Trayce Jackon-Davis

On 3/28/2020 at 9:36 AM, Seeking6 said:

That's the thing. Look at Kyle Guy, Caleb Swanigan....or guys like that who had incredible collegiate careers and were certain for NBA careers. Guy has played 5 minutes this year and in 3 seasons Swanigan has played 75 total games and usually it's about 5-7 minutes per game. 

Guess the idea of earning GLeague or overseas money is just so more appealing. No problem with that but wish some of these guys would stop with headed to NBA talk.

I’m sure Caleb would like to have played more, but he’s made over $5 million and is 23 years old. Not a bad place to be. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

I’m sure Caleb would like to have played more, but he’s made over $5 million and is 23 years old. Not a bad place to be. 

I'm curious. Did you actually go back to March 28th and find this comment because it mentioned a Purdue player and bring it back up?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm curious. Did you actually go back to March 28th and find this comment because it mentioned a Purdue player and bring it back up?

No, I just read through the last page of the thread. Was curious if anyone knew why he wouldn’t at least go through the process and get feedback. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

No, I just read through the last page of the thread. Was curious if anyone knew why he wouldn’t at least go through the process and get feedback. 

Got it! I think everyone reads threads and posts differently. Might be a fun thread in animal house but I rarely look at who is actually posting. I read and if I agree I click like or comment and move on. I know every board has a few posters dialed in. Very thankful for our members here who bring us the goods. 

Was just curious is the reason I ask. I don't remember what I posted 96 hours ago let alone a month ago.

27 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

The only thing I can come up with is that he felt like he'd gotten enough feedback already without the formal process.  If your dad is Dale Davis, I'm guessing you can talk to pro scouts a lot easier than the average kid not projected in the current draft.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

TJD has been pretty clear about what he's doing. Hasn't waivered at all. 

I'm interested in what he looks like when they get back to it. I'm guessing he adds 10 lbs of muscle at least by the start of the season. That with an improved jumper and he's in beast mode.

Trace already is one of my favorite all time players.  So glad he is back for another season to cheer him on.  

I have seen this comment on occasion about trace improving his shot to increase his potential in the league.  Just curious what folks think on this, not just specific to trace, but all high level players....is it just a matter of getting shots up?  Or is there a technique issue that needs addressed.  Admittedly, I don’t see much flaw in traces game...kid is a stud.  It seems maybe a little more confidence is all it will take for him to take, and make those jumpers.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’d love to see Trayce add a solid 15 footer and some dribble drive to his game next year and then in year 3 stretch out to the 3pt line...to me that would be a natural progression for getting drafted.

Love this development plan as it includes a year 3😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’d love to see Trayce add a solid 15 footer and some dribble drive to his game next year and then in year 3 stretch out to the 3pt line...to me that would be a natural progression for getting drafted.

Crean did that with Bryant to show NBA scouts he did have a shot. Tough situation for coaches. You want to show you are helping players develop for next step....show future recruits you will do that....but sometimes it can back fire. Would love to see Archie put in some comfortable sets for TJD from the range you mention. Helps all of us by seeing him in the green room down the road.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Crean did that with Bryant to show NBA scouts he did have a shot. Tough situation for coaches. You want to show you are helping players develop for next step....show future recruits you will do that....but sometimes it can back fire. Would love to see Archie put in some comfortable sets for TJD from the range you mention. Helps all of us by seeing him in the green room down the road.

Sure. In theory it helps him, help Archie, and should help open the floor for the team...so we all win. Making kids better is what a coach should do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure others can find and post the actual tweet. I can't remember if the guy who tweeted is a member on here or not so I'll just replay it. Baumgart guy says he thinks people would be surprised how likely he thinks TJD could come back for his Junior year...comparing him and numbers to Luke Garza. Little bit of time goes by and TJD made fun of the tweet basically saying bad take. I think we should enjoy TJD this year and that's about it.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm sure others can find and post the actual tweet. I can't remember if the guy who tweeted is a member on here or not so I'll just replay it. Baumgart guy says he thinks people would be surprised how likely he thinks TJD could come back for his Junior year...comparing him and numbers to Luke Garza. Little bit of time goes by and TJD made fun of the tweet basically saying bad take. I think we should enjoy TJD this year and that's about it.

If he wants wants to go pro after next season no matter what, more power to him.  But unless his game takes a huge jump next year, I’d be pretty surprised if he’s a first round pick in 2021.  I think Baumgart is mostly right... The athleticism and jump shot the NBA is looking for just aren’t really there.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Not sure but maybe he was laughing at the comparison to Garza’s game and not the year 3. Garza I think is pretty far along developing his game.

Garza has a complete game...honestly he should go pro. He is not going to get better next year playing against inferior competition. He is as ready as he will ever be to go pro. Whether that is NBA or overseas why delay. He loses a year of earning power. I don’t think Iowa can teach him or help him be better. If being national runner up player of the year won’t get you into a high draft pick what would?!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I interpreted that response as him saying "I'm not THAT good," not as a reference to how long he'd be in school. 

On a side note, I find it hilarious how many IU fans are desperately hoping Garza doesn't come back next season. 

21 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I interpreted that response as him saying "I'm not THAT good," not as a reference to how long he'd be in school. 

On a side note, I find it hilarious how many IU fans are desperately hoping Garza doesn't come back next season. 

Can't count myself as the majority. Iowa has never been able to finish or complete a season. Don't care either way if Garza comes back....they'll still be on the 4/5/6 line....at best.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Can't count myself as the majority. Iowa has never been able to finish or complete a season. Don't care either way if Garza comes back....they'll still be on the 4/5/6 line....at best.

For me I think if Garza comes back they are the top team in the conference.  As an IU fan it would be better if he left but as a college basketball game it hurts the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

I don’t think anyone is worried about him coming back...it’s his choice...it might knock Iowa from a top 3 team in the B1G but with Fran coaching I’m not worried. That doesn’t change the fact that another year won’t make him more NBA ready or really improve him. If he hasn’t graduated ok I can see getting his degree but this guy can make a fortune in Europe and maybe still carve out a role in the NBA. Coming back to college won’t change anything except eliminate a year from his career earnings. The biggest thing maybe working against going pro or to Europe is the Covid-19 thing...I can see not wanting to go overseas right now..but honestly he was the best player in college basketball last year...he has nothing left to prove.

Edited by dgambill

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

OK, I'll bite...tell us what Garza gains with a 4th year at Iowa.

He may well come back, but I'm struggling to see his motivation to do so.

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Maybe he loves playing college basketball and he knows the opportunity to play pro will still be there next year.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

A chance to be one of the best players in the country again. Playing on a team that could win the Big Ten and make a deep run. A chance to make the NBA scouts start noticing him. 

Or he could go to Europe and disappear. 

Jeff Goodman and Andy Katz both think he comes back. It's not as outlandish as some of our fans want to believe. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe he loves playing college basketball and he knows the opportunity to play pro will still be there next year.

Why did I know you would say that...😂😂😂

Maybe you're right...maybe he loves the college experience, but if he's staying to improve his pro prospects, I think that would be a real mistake.  There are very real risks to his pro prospects if he stays (injury, stock dropping, etc.).

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

A chance to be one of the best players in the country again. Playing on a team that could win the Big Ten and make a deep run. A chance to make the NBA scouts start noticing him. 

Or he could go to Europe and disappear. 

Jeff Goodman and Andy Katz both think he comes back. It's not as outlandish as some of our fans want to believe. 

No, it's not.  I wouldn't be shocked if he comes back.  I'm just questioning if his star really gets brighter than it was this last season.  Great player, but he seems at least very close to maxing his potential at Iowa.

What if he falls out of the top ten in the NPOY race?  What if next year's draft is a lot deeper?  What if he gets hurt?  I see at least as many reasons to leave as I do to stay.