You have $15, assemble your starting 5

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this. Someone put together a 90s, 80s, and 70s team.

My pick

C-Hastons($4)

PF-Newton($2)

F-Romeo($2)

G-Gordon($4)

PG-Coverdale($3)

I wanted a team that could shoot 3s and score in different ways. First off Newton is a steal for $2!! He just ate up the glass and was a beast at blocking shots. Where Hastons might need some help Newton could easily come over from the week side. Hastons I just love his game for a big. He had the hook...and he could shoot from deep. Stretch the floor to the 3pt line as 37% 3pt shooter his senior year on over 2 attempts per game. The back court is self explanatory with Gordon and Coverdale. Both could kill you from deep and Gordon could get to the basket too. Coverdale another super underrated player. I think he had like over 200 3s  in his career...top 5 in assist maybe and steals. Tough as nails! With the team of shooters I had trouble thinking if I wanted a defender like Anunoby or Romeo and I went with Romeo. I really think with a spread floor and better help around him Romeo could get to the basket and have plenty of room to operate. So that is my team...but man hard to say anyone is wrong with how they built there’s.

Love this by the way.

Gordon ($4)

Haston ($4)

TJD ($3)

Lewis ($2)

Anunoby ($2)

I wanted to start my team with Yogi, and simply could not make it work.  None of the $1 guys had appeal to me at all, and I simply could not make a team with a $5 guy without having a $1 guy as well.  That knocked Vic out of the equation as well.

Gordon is the best bargain on the board.  Romeo is a good price as well, but even with the extra $2, I like Gordon.  

Without Yogi, that left Lewis or Coverdale as my options at point.   I decided to save the dollar and go with Mike.  

Haston gives me someone who can stretch the floor, while TJD helps bolster the interior defense and allows Kirk to go outside on offense.

That left me $2, and OG fills a nice role with a decent 3 point shot and a defender who can guard multiple positions.

52 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I love this. Someone put together a 90s, 80s, and 70s team.

My pick

C-Hastons($4)

PF-Newton($2)

F-Romeo($2)

G-Gordon($4)

PG-Coverdale($3)

I wanted a team that could shoot 3s and score in different ways. First off Newton is a steal for $2!! He just ate up the glass and was a beast at blocking shots. Where Hastons might need some help Newton could easily come over from the week side. Hastons I just love his game for a big. He had the hook...and he could shoot from deep. Stretch the floor to the 3pt line as 37% 3pt shooter his senior year on over 2 attempts per game. The back court is self explanatory with Gordon and Coverdale. Both could kill you from deep and Gordon could get to the basket too. Coverdale another super underrated player. I think he had like over 200 3s  in his career...top 5 in assist maybe and steals. Tough as nails! With the team of shooters I had trouble thinking if I wanted a defender like Anunoby or Romeo and I went with Romeo. I really think with a spread floor and better help around him Romeo could get to the basket and have plenty of room to operate. So that is my team...but man hard to say anyone is wrong with how they built there’s.

I still think Marco along with JJ or Cody is better.

13 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I still think Marco along with JJ or Cody is better.

I think Hastons and Newton were very underrated. I look at their career number and then what they were when they got to be seniors...all-b1g players and leaders. Hastons had a sweet soft jumper along with that hook shot in the post. Marco had some ups and downs. His highs were some of the best big man play we saw but he could be hit or miss too. Cody was great but again couldn’t stretch the floor. I tried to look at the synergy my lineup would bring. The way they would fit alongside each other. I think Newton and Hastons could complement each other on the court and most importantly complement the games of my guards. Coverdale I think would really play well off Gordon’s offense and both also along with Hastons stretch the floor for driving lanes for Romeo. I really tried to think of how this team would play together even if it wasn’t the 5 best players. I really wanted to open up the floor and try to find the best combo of shooting, driving, rebounding, and yes enough defense. But again. Hard to go wrong with any combo. Sad thing looking at these guys you realize that the level of player we’ve had with a couple exceptions over the years is down..and that you need a combination of multiple of these level players to really make a contender.

I spent way too much time on this. I took a very statistical approach (trying to more or less ignore the names and the "feelings" I have about each player).  I used the individuals stats from their final year at IU.  As some mentioned, that might not be the best year for every player, but was for vast majority.  I have to say that gave me some surprises that challenged my preconceived notions.  (Like Fife having 2nd highest 3pt percent.) 

I started by identifying the best player (statistic based, but still subjective) for each position, and then my 2nd choice at a lower price point.  Taking all of my 2nd choices as the starting point left me with some salary cap room to choose upgrades, and results were as follows:

PG - Ferrell ($5)  (Hulls was my 2nd choice)

SG - Blackmon ($1)

SF - Williams ($1)

PF - Jackson-Davis ($3)

C - Zeller ($5)  (This was a tough call between him and Haston.  My first decision was Haston, and last change)

Team statistics, per 40 minutes: 

103.4 points, 42 total rebounds (!), 57% eFG, 24.8 free throws (74% of 33 attempts), 6.2 steals + 5.4 blocks, 122.4 O-Rtg, 98.9 D-Rtg

This team wouldn't be super strong on defense, but the rebounds+steals+blocks plus offensive firepower would be enough to beat almost anyone!

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I think Hastons and Newton were very underrated. I look at their career number and then what they were when they got to be seniors...all-b1g players and leaders. Hastons had a sweet soft jumper along with that hook shot in the post. Marco had some ups and downs. His highs were some of the best big man play we saw but he could be hit or miss too. Cody was great but again couldn’t stretch the floor. I tried to look at the synergy my lineup would bring. The way they would fit alongside each other. I think Newton and Hastons could complement each other on the court and most importantly complement the games of my guards. Coverdale I think would really play well off Gordon’s offense and both also along with Hastons stretch the floor for driving lanes for Romeo. I really tried to think of how this team would play together even if it wasn’t the 5 best players. I really wanted to open up the floor and try to find the best combo of shooting, driving, rebounding, and yes enough defense. But again. Hard to go wrong with any combo. Sad thing looking at these guys you realize that the level of player we’ve had with a couple exceptions over the years is down..and that you need a combination of multiple of these level players to really make a contender.

I just think as physical as the B1G is that you need a bruiser down low.  There's a reason Odle started over Newt.

14 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I just think as physical as the B1G is that you need a bruiser down low.  There's a reason Odle started over Newt.

I’m playing Newton at the 4...not the 5. He started every game I can remember his senior season and that’s the Newton I have on my team correct?? I think Jeff proved he was plenty big enough to defend in the B1G....after all he is one of the programs leaders in blocked shots. Haston while not a bruiser would certainly hold his own. Hard to say a guy that played the 4 for us at a pretty elite level his senior year couldn’t do it...I mean he proved that. 

Besides he is like a 6 time Japanese Association champion....guy has plenty of heart!

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m playing Newton at the 4...not the 5. He started every game I can remember his senior season and that’s the Newton I have on my team correct?? I think Jeff proved he was plenty big enough to defend in the B1G....after all he is one of the programs leaders in blocked shots. Haston while not a bruiser would certainly hold his own. Hard to say a guy that played the 4 for us at a pretty elite level his senior year couldn’t do it...I mean he proved that. 

Besides he is like a 6 time Japanese Association champion....guy has plenty of heart!

Wrong.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I looked up stats on Newton and it was showing he was a 14.9 pt and 8 rebound guy a game his senior year.   

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Haston

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

A junior my bad.  I'm shocked he started as a senior.  We had Leach and he had to beat out Pegram, Kline, and Roberts.

Yeah. Even then he was dynamite at blocking shots and hitting the boards. Very active player. I mean avg 8/5/2 blocks. Not saying he was better than your IU guys...of course I’d love to have Cody and company but that wasn’t how this game was played. Just saying with the lineup I think he would fit very very well next to Haston who could stretch the floor along with Coverdale who was a bulldog and like top 5 in so many categories all time as a Hoosier. I mean he probably quietly put together one of the all time great careers here. Then two super frosh. Both could get to the basket and one also that could shoot from deep. I just think my team could really excel in this current era of shooting 3s and getting to the rim. Nice complement. I have no idea like anyone else but their games compliment each other...not fighting for same position on the court etc etc. love your team too...definitely would be hard to stop inside!

3 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I looked up stats on Newton and it was showing he was a 14.9 pt and 8 rebound guy a game his senior year.   

Don’t forget he avg 2 blocks a game he basicallt for his career. He was really good coming over in help defense. Sure he isn’t a 5 on this list...but as a $2 guy...that’s a lot of value!

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Any way you slice it you can put together a B1G champion. I’m ready for the 90s, 80s, and 70s versions!

I saw a 90s one on FB. Unsurprisingly, the players from the early 90s were mostly $4 and $5 players while the late 90s players were less expensive.

22 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

92230616_10156715437722016_6313406620072148992_o.jpg

Cheaney (5)

G. Graham (4)

Patterson (3)

Haston (2)

Reynolds (1)

May be a little short on the interior but quite a bit of scoring punch matched with some defense on that squad.  

Bob Knight coaching and running the motion offense.  I would put that team up against about anyone.

You can get some good combos out of these groups. 

Cheaney (5)

Henderson (5)

Haston (2)

Reed (2)

Reynolds (1)

Haston only being $2 really helps, he is a steal at that price.

45 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

92230616_10156715437722016_6313406620072148992_o.jpg

Oh man so many of my favorite players!! :( I want them all. Ok...my try...again I’m looking for a team that would compliment each other work together. Really no dominant center...we played a bunch of 4s at the 5 honestly...but here is my go at this.

C-Haston($2) 

PF-Evans($4)

SF-Chaney($5)

SG-P.Graham($3)

PG-Meeks($1)

Again I want spacing and shooting galore. Haston I already explained his game so that is my center. Sure we aren’t big but Evans played so much tougher than just his size and could abuse bigger 4s running off screens and bombing 3s from the corners. Calbert self explainatory...all time leading scorer and all...plus he was a willing defender. Graham...well a healthy Graham...my goodness over 50% 3pt shooter...sure his defense would suffer but at 6’5 he could switch with Calbert on defense if we needed to hide him. Then...I want the best defender/distributor of the rest...Meeks was very very solid and a bulldog at the point. Also...he actually could knock down a 3 to keep the defense true if he had to. Sure it was limited attempts but he was a career 40% 3pt shooter. So not a total liability at all with the ball in his hand. Would loved to have some other favorites but had to settle for what I could afford. Can’t wait to see others put together!

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Michael Lewis

Eric Gordon

Victor Oladipo

Romeo Langford

Jeff Newton

Obviously a small lineup, but i'm going to press and run non-stop. 

I think Romeo and Gordon get in each others way,  They have very similar games.  

Archived