and or 3pt shot at a min and improving his mobility. 

In todays game, you need to be able to step away from the rim or near the rim to be relative

The 3 pointer IS in the Garza arsenal.  One of his strengths IMO. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, toonsquad said:

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was going to say the same thing...I watched Iowa quite a bit last year and he's a capable 3 point shooter. Sag off of him, and he'll make you pay.

I would agree that 37% is respectable.  If he can maintain that and improve his mobility, he will succeed. 

Now TJD on the other hand, we know he can be dominate around the rim.  Do we anticipate him stepping away from the basket at all this upcoming season?

2 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I would agree that 37% is respectable.  If he can maintain that and improve his mobility, he will succeed. 

Now TJD on the other hand, we know he can be dominate around the rim.  Do we anticipate him stepping away from the basket at all this upcoming season?

I think Garza's big challenge, like you initially stated, is the lateral quickness and finding someone he can guard.

TJD's athleticism gives him an advantage over Luka on the defensive end, but boy would I like to see HIM stepping out and hitting 3s at a 36% clip...

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think Garza's big challenge, like you initially stated, is the lateral quickness and finding someone he can guard.

TJD's athleticism gives him an advantage over Luka on the defensive end, but boy would I like to see HIM stepping out and hitting 3s at a 36% clip...

Agreed. Would bring an entirely new dimension to our offense if TJD was able to stretch the floor in that way. It would give our guards (particularly Lander) a ton space to penetrate the lane and kick for open shots.

16 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I interpreted that response as him saying "I'm not THAT good," not as a reference to how long he'd be in school. 

On a side note, I find it hilarious how many IU fans are desperately hoping Garza doesn't come back next season. 

Regardless of the reality, no elite college basketball player would ever respond to a statement questioning his ability to go pro by saying “I’m not good enough.”  Especially one with pro aspirations like TJD.

You really think TJD doesn’t believe he’s good enough to go pro?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Regardless of the reality, no elite college basketball player would ever respond to a statement questioning his ability to go pro by saying “I’m not good enough.”  Especially one with pro aspirations like TJD.

You really think TJD doesn’t believe he’s good enough to go pro?

No, I'm saying he responded to a comparison to Garza by humbly saying he's not on Garza's level...and he's not. 

48 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

No, I'm saying he responded to a comparison to Garza by humbly saying he's not on Garza's level...and he's not. 

I can guarantee that’s not what he was saying... and I’d be disappointed if he did.

Obviously looking at it objectively, Garza clearly had a better season than TJD all around, but TJD was probably better defensively.  And when they went head to head, Garza got his, but TJD dropped 17-10 and walked away with the dub.  No way would TJD ever say Garza is better than him, nor should he.  Garza is not that much more superior to him.

Edited by FW_Hoosier
  • Confused 1

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This can't be right.  While watching the Duke / Gonzaga game Friday night, I was assured that it would be Timme or Banchero.  But, they are 24th and 26th in these rankings.  :coffee:

The Big 10 is pretty well represented...6 of the top 10...

But the name I saw that made me grin a little is at #18, Colin Castleton...

Juwan Howard ran him off from Michigan by only giving him about 8 minutes a game 2 years ago...Michigan's struggling with frontcourt depth right now...I bet he wishes he had Castleton back...

• Like 1

If Duke and the Zags stay in the top 5 Banchero and Holmgren will both be top 5 player of the year candidates on this list.
In K’s last season Duke will get so much ESPN airtime that we will know the names of their ball boys and student managers by the end of the year and will endlessly hear Banchero’s name.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, IU878176 said:

If Duke and the Zags stay in the top 5 Banchero and Holmgren will both be top 5 player of the year candidates on this list.
In K’s last season Duke will get so much ESPN airtime that we will know the names of their ball boys and student managers by the end of the year and will endlessly hear Banchero’s name.

An argument can be made that neither of those guys are the best players on their team.  Timme for the Zags and Moore for Duke have had equally good starts.

POY should not be a media deriven award.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

An argument can be made that neither of those guys are the best players on their team.  Timme for the Zags and Moore for Duke have had equally good starts.

Agree and Agree.

That being said I do think “media mojo” can impact/influence some of the POY awards.

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Who should decide it then? There’s no reasonable way for coaches to do it for a national award. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Who should decide it then? There’s no reasonable way for coaches to do it for a national award. 

That's not my point.  Of course the media should vote.  But, they should not simply hype the good players on the top teams or cave into preseason hype..  

Edited by 5fouls