Purdue's Jeff Brohm to Tennessee?

madmax

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21607338/tennessee-volunteers-turn-focus-purdue-boilermakers-coach-jeff-brohm

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/report-tennessee-close-landing-purdue-coach-jeff-brohm/

Big loss for Purdue, if true. And big win for IU as well. Brohm seems like a real stud. Who here honestly thought Purdue would be 6-6 and bowling this year? And he did it in his first season, with none of his own players or chance to really establish the program. I can't imagine being a Boilermaker fan right now, that has got to be rough (Not that I feel bad).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Indykev said:

Yep saw that. Also saw a picture of Brohm with a recruit that was taken today(recruiting for PU, obviously). It would appear that these are bad rumors, although you really never know. It isn't unheard of for coaches to literally recruit up until the point that they take another job.

The only thing I've read is that Tennessee has "turned their attention" to Brohm. It doesn't say they've met, it doesn't say Brohm has expressed interest. This is no more (probably less) than the announcement that they were going to discuss the job with Gundy who later expressed no interest. I don't know how/why their targets are all getting leaked. If I were UT I'd start doing this way more behind the scenes before they get to their 5th-6th option and embarrass themselves any further. 

5 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

So if Brohm did decline what does that say about the stature of the Tennessee job now.  Turning down Tenn to stay at Purdue would be a crazy thought a decade or two ago.

One has to realize that UT can toss money around.  It is nothing to them.  They are one of the Top Ten jobs in college football.  Financially speaking.  Now that being said.......they appear to have the wrong people in control.  Which has perpetuated their demise.  Several bad caching hires, running good coaches out of town.  I just dunno.

23 minutes ago, rico said:

One has to realize that UT can toss money around.  It is nothing to them.  They are one of the Top Ten jobs in college football.  Financially speaking.  Now that being said.......they appear to have the wrong people in control.  Which has perpetuated their demise.  Several bad caching hires, running good coaches out of town.  I just dunno.

I disagree. They're a top 25 job, not top 10. They're not even a top 5 SEC job. 

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I disagree. They're a top 25 job, not top 10. They're not even a top 5 SEC job. 

Depends really how you measure it. They offered Gundy around 7 million a year, which I believe would instantly be top 5 in all of CFB. Huge fan support year in and out. I’d say they’re probably very similar to IUBB in a lot of ways. Championship past, rabid fan base, trying to get things back to the glory days. 

4 minutes ago, madmax said:

Depends really how you measure it. They offered Gundy around 7 million a year, which I believe would instantly be top 5 in all of CFB. Huge fan support year in and out. I’d say they’re probably very similar to IUBB in a lot of ways. Championship past, rabid fan base, trying to get things back to the glory days. 

Half the SEC has that plus a better recruiting base. I don't think we want to say a top 5 job has to have a top 5 coach in salary. 

Dabo is the second highest paid coach in CFB, does anyone think Clemson is the second best job?

Tennessee and IUBB aren't similar historically, they're just in similar ruts. Tennessee isn't one of the first names people think of in college football. 

2 hours ago, madmax said:

Yep saw that. Also saw a picture of Brohm with a recruit that was taken today(recruiting for PU, obviously). It would appear that these are bad rumors, although you really never know. It isn't unheard of for coaches to literally recruit up until the point that they take another job.

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Half the SEC has that plus a better recruiting base. I don't think we want to say a top 5 job has to have a top 5 coach in salary. 

Dabo is the second highest paid coach in CFB, does anyone think Clemson is the second best job?

Tennessee and IUBB aren't similar historically, they're just in similar ruts. Tennessee isn't one of the first names people think of in college football. 

The coaches, like the players, have agents that negotiate and make contact. I’m not saying it is true or isn’t, but there is always wiggle room in an AD’s ability to make statements like the one concerning hike “being out recruiting”. Also, at 1.2 million a year, filling the head coach and DC, I don’t think we are in danger of upsetting the pay scale on the high side if those numbers are correct. I thought if they had a good year this year we would hear that Allen’s contract was renegotiated. He may have really shot himself in the foot, contract and team, with his OC hire. I was around some Tennessee team people last summer, and yes they did warn me, and they seemed to suggest they wanted the head coach and the OC out of there but, as often happens, the HC quietly sacrificed the OC. 

Allen is a person of character who is a green first time head coach in college at a big ten program, he will need time and he needs a good OC and DC. But he has the character you want representing your school, there is no doubt about that. He just needs to delegate to good people.

Archived