2021 Class Rankings & Discussion

KDB

• KDB pinned this topic
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good idea.  I bet Jovan Swann plays a lot of 3 technique.  That’s what his frame would suggest.  Of the younger guys, I haven’t seen them play beyond clips, write ups, and looking at their profiles.  But Jones looks like he was born to play off the edge.  I bet he gets his weight into the 250’s and then 260’s.  But we have some younger ends like Murphy and Robbins where I agree somebody will naturally end up fitting that spot in the B gap between the guard’s shoulder and the tackle.  I’m just not sure it’s Jones.  I could see him going fast off the snap on the edge, around the tackle.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With Williams committing, we now have 6 commits in the top 1000 on 247.  Fiacable was recently bumped up and is now ranked 977.  He was unranked for quite a while after committing.

We only had 6 top 1000 recruits last year, and only 3 of them were in the top 900.  Not trying to knock that class as I think we found some sleepers.

I don't know how many we're expecting to take, but I know this is going to be a small class.  As long as we can keep 80% or more of the commits in the top 1000, that will be a really solid class no matter where we are ranked.  2 years ago we had 13 of 20 players in the top 1000 (that's 65% for you non math people!).

Indiana high school football continues to be on an upswing.  2021 is obviously a deep and talented class, but future classes are legit too.  I was reading an OSU blog and they are hot after at least four Indiana guys from 2022, a couple of highly ranked O linemen, and the big kahuna, Caden Curry, who is an absolute menace on the D line.  IU is working these guys too.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/31/2020 at 12:22 PM, Sark said:

Facilities there are top drawer and Fleck is a great salesman. I think RTB is a corny gimmick, but some have said the same about LEO. Move on and find kids who want to be at IU, but most Indiana kids don’t see IU football as a destination right now. Must change that perception for in state recruiting to improve.

You find a couple gems or develop a kid or two in a few of these key positions like DE, QB, LB kind of like we’ve had success at WR and put them on the NFL on Sunday’s or a couple kids in the first Few rounds of the draft...kids will take notice...and follow. Winning games is nice...makes fans and alumni happy...putting kids on tv on sundays brings in top recruits. If you can make it happen at impact positions then that means you have a great shot at winning while ensuring you have the eyes of the future of your program glued to you.

1 minute ago, Sark said:

Being known as a developmental program is the the holy grail for a program like IU’s. Wisconsin and Iowa have become perennial bowl teams and consistent top 25 programs this way, and Purdue and MSU had shorter runs like this. If IU can get to that, it would be great.

Well looking at the landscape of the B1G and you got to think MSU might take a step back and Iowa too...Nebraska isn’t lighting the world on fire..Indiana has an opportunity to step up a ring on the ladder the next couple years. Sure we won’t ever be a Penn st, OSU, or Michigan...but no reason we can be that next team and be the one that decides the BIG 10 East by upsetting one of those teams every year and be in the top half of the conference altogether along with Wisconsin and the aforementioned.

The 2021 class currently sits at #58 nationally and 11th in the B1G on 247sports after today's commitments from Maurice Freeman and Joshua Sales.

The current rankings of the class aren't particularly great, BUT it's a class with less commits than many of the teams ahead of it.

This class has been projected to be small in quantity from the get-go - but the quality of prospects is the highest it's ever been for Indiana in the modern recruiting era.

Since 247sports began their rankings nearly 2 decades ago, Indiana has never had a higher average rating of recruits in a class than the 2021 class as it stands.

Currently, with 13 commits, the 2021 class's average rating of recruits is 0.8628 - the next closest is the 2019 class, with a 0.8577, a class that was ranked 36th nationally.

SSH happening at Indiana with Tom Allen at the helm!

10 hours ago, KDB said:

The 2021 class currently sits at #58 nationally and 11th in the B1G on 247sports after today's commitments from Maurice Freeman and Joshua Sales.

The current rankings of the class aren't particularly great, BUT it's a class with less commits than many of the teams ahead of it.

This class has been projected to be small in quantity from the get-go - but the quality of prospects is the highest it's ever been for Indiana in the modern recruiting era.

Since 247sports began their rankings nearly 2 decades ago, Indiana has never had a higher average rating of recruits in a class than the 2021 class as it stands.

Currently, with 13 commits, the 2021 class's average rating of recruits is 0.8628 - the next closest is the 2019 class, with a 0.8577, a class that was ranked 36th nationally.

Yeah you start stacking top 40 classes on top of each other Long enough and you stay hungry your going to see things start to happen. Depth & forced to play youth that isn’t ready has always been our Achilles but if we keep bringing in these level of classes we will not see near the drop off in quality...and in practice the old saying that iron sharpens iron...might bring out even more in these kids.

10 hours ago, KDB said:

And Freeman's composite ranking is really low. He's the #91 safety in composite rankings, and the #39 on 247's ranking. I think he's going to go up a lot sometime soon.

25 minutes ago, Sark said:

I doubt he moves up at all. There’s no high school football in Virginia this Fall, so that portion of his playing days are complete. In fact, he’s already said he’s anxious to enroll early since he won’t get to play this Fall. 

Yeah, I know.

I still think Rivals will update it at some point.

• KDB changed the title to 2021 Class Rankings & Discussion
2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Yep, I saw Micah McFadden for about a game and I was all in on that kid.  And I believe he was a 2 star or a low 3 star max.  But he’s from Tampa and our staff grabbed him and played him quickly.  

I remember his first game really playing he came out of nowhere and made a tackle and I was like, "who the hell was that?" The announcers said his name and then I was really like, "who the hell was that!?" He was basically an afterthought on rankings, and I didn't remember him. Such a great find. 

Just now, Leathernecks said:

I remember his first game really playing he came out of nowhere and made a tackle and I was like, "who the hell was that?" The announcers said his name and then I was really like, "who the hell was that!?" He was basically an afterthought on rankings, and I didn't remember him. Such a great find. 

Same here!  I’m pretty sure we were talking about him immediately on here.  

• KDB unpinned this topic

Archived