2021 Class Rankings & Discussion

KDB

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

@Leathernecks

Sales, McCulley, J Smith, Williams, L Smith,  Howland, Freeman... have all said they're signing tomorrow. Anyone else announced?

I'm seeing that Holloman says he'll be signing December 16th.  Doesn't say specifically to Indiana, but going to assume.  A couple of the other guys have tweets saying how excited they are to be joining IU, but no official date announced.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know rankings isn't always a good indicator but man the big ten had done well in this signing period.  9 of the top 33 classes in the country is from the big ten. I know our numbers were low but right now according to the BTN we are 13th in the conference and 74tj in the country.  I hope this great season will have more of an impact for the 22 class

I’m not worried about the ranking.  It’s meaningless. We only had a 14 man class and one was a punter.  

We added impact talent at critical spots.  QB. receiver. DT.  Secondary.  TE.  Guys who can be high level players and are worthy of the season this team just had. 

Allen has physical features in mind, position by position and he’s not going to compromise.  The upshot is we add guys who can help us at the positions we prioritized. 

It’s not an accident that we had four first team all Big Ten defenders, with all three levels of the defense accounted for.  D line (Johnson), Lb (McFadden), Safety (Johnson) and corner (Mullen).  That doesn’t just happen.  It’s because Allen knows what he needs physically and mentally, and he can project the player to this level.  These things far, far outweigh what rankings say.  

On 12/16/2020 at 2:14 PM, IU Scott said:

I know rankings isn't always a good indicator but man the big ten had done well in this signing period.  9 of the top 33 classes in the country is from the big ten. I know our numbers were low but right now according to the BTN we are 13th in the conference and 74tj in the country.  I hope this great season will have more of an impact for the 22 class

I certainly don’t think that rankings are precise/infallible but I also don’t think they are meaningless.
Every year teams and players outperform their rankings (IU this year) and underperform their rankings (Michigan) which invariably leads to rankings are worthless comments. I think having multiple years of highly rated recruiting classes greatly increases the odds, but does not guarantee, of having a good team (coaching, culture etc obviously also play a big part).  The 2021 class is led, once again, by Alabama, OSU, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, Oregon, Texas AM etc. Those teams will have varying levels of success but I like the odds of success for those 7 teams full of 4 and 5 stars over a group of 7 teams full of 2 and 3 stars.
That being said....Our 74th ranked class is much better than the ranking. It was a disaster when we had classes in the 65-75 range under Dinardo, Hep and Lynch as we had years with large classes full of players that literally no other power 5 school wanted. We are ranked 74th this year because we have a small class (number of players is part of the team ranking calculation) but our average ranking per player ranks us 34th, consisting of  players with multiple power 5 offers, and very close to the 20-25th range. As noted by Bob we picked up a 2 star punter (which I think is very smart. Not sure why more teams don’t go after kickers) but without him our average would have been 28th-30th or so. In other words we are recruiting competitively with most of the other BT schools while in the past we had years where we trailed many Conference USA schools.

• 5 weeks later...

Already trying to run some numbers on the hope that Bennett commits.  If he does, pretty sure this will be our best average recruit ranking by quite a bit, and it is even pulled down some because one of our 13 commits is a punter.

Not counting the punter, we only have 1 recruit who isn't in the top 1000 on 247.  That's exactly how we need to build things. We can't have any more hail Mary's with the last handful of recruits in the class. We need a roster where 90% or more of the scholarship players are top 1000 guys.

Then keep getting more top 500 guys to build good depth. I think things will really change when we can get more top 250 guys. We've had a few top 250 recruits, and some guys who are close, but hopefully soon we can start landing 2 or 3 per class (we've only had 6 all time on 247)

Oh yeah, throw the 3 transfers into the mix. This is an awesome class for being so small.

With the commitment of Malachi Bennett, IU's 2021 class jumped up 9 spots to #54 nationally, and stayed at #12 in the B1G.

The commitment took Indiana's average recruit rating up to .8660 (including a punter). Going off of average recruit rating alone, and not taking class size into account, Indiana's class ranks 36th nationally, and 9th in the B1G.

Not including James Evans (punter), the class only has one commit rated lower than .8500 in the 247 composite.. Besides the 2019, 2020, and now 2021 classes, every other class in the modern recruiting era for Indiana has had an average recruit ranking lower than .8500

For this having to be a smaller class for IU, it is one hell of a class. 

Throw in the transfers, too, and man, this was a great cycle for CTA and staff.

53 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I wish I knew more about our scholarship situation. 

I feel like coaches are probably saying the same thing right now haha.

Other than Bennett, there's been almost no talk lately about recruits in the 2021 class. Usually we have a couple guys we're really pushing for, but Bennett was the only one I know of.  Makes me think after him we'll move on to transfers and the 2022 class.

10 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I just looked at recruiting rankings for the first time, and how in the world does Maryland have the 2021 class they do? 

I really don't get it. They have a 5 star and 4 four stars committed in the 2021 class.

Locksley is a snake oil salesman.  I have no doubt he feeds ridiculous lines to recruits to get them there.  Wouldn't surprise me if he's into doing things under the table too.  Look at their transfer portal.  A lot of guys he didn't recruit, but a lot of starters are transferring.  I would guess they saw right through his crap.

On 2/2/2021 at 5:25 PM, btownqb said:

Sheww... what a class.  Add in Carpenter who is a FR. We had a heck of an off season.  

I wish I knew more about our scholarship situation. 

The 22 class better get a whole lot better than 12th in the B10 coming off the 2 seasons we just had. Keep the MO going!!

9 minutes ago, Indykev said:

The 22 class better get a whole lot better than 12th in the B10 coming off the 2 seasons we just had. Keep the MO going!!

It will be interesting to see how many spots we'll have in the 2022 class. I would guess more than we had this year, but who knows with how crazy things are with the free year.

I'd love to be able to have a class of 22-24 kids where we could really boost our ranking up. Not that it means all that much, but it does help with perception. Would love for a top 30 class.

7 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

It will be interesting to see how many spots we'll have in the 2022 class. I would guess more than we had this year, but who knows with how crazy things are with the free year.

I'd love to be able to have a class of 22-24 kids where we could really boost our ranking up. Not that it means all that much, but it does help with perception. Would love for a top 30 class.

Pretty sure the reason the ranking is so low was that we had a small class.  I think the average ranking of the players had the ranking a lot higher.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Pretty sure the reason the ranking is so low was that we had a small class.  I think the average ranking of the players had the ranking a lot higher.

Yeah, our average was awesome this year. Even with a punter in the mix, it was still our best average in the 247 rankings era.

Same average with 20+ guys would have been a great ranked class for us.

• KDB unpinned this topic

Archived