Purdue's Jeff Brohm to Tennessee?

madmax

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, rico said:

That is just saying how much football means to the Vols.  Right now it is a dumpster fire.  But they have the resources to get whoever.  When was the last time Texas was relevant?  

A lot more recently than Tennessee?  I know football matters to the Vols, but it isn't a top 10 job.  Probably top 15 and certainly top 25, but not top 10.  

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

A lot more recently than Tennessee?  I know football matters to the Vols, but it isn't a top 10 job.  Probably top 15 and certainly top 25, but not top 10.  

I disagree.  I consider them a "blue blood".  I would rank mine this way........

1)  Notre Dame

2)  Michigan

3)  Alabama

4)  Ohio St.

5)  USC

6)  Texas

7)  Tennessee

8)  Penn St.

9)  Oklahoma

10) Nebraska

Now that it is all speculative on my part.  I look at tradition and revenue.

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I suppose it's all how you define a top job. I see your point, the SEC is loaded with tradition rich teams, and they don't necessarily stand out from the rest.

That being said, it's still a major job. Top 5 or top 15, it doesn't really matter. It's pretty incredible that they are having such a hard time getting someone to come. I know the Schiano fiasco certainly didn't help, but still.

And now it appears as if it won't be Frohm.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21609976/tennessee-focus-vols-next-coach-shifts-nc-state-wolfpack-dave-doeren

Doeren is a pretty underwhelming hire. He had big success at Northern Illinois, but he is 33-30 at NC State over the 5 seasons he has been there. His best season was 2014 at 8-5(This year they are 8-4 currently). I read somewhere that Frohm had agreed to a deal, but that the the folks at Tennessee ended up changing their minds about the dollar amounts and upon offering him a new deal, he denied it. Lots of smoke coming from there obviously, and it's difficult to sort out the truth. I think it's a safe bet that Frohm was approached about the job, but I'm not really comfortable predicting what else has occurred as there is contradictory information all over the place.

9 minutes ago, rico said:

I disagree.  I consider them a "blue blood".  I would rank mine this way........

1)  Notre Dame

2)  Michigan

3)  Alabama

4)  Ohio St.

5)  USC

6)  Texas

7)  Tennessee

8)  Penn St.

9)  Oklahoma

10) Nebraska

Now that it is all speculative on my part.  I look at tradition and revenue.

I would consider Tennessee behind all of those teams except for possibly Nebraska (that's a great comparison for them IMO).  But in the SEC alone you'd have:

Bama

Florida

Georgia

LSU

Auburn 

Texas A&M (probably)

Those are all better jobs than Tennessee.  You realize UT has no natural recruiting base, much like Nebraska?  How can you put them over a school like Penn State, Florida or Georgia?  They've got the same resources, same support and a recruiting base. 

Per Clay Travis:"I am told that UT AD John Currie made an offer to Jeff Brohm that Brohm accepted. Currie then asked the chancellor to approve the offer — buyout included — and chancellor said no. So Currie went back to Brohm with lesser offer and Brohm said no. So here we are. "

(Couldn't get the Tweet to embed)

What a mess.

8 minutes ago, madmax said:

Per Clay Travis:"I am told that UT AD John Currie made an offer to Jeff Brohm that Brohm accepted. Currie then asked the chancellor to approve the offer — buyout included — and chancellor said no. So Currie went back to Brohm with lesser offer and Brohm said no. So here we are. "

What a mess.

Yeah, they're going after NC State coach now.  Weird a top job can't get this figured out. 

11 minutes ago, madmax said:

What a mess.

Yeah that’s not true at all. Clay Travis is full of crap haha. 

Yeah, they're going after NC State coach now.  Weird a top job can't get this figured out. 

C'mon.. even by your own admission it's top 15(out of 130) which in the grand scheme of CFB would still count as a "top job". From all appearances it truly appears that his whole thing has been completely mismanaged. From the Schiano disaster, to the leaks about every single coach who has turned them down. It's been completely bungled by their AD.

I think this has much more to do with the way it was handled than the prospects of the job itself.

1 minute ago, madmax said:

C'mon.. even by your own admission it's top 15(out of 130) which in the grand scheme of CFB would still count as a "top job". From all appearances it truly appears that his whole thing has been completely mismanaged. From the Schiano disaster, to the leaks about every single coach who has turned them down. It's been completely bungled by their AD.

I think this has much more to do with the way it was handled than the prospects of the job itself.

From a national perspective, I do think it's top 15ish, but I also think it's at best a mid-level job within its conference.  It's a weird spot UT is in.  

It's obviously been mismanaged, but there's also a reason their best first choice was Schiano anyway. 

From a national perspective, I do think it's top 15ish, but I also think it's at best a mid-level job within its conference.  It's a weird spot UT is in.  

It's obviously been mismanaged, but there's also a reason their best first choice was Schiano anyway. 

That's fair. And the Schiano disaster only made it that much more difficult for them to get a coach, I'm sure.

I'm surprised they haven't tried to land Les Miles. He's certainly a better option than most of the names that have been linked to the job.

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Look at UT's history for the past 10 years?  They can't get nothing right.  They are kind of the mirror image of us.  Bad choices and bad results.  But they are an elite team in the CFB world.  

14 minutes ago, rico said:

Look at UT's history for the past 10 years?  They can't get nothing right.  They are kind of the mirror image of us.  Bad choices and bad results.  But they are an elite team in the CFB world.  

They played in a national title game within the past decade. 

They also are in a recruiting hot bed and do have a resources advantage over everyone else. 

Tennessee is much more like Nebraska than Texas. 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

They played in a national title game within the past decade. 

They also are in a recruiting hot bed and do have a resources advantage over everyone else. 

Tennessee is much more like Nebraska than Texas. 

I disagree.....Tennessee is in hot bed of recruiting.  They cross the border and get a bunch of kids from western Carolina.

It's been a total disaster. I can't fathom the AD keeping his job, at least not if the administration is listening to the fans at all.

I also heard the names Kevin Sumlin and Les Miles mentioned in regards to the job. I'm surprised Miles wasn't targeted earlier, he has a pretty impressive track record as a head coach.

He was 114-34 at LSU, made it to the natty twice and won it once. He got run out of LSU unfairly in my opinion. He isn't Nick Saban, but then again who is?

Not to mention he was replaced by Ed Orgeron... Do they really think he is a better coach?

I feel similarly about Texas A&M.. Are they really going to do any better than Sumlin?

Archived