B1G next season

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Thank you.  I am always ready to admit when I am wrong.  I honestly don't follow the NBA.  So it is good to learn.  I know Victor got his degree before leaving for the NBA.

After all. They all can afford to pay the tuition.   LOL

I mean there probably are a lot that don't go back.   Most likely the ones that never would have made it into college(or wanted to go) had they not been star players.   And that's okay.  Not everyone needs a college degree to be successful in life.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Kaleb Wesson declares for the draft and is hiring an agent.

Per his father he's also maintaining eligibility so he could return if he doesn't like what he hears.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's back at OSU next year. About the highest he's been project is mid-second round and not even in many mock drafts.

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

Per his father he's also maintaining eligibility so he could return if he doesn't like what he hears.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's back at OSU next year. About the highest he's been project is mid-second round and not even in many mock drafts.

I thought once you hired an agent, you couldn't go back? Or did that change? 

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

I thought once you hired an agent, you couldn't go back? Or did that change? 

It's a somewhat recent change in the last year or two. There are some restrictions still on what they can do for the player but it is possible to remain eligible even with an agent.

1 minute ago, go_iu_bb said:

It's a somewhat recent change in the last year or two. There are some restrictions still on what they can do for the player but it is possible to remain eligible even with an agent.

So amateur athletes can now have agents. Between this and immediate eligibility for all transfers (which is coming this summer), it's pretty clear the NCAA isn't even trying anymore. 

Just now, TheWatShot said:

So amateur athletes can now have agents. Between this and immediate eligibility for all transfers (which is coming this summer), it's pretty clear the NCAA isn't even trying anymore. 

Yep. 2018 was the rule change and it appears it took effect in 2019. I had forgotten but it also includes that undrafted players can return to school, too.

https://www.si.com/college/2019/04/02/nba-draft-ncaa-agent-rules-changes-explained

Since we are talking about agents and what not, if you're really interested in learning some more about some of the new rules in regards to how the players could capitalize on likeness, the effect of states approving new laws in regards to athletes can make money, and how the "agent" term might get very broad I recommend this panel from the Sloan Conference at MIT this year. It's a 50 minute video so it takes some time to watch but features a dude who currently works for a company that works on likeness with some professional league unions, Saquon Barkley, an Executive VP of the NCAA (Stan Wilcox, I didn't know this but he played basketball for Notre Dame in the late 70s), and the athletic director of Boston College

On 3/30/2020 at 11:39 PM, FKIM01 said:

LOL...you haven't been watching then.  Cody has been featured multiple times.

No I haven’t and could care less about the NBA game but glad our Cody has been featured a time or two which makes us Hoosiers Proud!!!  If we only would’ve seen it, sigh!

On 3/31/2020 at 3:39 PM, IU Scott said:

I don't think people are talking about the sure fire one and done players who is going to be really good players more than likely.  What I don't understand are the players who leave early when they are not even projected to be drafted high or at all.  I look over the list of early entrants and even though I watch a lot of basketball there are some n there that I have not heard of.  Also look at some of their stats and they don't even show a great college player.

EXACTLY, this is my biggest argument on players leaving early! If you project to be a starting player on an NBA team, leave early and hats off to you!  If you project to be a project player for 1-3 yrs in the development league, STAY IN SCHOOL Noah & Cody!!!!

8 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

EXACTLY, this is my biggest argument on players leaving early! If you project to be a starting player on an NBA team, leave early and hats off to you!  If you project to be a project player for 1-3 yrs in the development league, STAY IN SCHOOL Noah & Cody!!!!

What are they going to learn about basketball going to classes at IU as opposed to playing basketball 24/7 with the best coaches in world?  All while getting paid for it

10 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Cody Zeller played in 82 games as a rookie and has basically been starting since his second year, and been one of the most efficient centers in the league, when healthy, for about 5 years. 

3 hours ago, BDB said:

What are they going to learn about basketball going to classes at IU as opposed to playing basketball 24/7 with the best coaches in world?  All while getting paid for it

t is just not learning the game but what you can learn off the court and let the kid time to mature.  Most of these 19 year old kids are not ready for what they get off the court more than what is on the court.  

On 4/1/2020 at 2:38 PM, go_iu_bb said:

This would probably the year for him to go, because This year’s draft class won’t be as strong as next year’s class, imo. If he’s getting a mid 2nd round grade, he should jump on that, because I believe he’s peaked. 

On 3/30/2020 at 11:00 PM, TheWatShot said:

TJD, Garza and Wesson aren't projected to be drafted this year, yet they're expecting them to leave? Why? 

Probably have to go if you’re Garza, his stock might never be higher — although he missed out on a huge opportunity to boost his profile with the tournament getting cancelled.

Like he already announced earlier this year, TJD is coming back for sure (good decision on his part).

I think it’d be a mistake for Wesson to leave, but with all the turmoil at OSU right now, I could see it happening.  Regardless, I don’t think Wesson will make it in the NBA no matter when he leaves.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Probably have to go if you’re Garza, his stock might never be higher — although he missed out on a huge opportunity to boost his profile with the tournament getting cancelled.

What stock? He's not even projected to be drafted. 

I guess we should hope he's foolish enough to leave, because we need the rest of the conference to get weaker if we're going to move up. 

Wasn't sure where to put this since we have a recruiting section for us and every other kid we've spoken with. Anyway....Josh Christopher, top 10 scoring guard in country....chose Arizona St last night over Michigan and couple others. Every crystal ball was Michigan and given the moves/transfers made recently I'm assuming Howard thought he was getting him as well.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this since we have a recruiting section for us and every other kid we've spoken with. Anyway....Josh Christopher, top 10 scoring guard in country....chose Arizona St last night over Michigan and couple others. Every crystal ball was Michigan and given the moves/transfers made recently I'm assuming Howard thought he was getting him as well.

I was talking to my Michigan buddy a week or so ago and he told me Josh had a brother at ASU and didn't think the Wolverines would get him.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

I was talking to my Michigan buddy a week or so ago and he told me Josh had a brother at ASU and didn't think the Wolverines would get him.

Thanks! Didn't know that. I woke up to the news and I think 100% of crystal ball choices were Michigan. Maybe it wasn't the lock everyone was thinking. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks! Didn't know that. I woke up to the news and I think 100% of crystal ball choices were Michigan. Maybe it wasn't the lock everyone was thinking. 

No problem.  But it just goes to show that fans of schools sometimes know more than the experts!  LOL

On 4/2/2020 at 8:54 AM, BGleas said:

Cody Zeller played in 82 games as a rookie and has basically been starting since his second year, and been one of the most efficient centers in the league, when healthy, for about 5 years. 

Not to mention will have grossed over $50 million well before he turns 30. There's not a single occupation where Zeller could have made that much money in so little time with an IU degree. It's very selfish for fans to think players must stay for four years. Truth be told, I left IU 9 credits short of graduating because the internship I held was willing to hire me on full time. It was a tough decision at the time as I had worked very hard towards a degree but a decision over the years that I wouldn't change for anything.

16 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Isaiah Todd just decommitted from Michigan and is exploring playing professionally. This was rumored when he committed and it is now happening.

Not a good couple of weeks for UM with two transfers and losing a recruit last night and now this.

Archived