• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coverdale (3)
Gordon (4)
Williams (1)
Newton (2)
Jefferies (5)

I actually started by picking Gordon as my 2.  I thought he was a guy that was actually undervalued at $4.  I then started looking at PG and was deciding between Lewis and Coverdale.  I settled on Tom because I liked his scoring punch from the position.  Lewis is probably a little better passer but Tom is where I went.  My thought was that if the ball is kicked back out from the inside that Gordon and Coverdale are going to make it really tough on defenses.

So my $5 player was between Zeller and Jefferies.  I went with Jared because I think he is a little better defender and he was much better at passing out of the post IMO.

Rounded out with Williams and Newton thinking I wanted length and athleticism.  Newton and Jefferies are 2 good rim protectors.  Williams was decent value for $1 and if you have Coverdale and Gordon spreading the floor and Jefferies drawing attention in the post, having Williams as a slasher and guy sometimes capable of hitting a 3 puts pressure on a defense.

So who you got?

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Romeo for $2 and Gordon at $4 is a steal, so I’m building around that. 

Hulls

Gordon

Romeo

Sheehey

Jeffries

I thought about Langford but decided I wanted to go with a bigger lineup and I wouldn't have enough to get him.  I think that Williams for the Freshman Romeo was a decent trade though (I evaluated them all on how they were their last year at IU).  Also, in reality, I figure that Gordon and Jefferies would be 2 ball dominant type of guys, and Romeo would be another who would expect the ball.  Plus those 2 working on the same side of the floor would be tough on a defense.  You bring Gordon's defender down to help Jefferies in the post and he would absolutely kill you with the pass out.  That kid got double and triple teamed a good deal of his career and still had the presence of mind to find the 3 Amigos out on the 3 pt line.

Zeller (5)

Langford (2)

Lewis (2)

Coverdale (3)

Morgan (3)

First, the criteria is obviously important.  I am going under the assumption that we are talking about them at the level they were when they left IU.  Would obviously be a different story if we were talking at each one of their peaks.  So my picks... seems like a pretty huge drop off at the 5 from Cody to anyone else.  Lewis is the all time assists leader and a fiery leader.  Pretty good shooter.  Coverdale is an outside threat that is a tough competitor and can handle the ball.  Langford I'm sure is an unpopular pick, but I would love to see him on a team with solid leadership, no drama, and unselfish teammates.  Morgan brings an unselfish scorer at the 4 that can also shoot.  This is a smart group with toughness, leadership, and diversity.  Maybe not so good defensively.   

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I thought about Langford but decided I wanted to go with a bigger lineup and I wouldn't have enough to get him.  I think that Williams for the Freshman Romeo was a decent trade though (I evaluated them all on how they were their last year at IU).  Also, in reality, I figure that Gordon and Jefferies would be 2 ball dominant type of guys, and Romeo would be another who would expect the ball.  Plus those 2 working on the same side of the floor would be tough on a defense.  You bring Gordon's defender down to help Jefferies in the post and he would absolutely kill you with the pass out.  That kid got double and triple teamed a good deal of his career and still had the presence of mind to find the 3 Amigos out on the 3 pt line.

My defense is a little weak and that’s why I put Sheehey in there. And they may struggle with rebounds. I don’t think Jeffries would have to be ball dominant; he was never ball dominant as a pro. And I think Romeo would be deadly if he’s not the focal point of the defense. I think this offensive line up with Gordon and Hulls as outside threats would give defenses nightmares and is perfect for the ‘modern game’. 

Fun to think about though. Thanks for posting.

image.png.1cfd670bd1f1b2bb197cba6fd9c92210.png

Langford and OG for $2! Injuries impacted both guys, so injury free they're worth way more than that.

Out of the PG options, I'll go with Coverdale over Yogi/Guyton due to the $2 savings and the fact he was instrumental in getting IU to its last title game.

To round out the roster, I'll take the versatility of Jeffries as my point-foward and Jackson-Davis to clean up the glass and be a great post threat.

This is a great defensive roster with serious offensive potential.

37 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

My defense is a little weak and that’s why I put Sheehey in there. And they may struggle with rebounds. I don’t think Jeffries would have to be ball dominant; he was never ball dominant as a pro. And I think Romeo would be deadly if he’s not the focal point of the defense. I think this offensive line up with Gordon and Hulls as outside threats would give defenses nightmares and is perfect for the ‘modern game’. 

Fun to think about though. Thanks for posting.

I figured Jefferies as "ball dominant" because I was kind of thinking the type of offense that I would want to see run with that group, I would want the ball going into him and then having him react based on what the defense gives him.  If they collapse on him, I want him to try and find an open Tom or Eric or have him looking to hit Williams slashing to the rim.  I want Newton to be the glass cleaner.

On defense I would want heavy ball pressure on the perimeter with Jefferies and Newton taking care of protecting the rim.

24 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Marco for $1 is a steal.  He was better than DJ the one season he was here.

Marco had a good year in his year at IU, but DJ's senior year he had better overall stats than Marco, was a consensus 2nd team All-American and the B10 POY...

1 hour ago, rico said:

I take 3-$4 guys

Haston($4)

White($4)

Gordon($4)

Then throw in Anunoby($2) and fill it out with Wilmont($1)

Rebounding, shooting, and defense.

That's darn near As Good As It Gets. I swap out hasten with Oladipo keep Wilmont, and taking inconsistent Killingsworth for a buck.  You got arguably three of the best players two of them were only four bucks a piece.

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Saw this on the other forum and thought it might be more interesting here.  Show your work (why'd you pick who you did.)

EUx_k3tWkAYY8mi.jpeg

PG - Yogi 

SG - Guyton

SF - Wilmont

PF - O.G.

C - Newton

with an extended 2-3 zone;  spread the floor motion offence, drive and kick/inside outside

53 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Another question to think about is: who is coaching them?

What does an 'all Archie' team look like?

Coverdale
Vic
Jeffries
Sheehey
Wilmot

....That looks about right, not much shooting. haha. 

Lol...well, I honestly thought that my team would work with any of the coaches we have had over that timeframe.

Marco for a dollar is definitely the steal of the board - have to start there.

Then, given that I now have some money to play with, I am going for the best point guard there in Yogi.

Gordon at 4 is probably the second best deal, so I'll take him.

Now, my backcourt is set and I have a lot of scoring pop at the guard positions, so there's a lot of flexibility with my last 5 dollars. I think I am going to go big and athletic and take TJD and Anunoby. 

That's a lot of athleticism to play some pressure D, a lot of talent to deal with in the paint and two great shooters/scorers on the perimeter to cover for what OG lacks in that department. 

To be fair, I wasn't an IU fan until 2004, so I am not as familiar with a few of the older guys.

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Another question to think about is: who is coaching them?

What does an 'all Archie' team look like?

Coverdale
Vic
Jeffries
Sheehey
Wilmot

....That looks about right, not much shooting. haha. 

Wilmont was a 35.5% 3 pt shooter for his career (39.5% as a senior), Coverdale was 36% career, Oladipo was 33.8% career but 44.1% his last year....there was some decent shooting there.

Archived