Kareem says MJ is NOT the greatest College basketball player of all time!

59 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Jerry Lucas?

National Champ (61)

3 Final 4s

2X POY

3X All American

He's gotta be top 5 based on his 3 years...

Oh yeah.  I bet if this board put their collective heads together we could put MJ outside the Top 50...

7 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

You and me both. That's why I'm just the audience for this one :D  Feel the same way about the numbers though! 

Better question might be was MJ even a better college player than  all of his UNC teammates? 

I would also think considering collegiate year US Olympic play before the professional era would be more relevant than having their NBA careers in mind in a conversation about best college players. 

Now we’re almost going too far in the other direction on this topic with Jordan. His UNC teammates admit that after he was on campus a week they all knew he was the best player on the team. 

19 minutes ago, rico said:

Oh yeah.  I bet if this board put their collective heads together we could put MJ outside the Top 50...

It could be argued that Jordan is the 4th best player to ever play in the ACC behind Ralph Sampson, David Thompson, and Christian Laettner...

41 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Now we’re almost going too far in the other direction on this topic with Jordan. His UNC teammates admit that after he was on campus a week they all knew he was the best player on the team. 

Ummmm, James Worthy was the PoY in 1982,  the tournament's MVP in '82, and the #1 pick in the '82 draft.

There are so many.  Jordan was never close to being the greatest in college.  Many were named above.  Kareem, Pistol Pete, Wilt, Lucas, Magic, and Bird were probably  the top tier.  Walton, Pinckney,  Thompson, Alford, etc.  Not Russell, Ewing, or any of the other IU greats, although they were also up there.

Funny, but all of these are older guys.  Nobody today plays in college long enough to get mentioned.

10 hours ago, rico said:

Ummmm, James Worthy was the PoY in 1982,  the tournament's MVP in '82, and the #1 pick in the '82 draft.

Good info, thanks for the heads up on that! Worthy was definitely an amazing player in his own right. I was only 3 that year so of course do not remember watching that tournament. I was just going off some of the players on that team saying Jordan was the best player on the team. Of course there’s a difference between most talented and who performed the best in the games. 

10 hours ago, morganmonroe said:

I know this is heresy on this site to say it, but Rick Mount was quite a player. 

Absolutely.  I haven't seen the list, but there are so many players from pre-1980 that were very good, and in many cases could shoot rings around today's top college players. Chamberlain, Russell, Mount, Maravich, and so many more are all-time greats.  Heck, how good would an Adrian Dantley or Austin Carr be in today's collegiate game?

On 4/4/2020 at 9:21 AM, BGleas said:

I was definitely unaware of those comments, and just found a few old games that got me curious enough to ponder beyond the stats and accolades as of that time. It was more out of gaining respect for Perkins when I took a look at those pre-NBA times. He had a pretty dominant game against IU, and I didn't realize that either. Thanks for sharing that! 

Worthy . Idk about that being too far.

Lol I'm a Laker fan too so I am biased even if I feel objective.Lol Don't feel comfy going there all the way because I know I am partial. 

On 4/4/2020 at 10:04 AM, rico said:

I see you got to the Worthy part.  :)  I admit he is the only I knew much about, but those comments have weight coming from them admitting he was the best! Either way! I'm just not one to always disagree with people who come out and say it . I had a different reply in mind  before I read that I admit.

On 4/4/2020 at 7:01 AM, rico said:

Kareem

Bill Walton

Patrick Ewing

Quinn Buckner

Christian Laetner

David Thompson

Danny Manning

Bill Russell

James Worthy

Ed Pickney

Just off the top of my head with a championship in mind.

There are multiple guys that had better college careers but never won a championship.

What about Larry Bird? 

Archived