B1G next season

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, madmax said:

I feel like you might think a differently if guaranteed millions were awaiting you.

In my mind, the decision is simple:

If you’re a first round lock you should go. Your contract will be guaranteed and if you’re smart, you’ll never have to work another day in your life even if you never get another contract.

If you’re not a lock it comes down to lots of things-age, family situation, chances of improving stock next year etc.

That being said if it were me, and I were a future NBA a player who decided to stay another year in school I would 100% get a fat insurance policy on myself.

Well staying years sure helped a lot of the all time great basketball players.  Tim Duncan could have been the 1st pic of the draft after hos freshman year but stayed 4 years.  To me I would want to go to the league once I know I could contribute instead of just worrying about getting paid and sitting the bench for 3 years.

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Nope I am way different because I would stay all for years even if I were the #1 draft pick.  I don't worry about injuries because today there is very little chance to have a career ending injury so the NBA will always be there.  Also if you are afraid that the longer you are in school the NBA will find your faults then you probably won't make it anyways.  If you go after a year or stay 4 years they will find your faults if you have them so to me either way you won't make it.

What about a projected first pick who grew up poor and in a bad neighborhood? He wants to move his family to a safer neighborhood. He wants to put get his younger siblings into a better school system so they have a better future. He wants to help his mom get out of debt. Etc. You think he should stay 3 more years just to appease some fans or help his family? And if he doesn't, you are going to minimize the decision and suggest his priorities aren't straight by saying he doesn't care about college basketball? 

In this situation, which is quite common, it doesn't sound like the basketball player whose priorities aren't straight. 

The point is, from your perspective you don't see all the factors that weigh into a decision. You, as a fan, have one concern: wanting the guys to stay in college for YOUR entertainment. 

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i honestly haven't done any research other than seeing Yahoo's way too early prediction.  they had all 5 i listed in their top 25.  

I don't know where IU will ultimately be projected, but I don't think any of those projections include Lander arriving next year, and a few probably are made thinking TJD could leave (ie. the Michigan projection from the previous page). 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well staying years sure helped a lot of the all time great basketball players.  Tim Duncan could have been the 1st pic of the draft after hos freshman year but stayed 4 years.  To me I would want to go to the league once I know I could contribute instead of just worrying about getting paid and sitting the bench for 3 years.

What irritates me is that other sports don't seem to have this issue. Football players have to be 3 years removed from high school before entering the NFL, and they need that 3 years to develop physically, mentally and emotionally before setting foot in the pros. Baseball players have the option of going straight from high school, but even then, they aren't going from high school straight to Yankee Stadium every night, and because college players have to wait 3 years, teams have more stability and know who will be back most of the time. College basketball is the only sport that has this annual purge of talent leaving school too soon and having to rebuild rosters every year, while some of those players break down in the pros because they haven too many holes in their game or they just weren't mature enough to handle it. 

Look at the Michigan guy's projections. He has TJD, Garza and Wesson leaving early, when none of them are projected to be drafted this year. How has it gotten to a point where we expect kids to leave when they don't show up in any mock drafts? Why has it reached that point?

I just feel like compared to the NFL and MLB, the NBA has a lot of sunk costs due to players who were pressured into going there too soon, and no one seems to care because they got paid. 

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

What about a projected first pick who grew up poor and in a bad neighborhood? He wants to move his family to a safer neighborhood. He wants to put get his younger siblings into a better school system so they have a better future. He wants to help his mom get out of debt. Etc. You think he should stay 3 more years just to appease some fans or help his family? And if he doesn't, you are going to minimize the decision and suggest his priorities aren't straight by saying he doesn't care about college basketball? 

In this situation, which is quite common, it doesn't sound like the basketball player whose priorities aren't straight. 

The point is, from your perspective you don't see all the factors that weigh into a decision. You, as a fan, have one concern: wanting the guys to stay in college for YOUR entertainment. 

In my view, regardless of whether the player and his family really need the money or not, any fan that says the player should pass up millions of dollars is being selfish since it would only really benefit the fan. It's very easy to look at someone else and say they should pass up that kind of money. I doubt very much many people on these boards would do the same if in that position, despite what they may say here about that hypothetical situation.

Reasons to leave as soon as possible (some of these have already been listed):

-Possibility of injury if they stay.

-Possibility to hurt draft position if they stay.

-Start making money sooner.

-This goes with the one above but basketball players have a limited amount of time in which to make money playing. Taking that in to account playing in college for 1-4 (or even 5) years is a HUGE hit on the amount of money a player could earn over their playing career. A few make it to their late 30s. A few more make it to mid-30s. Most are out probably around 30. It's a small window that gets smaller very passing year.

-Education - 1 year of playing would more than pay for the rest of their education. That's not even taking in to account that schools like IU say they'll still be able to get their education paid for.

-Development - college coaches are restricted in the amount of time they can work with the athletes. Pro coaches don't have this restriction. And while college coaches are very good, professional coaches are some of the best in the world. The professionals also have better facilities. Athlete can focus solely on developing as a professional player versus splitting time between practice and school while in college. The players they practice against in the pros will also be better.

There are only a few reasons I can think of for a player to stay. They want to be there. They're not going to be drafted at the present time but development plus exposure might give them a better chance of making the NBA than playing overseas. Some of the points above apply to all professional players, even though the money might not be as good as the NBA, but exposure is one advantage the NCAA does have over playing overseas.

45 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

In my view, regardless of whether the player and his family really need the money or not, any fan that says the player should pass up millions of dollars is being selfish since it would only really benefit the fan. It's very easy to look at someone else and say they should pass up that kind of money. I doubt very much many people on these boards would do the same if in that position, despite what they may say here about that hypothetical situation.

Reasons to leave as soon as possible (some of these have already been listed):

-Possibility of injury if they stay.

-Possibility to hurt draft position if they stay.

-Start making money sooner.

-This goes with the one above but basketball players have a limited amount of time in which to make money playing. Taking that in to account playing in college for 1-4 (or even 5) years is a HUGE hit on the amount of money a player could earn over their playing career. A few make it to their late 30s. A few more make it to mid-30s. Most are out probably around 30. It's a small window that gets smaller very passing year.

-Education - 1 year of playing would more than pay for the rest of their education. That's not even taking in to account that schools like IU say they'll still be able to get their education paid for.

-Development - college coaches are restricted in the amount of time they can work with the athletes. Pro coaches don't have this restriction. And while college coaches are very good, professional coaches are some of the best in the world. The professionals also have better facilities. Athlete can focus solely on developing as a professional player versus splitting time between practice and school while in college. The players they practice against in the pros will also be better.

There are only a few reasons I can think of for a player to stay. They want to be there. They're not going to be drafted at the present time but development plus exposure might give them a better chance of making the NBA than playing overseas. Some of the points above apply to all professional players, even though the money might not be as good as the NBA, but exposure is one advantage the NCAA does have over playing overseas.

I don't think people are talking about the sure fire one and done players who is going to be really good players more than likely.  What I don't understand are the players who leave early when they are not even projected to be drafted high or at all.  I look over the list of early entrants and even though I watch a lot of basketball there are some n there that I have not heard of.  Also look at some of their stats and they don't even show a great college player.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It's past the time for the NBA to change the rules.  Those that need the money, or for other reasons, like Labron James should be allowed to go into the NBA out of high school.

I love the college game, too much. Those that elect to get a college education, and ball.... should be required to stay in school... till they get their degree.  Sorry... my personal opinion..... but I DO feel strongly about this.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

It's past the time for the NBA to change the rules.  Those that need the money, or for other reasons, like Labron James should be allowed to go into the NBA out of high school.

I love the college game, too much. Those that elect to get a college education, and ball.... should be required to stay in school... till they get their degree.  Sorry... my personal opinion..... but I DO feel strongly about this.

I would love the baseball rule where you go to college then you have to stay at least  3 years.  With a lot of kids coming into college with college credits it is not real hard for kids to graduate in 3 years.  With the athletes taking summer classes every ear also makes it easier to get your degree in 3 years.  I am not in favor of college basketball being a minor league system for the NBA and that is what it is getting to be.  I think it is hurting the college game so much because we are not only losing the big time players but a lot of marginal players are leaving as well.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would love the baseball rule where you go to college then you have to stay at least  3 years.  With a lot of kids coming into college with college credits it is not real hard for kids to graduate in 3 years.  With the athletes taking summer classes every ear also makes it easier to get your degree in 3 years.  I am not in favor of college basketball being a minor league system for the NBA and that is what it is getting to be.  I think it is hurting the college game so much because we are not only losing the big time players but a lot of marginal players are leaving as well.

Great post. Could not agree with you more.

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think people are talking about the sure fire one and done players who is going to be really good players more than likely.  What I don't understand are the players who leave early when they are not even projected to be drafted high or at all.  I look over the list of early entrants and even though I watch a lot of basketball there are some n there that I have not heard of.  Also look at some of their stats and they don't even show a great college player.

Sometimes their stock is as high as it's ever going to get so there's no point in staying even if they go undrafted. Look at Thomas Bryant.  I believe he was a late second rounder and was then waived.  And recently signed a $25M deal setting up the family for life. 

47 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Sometimes their stock is as high as it's ever going to get so there's no point in staying even if they go undrafted. Look at Thomas Bryant.  I believe he was a late second rounder and was then waived.  And recently signed a $25M deal setting up the family for life. 

See I just don't get that thinking at all because more than likely you will need our degree to get a real job.  If I am a sophomore and don't think I will get drafted there is no way in hell that I would leave school early.  TB is the exception and not a the rule for guys getting waived early then getting a big contract.  If I know my stock is not going to change then I don't understand leaving at all because I would rather be  main guy in college then having to go to the G-league.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

See I just don't get that thinking at all because more than likely you will need our degree to get a real job.  If I am a sophomore and don't think I will get drafted there is no way in hell that I would leave school early.  TB is the exception and not a the rule for guys getting waived early then getting a big contract.  If I know my stock is not going to change then I don't understand leaving at all because I would rather be  main guy in college then having to go to the G-league.

There are multiple avenues, whether G League, where they now make legit salaries, or Europe, or China, or Japan where they can make probably more than you’ve ever made — wait for it — playing basketball. As in the game they’ve played their whole lives, for most, with the possibility of earning a living playing the game.

Your thinking relates to you, great if you want to stay in school - leaving aside your life situation is no doubt completely different than the guys who are major DI players who’ve built their lives for their futures in this game. Your thinking, as already pointed out, also ignores that, for a player trying to go pro, it may be their best time to go for it. You flipped that on its head, saying if you think your stock is never going to change - that’s not what he was saying and missed the point. Staying in school often does not increase your odds, it decreases them. That’s reality. 

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

IU (and the B1G) guarantee paid schooling so it's not an either/or decision.

32 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

And yet. Regardless of the money.  Having a college degree is not only a major accomplishment. But. Something no one can take way from you.

And yet, they can always go back and get like Cody Zeller did.

7 hours ago, BDB said:

And yet, they can always go back and get like Cody Zeller did.

Hell, even Isiah came back and got his degree.

This leaving early stuff is moot.  The NBA has their system set in place and the kids are taking advantage of it.  Capitalism at it's finest.

1 hour ago, Indy1987 said:

I think you'd be surprised with the number of NBA players that have went back to earn their degrees.  

MJ, Shaq, Chris Paul, Kevin Durant, Russel Westbrook, Vince Carter just to name a few.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

Thank you.  I am always ready to admit when I am wrong.  I honestly don't follow the NBA.  So it is good to learn.  I know Victor got his degree before leaving for the NBA.

After all. They all can afford to pay the tuition.   LOL

Archived