Will there be a 20-21 Season?

Yeah, this article is TMZ which is basically a gossip rag, but it is quoting Kirk Herbstreit.  He feels there is a danger that the NFL/College football season could/should be cancelled or delayed this year depending on how long we are wrestling with COVID-19.

Obviously, people's lives are more important than these games, want to get that out there first before saying this:  it is already a little disappointing that we could not see if this past year's team had a run in them.  It would be even more disappointing if this virus kept us from seeing certain player combinations (think Lander/Jackson-Davis).

I don't know, thought it might be something interesting to talk about.

19 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

My guess is that the season will happen with out crowds. 

This article does a thorough job of laying out the possibilities. https://www.theatlantic.com/newsletters/archive/2020/03/social-distancing-isnt-going-away-anytime-soon/608995/

That's not the article I meant to share - the one I meant laid out 4 scenarios. Basically, 1) the most unlikely, it's not as bad as we think so just a couple months; 2) immunity builds and we get pretty good at treating it (though a cure is not realistic) so 4 months; 3) hot weather helps and we get a handle on things but there are outbreaks; 4) things are awful until we get a vaccine which is 12-18 months away, if we're lucky.

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-social-distancing-over-back-to-normal/608752/

3 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yeah, this article is TMZ which is basically a gossip rag, but it is quoting Kirk Herbstreit.  He feels there is a danger that the NFL/College football season could/should be cancelled or delayed this year depending on how long we are wrestling with COVID-19.

Obviously, people's lives are more important than these games, want to get that out there first before saying this:  it is already a little disappointing that we could not see if this past year's team had a run in them.  It would be even more disappointing if this virus kept us from seeing certain player combinations (think Lander/Jackson-Davis).

I don't know, thought it might be something interesting to talk about.

Look at China and it took them like 4 months to start opening things up so I would think by July we could be getting back to normal.

51 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Look at China and it took them like 4 months to start opening things up so I would think by July we could be getting back to normal.

Let's hope that warm weather helps to soften the curve. Just as it has with the normal flu for years.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I deal with China on a daily basis.  They are far from normal. 

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

China took draconian measures to control the spread of disease.  The response in the U.S. was far later and has so far been much weaker, so expect it to get much worse and for much longer than it did there.

Also, you have to realize that the number of infected people is still growing there, just not as quickly as it was.  To make a car analogy... They went from accelerating really fast to accelerating slower (rate of infection)... but their speed (number of infections) is still increasing.

6 minutes ago, andy_puiu said:

China took draconian measures to control the spread of disease.  The response in the U.S. was far later and has so far been much weaker, so expect it to get much worse and for much longer than it did there.

Also, you have to realize that the number of infected people is still growing there, just not as quickly as it was.  To make a car analogy... They went from accelerating really fast to accelerating slower (rate of infection)... but their speed (number of infections) is still increasing.

Lol you believe China plus we are testing many more people now with a lower death rate.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Lol you believe China plus we are testing many more people now with a lower death rate.

Right. The Chinese government is officially reporting less than 3.300 deaths, but an independent report out of China just reported that 5,000 burial urns were just delivered to two of many funeral homes in Wuhan. There’s a reason they kicked Western reporters out of the area and were arresting doctors who were reporting actual numbers 

I agree that it is much too early to predict. But the university has already announced that it is moving to all online instruction for the summer. It wouldn't shock me if it eventually does the same for the fall. At that point, I think it would be extremely unlikely that we would have November or December basketball.

Some experts are predicting a series of lockdown periods over the next year or two, as waves of corona ebb and flow. If that were to happen, it is difficult to imagine how IU would have residential instruction next school year -- since students may have to disperse for several weeks at a time at the drop of a hat -- which in turn would make it difficult to imagine a 2020-21 basketball season.

Hate to be a Debby Downer, and I hope we get this thing solved in the next few months, but I have to think it is certainly at least possible that we miss a season of hoops. Which is crazy to think about.

9 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I agree that it is much too early to predict. But the university has already announced that it is moving to all online instruction for the summer. It wouldn't shock me if it eventually does the same for the fall. At that point, I think it would be extremely unlikely that we would have November or December basketball.

Some experts are predicting a series of lockdown periods over the next year or two, as waves of corona ebb and flow. If that were to happen, it is difficult to imagine how IU would have residential instruction next school year -- since students may have to disperse for several weeks at a time at the drop of a hat -- which in turn would make it difficult to imagine a 2020-21 basketball season.

Hate to be a Debby Downer, and I hope we get this thing solved in the next few months, but I have to think it is certainly at least possible that we miss a season of hoops. Which is crazy to think about.

I think with the research that indicates a slowing of the spread of the virus in the summer months, and the vaccines(s) and cures getting "fast tracked" we'll be ok...

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think with the research that indicates a slowing of the spread of the virus in the summer months, and the vaccines(s) and cures getting "fast tracked" we'll be ok...

I hope you are correct and not to be a Debbie Downer, but it’s very unlikely there will be a ‘cure’ per se. Perhaps medication will be created to help treat symptoms to keep people out of the hospital, but not a cure. Also, a vaccine can get ‘fast tracked’, a law was passed in 2013 to allow this in emergencies, but a better word to use is ‘streamlined’. There are unavoidable side-steps in getting a vaccine to market. According to many articles where epidemiologists are being interviewed (not opinion pieces) I’ve read 12 months is considered fast. I’ll try to find the podcast I listened to about this that explains why 12 months are needed and pm you if interested. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I hope you are correct and not to be a Debbie Downer, but it’s very unlikely there will be a ‘cure’ per se. Perhaps medication will be created to help treat symptoms to keep people out of the hospital, but not a cure. Also, a vaccine can get ‘fast tracked’, a law was passed in 2013 to allow this in emergencies, but a better word to use is ‘streamlined’. There are unavoidable side-steps in getting a vaccine to market. According to many articles where epidemiologists are being interviewed (not opinion pieces) I’ve read 12 months is considered fast. I’ll try to find the podcast I listened to about this that explains why 12 months are needed and pm you if interested. 

Perhaps "treatments" would have been a preferable term to "cure."

And, yes, I'd be very interested...

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I've read and heard 12 months as well to get the vaccine to everyone.   It will take months to test and make sure they are safe and effective.  Then you have to factor the time it will take companies to produce worldwide quantities.  And then the time it takes to distribute and get people the vaccine.  

Sad and scary situation.  Let's hope and pray the virus dies off with the seasonal changes happening.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

Archived