Trayce Jackon-Davis

15 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Who should decide it then? There’s no reasonable way for coaches to do it for a national award. 

I've always felt the media (tied to a specific school), coaches, and/or some appointed member from the school should vote from a pool of opponent players. Feel like rankings should be done this way as well. Doesn't make sense to me to have voting for/against and/or ranking players/schools they have no connection/clue about.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

There's been several times in the past decade someone won the Wooden Award from a school that is in no way, shape, or form a Blue Blood or premier program. The last two winners played at Iowa and Dayton. 

And to tell you the truth, the last 2 should have been from iowa.  He should have won it both years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rico said:

How do we define the PoY?  Serious question.  

That's a hard question.  Obviously they need to be stat leaders.  Impact the game and their team in a meaningful way.  Must have been tested against elite competition on multiple occasions (doesn't have to be a full season worth, but can't be a mid major who never played any p6 schools).  Should be respected/feared by opposing coaches/staff.

Just some of my thoughts.  And there is always the gut feel that comes to mind. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

That's a hard question.  Obviously they need to be stat leaders.  Impact the game and their team in a meaningful way.  Must have been tested against elite competition on multiple occasions (doesn't have to be a full season worth, but can't be a mid major who never played any p6 schools).  Should be respected/feared by opposing coaches/staff.

Just some of my thoughts.  And there is always the gut feel that comes to mind. 

Good thoughts.  I guess I look at this way...How good would Gonzaga be if Chet wasn't on the team?  Conversely, how good would IU be if TJD wasn't on the team?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rico said:

Good thoughts.  I guess I look at this way...How good would Gonzaga be if Chet wasn't on the team?  Conversely, how good would IU be if TJD wasn't on the team?

They are both extremely important to their teams.  Which of these 2 then separates themselves from the competition based on stats and strength of schedule at some point.  Gonzaga playing in a weak conference year after year with power6 level talent isn't as impressive to me.  Would they be undefeated playing in the ACC or B1G for 20 games.  Very unlikely.  Would they be good.  Probably but not as dominant and would just be another good Power6 team.  Would Chet be the dominate figure he is playing in a big conference seeing the level a talent day after day?  Maybe, maybe not

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

On his way to NPOY. 

I think many have said it already but I'll say it again....the extra gear Coach Woodson is getting out of him is really impressive. Now the NBA is a different animal and sometimes what looks really good here may not translate to the league but I'd have to think TJD will be Coach Woodson's first of many 1st rounders this Spring. 

Thank goodness for the coaching change. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think many have said it already but I'll say it again....the extra gear Coach Woodson is getting out of him is really impressive. Now the NBA is a different animal and sometimes what looks really good here may not translate to the league but I'd have to think TJD will be Coach Woodson's first of many 1st rounders this Spring. 

Thank goodness for the coaching change. 

Even without the consistent jumper. I agree CMW and staff getting it done

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

This has been what has surprised me with Trayce.

I thought the key to him would be a consistent outside jumper, and decent ball handling.

We've seen a few glimpses of a jumper, but not enough to warrant him getting the ball outside. We also haven't really seen him use his right hand much.

And he's still dominating. He's simply doing everything he did before at a much, much higher level. Good for him!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Yes, adding jumpers and his right hand has not happened to any great degree but….he has greatly reduced the weak, point blank, flings/shots  at the basket he used to do 3-5 times a game and now attacks like he is really pissed off at the rim. He attacks and his move from getting off the ground to dunking the ball is crazy twitchy quick.

His D is also better as is his hustle and endurance.

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Even the Syracuse homers were very complimentary of TJD. 

There was one sequence where Edwards (I think it was) was a little yappy with Trace and then the very next play Trace posterized him to shut him up. The announcers were like “Daaamn.”

I think the young man waa impressing everyone. He just gets off the ground so quickly. Fun to watch!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

Glad to see him come back into the game after going down. That looked a little scary at first. 

I think he's mad that Kofi had more dunks last season and is trying to get ahead in that race. 😀

I was hopeful once I saw the replay showing a knee-knock, rather than an awkward landing, but in live time I saw my 2021-2022 IU basketball season flash before my eyes :)

More importantly I was worried if it would impact his career as he has worked hard, seems like a great kid and has been a fantastic representative of the program. Needless to say…he came back strong.

• Like 4

On 11/30/2021 at 5:01 PM, IowaHoosierFan said:

They are both extremely important to their teams.  Which of these 2 then separates themselves from the competition based on stats and strength of schedule at some point.  Gonzaga playing in a weak conference year after year with power6 level talent isn't as impressive to me.  Would they be undefeated playing in the ACC or B1G for 20 games.  Very unlikely.  Would they be good.  Probably but not as dominant and would just be another good Power6 team.  Would Chet be the dominate figure he is playing in a big conference seeing the level a talent day after day?  Maybe, maybe not

You saying St Marys x2 isnt the same as being beat up by Paulie Bunyon in the Barn

11 hours ago, Dawg Bawls said:

You saying St Marys x2 isnt the same as being beat up by Paulie Bunyon in the Barn

Don't get me wrong.  Gonzaga has built a powerhouse program over the last 15+ years.  They play good teams early in the season and have success.  But they don't have to grind out a full conference schedule.  They do have some harder games, but nothing like the ACC or B1G.  Play Duke, UNC, Virginia, or FSU twice a year and see what your record is.  Or go into Mich, OSU, Wisc or IU and see how you fair in those hostile environments.  Playing against the best talent in the country for 75% of your schedule vs 25% has always bothered me when ranking these Mid Majors. 

Gonzaga needs to move to a Power6 conference period.  Stop beating up inferior competition and play in a big conference.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Don't get me wrong.  Gonzaga has built a powerhouse program over the last 15+ years.  They play good teams early in the season and have success.  But they don't have to grind out a full conference schedule.  They do have some harder games, but nothing like the ACC or B1G.  Play Duke, UNC, Virginia, or FSU twice a year and see what your record is.  Or go into Mich, OSU, Wisc or IU and see how you fair in those hostile environments.  Playing against the best talent in the country for 75% of your schedule vs 25% has always bothered me when ranking these Mid Majors. 

Gonzaga needs to move to a Power6 conference period.  Stop beating up inferior competition and play in a big conference.

I was being sarcastic. Of course Gonzaga needs to get in the PAC 10 or somewhere.. its BS saying they number 1 and 30 and 0 when they play San Fransisco as a conference team...

• Haha 1