Purdue losing a Big

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Who knows if/when Painter would’ve been dismissed had he been at IU with the record he has. No one knows that. 

As far as his comment, I actually did respond but then deleted it as I didn’t want it to turn into a pissing match. I don't trash this site on GBI. No idea where he got that from. 

Your first statement is laughable...I'm pretty sure 16-18 and 15-17 in years 8 and 9 followed by 2 first round NCAA exits (if he'd gotten even that far) would have been the death knell...

IU fired a coach that posted a record that rivaled that 4 years ago...Even after that coach had rebuilt the program from the ground up and won 2 B10 championships in his last 5 years...

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Who knows if/when Painter would’ve been dismissed had he been at IU with the record he has. No one knows that. 

As far as his comment, I actually did respond but then deleted it as I didn’t want it to turn into a pissing match. I don't trash this site on GBI. No idea where he got that from. 

I’ve seen it first hand as have others on this board. It goes back to when we were on our losing streak with Romeo if that helps spark your memory. That’s not the only time though 

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

I’ve seen it first hand as have others on this board. It goes back to when we were on our losing streak with Romeo if that helps spark your memory. That’s not the only time though 

Oh you mean when people thought a username over there was similar to mine here? That wasn’t me. @btownqb can attest to it. I didn’t say bad stuff about Romeo. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Oh you mean when people thought a username over there was similar to mine here? That wasn’t me. @btownqb can attest to it. I didn’t say bad stuff about Romeo. 

Not what I’m talking about and it was bad stuff about this board in particular not Romeo.  Like I said it wasn’t your only time.

40 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I have lot of respect for Boiler23.  Several months ago, I incorrectly attributed negative posts made by a very similar name to him.  It was an easy mistake to make, but it was still my mistake.  He did not make those posts, or ever anything remotely like them.

Our Boiler23 could have shredded me.  He didn't.  I apologized, and he was Hey, it happens, we're good, let's get back to talking basketball.  As classy as it gets.  No crying victim.

I appreciate how he walks the line here, being such an easy target.

17 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

I have lot of respect for Boiler23.  Several months ago, I incorrectly attributed negative posts made by a very similar name to him.  It was an easy mistake to make, but it was still my mistake.  He did not make those posts, or ever anything remotely like them.

Our Boiler23 could have shredded me.  He didn't.  I apologized, and he was Hey, it happens, we're good, let's get back to talking basketball.  As classy as it gets.  No crying victim.

I appreciate how he walks the line here, being such an easy target.

I can't speak to GBI.  As I have said... I don't go there.  However your assessment of Boiler on HSN is spot on.  Even when he has been attacked in the past... he always has been civil in his responses.  And that's why. For me.  He will always be welcome at Hoosier Sports Nation.

Ok...let me say....we have worse “IU” fans over here with their trolling hot takes then Boiler and his Purdue takes. I may disagree with him a lot of the time on his accessment of some of their players and teams (more football then basketball though) but he has been about as good an opposing fan can be. If we couldn’t make room for a fan like him then there wouldn’t be room for any opposing fans. 

Back to the real subject....honestly this is a big loss for Purdue. What does the front court look like for next year without “Hair”. Williams is a stud but where does the energy and defense come from behind him. Furst is still a year away.

Boiler has been on our board for many years through several iterations. Like anyone he’s had good days and bad days, but I’ll say in my book as a mod here he’s been pretty cool. He doesn’t mock us / IU when we’re down, at least from what I’ve seen over the years, and he rarely takes the bait when people push his buttons on PU, which, well, takes some class. 

Boiler’s ok in my book 

On 4/9/2020 at 7:25 PM, dgambill said:

Ok...let me say....we have worse “IU” fans over here with their trolling hot takes then Boiler and his Purdue takes. I may disagree with him a lot of the time on his accessment of some of their players and teams (more football then basketball though) but he has been about as good an opposing fan can be. If we couldn’t make room for a fan like him then there wouldn’t be room for any opposing fans. 

Back to the real subject....honestly this is a big loss for Purdue. What does the front court look like for next year without “Hair”. Williams is a stud but where does the energy and defense come from behind him. Furst is still a year away.

Yeah it’s a very valid question. Williams is THE guy going forward but we still need back-up minutes there. Dowuona I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he transfers. Don’t think he’ll amount to much unfortunately. I really like Edey and his potential but he’s super young for his grade (should really be a junior right now) and will likely need a redshirt year. My hope is we get a grad transfer big but easier said than done. If not, we’ll probably go with a small ball lineup and have someone like Wheeler man the 5 for a few minutes. But Haarms didn’t do us any favors in terms of the timing of his decision. 

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Purdue grad transfer Matt Haarms tells me he has cut his list to the following programs: Arizona Arkansas Boston College BYU Gonzaga Kentucky Memphis Minnesota Texas Tech UNCG Immediately eligible.

Not trashing you 6, but do we REALLY believe "Hair" has offers from all of these schools, or is it is wish list? I think he only left out a couple of schools in the entire nation  🤣

49 minutes ago, DWB said:

Not trashing you 6, but do we REALLY believe "Hair" has offers from all of these schools, or is it is wish list? I think he only left out a couple of schools in the entire nation  🤣

This is what I think Rothstein tweeted out this morning. Was just cut/paste. I think there is plenty of talk with UK though.

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is what I think Rothstein tweeted out this morning. Was just cut/paste. I think there is plenty of talk with UK though.

If he wasn't satisfied with the minutes he was getting at Purdue, what has him believing he'll get a lot of floor time at Kentucky?

As far as type of play goes, I still think Gonzaga is the best fit, but I'm not sure he'd get big minutes there either...

Some strange names on that list...UCNG? BYU?

Get coached up at Memphis or Minnesota?

Well, good luck to him... 

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If he wasn't satisfied with the minutes he was getting at Purdue, what has him believing he'll get a lot of floor time at Kentucky?

As far as type of play goes, I still think Gonzaga is the best fit, but I'm not sure he'd get big minutes there either...

Purely guessing on what he’s really looking for and haven’t looked at rosters, but if I were him I’d be honing in on Arkansas, BYU, and Texas Tech. At those schools you still get decent exposure if the team is good, and probably a good opportunity to play. 

I wouldn't sleep on UK.  All I heard this past year is how the 'Cats got dominated in the paint by teams that had legit bigs.

Yep. Judging by the timing and ultimately what others have said (Painter was blindsided)....I still don't think this was thought out real well. Must have been really pissed as the season went on because Haarms did zero favors to Purdue when he announced. I usually am puzzled when kids announce to leave early for pros....not when they transfer after playing/starting for 3 years on a P5 team who has had some recent success. Just seems really bizarre. Would be like if IU plays really well next year, advances in tourney....and Rob Phinisee decides to bounce after 3 years. Strange times indeed.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Purely guessing on what he’s really looking for and haven’t looked at rosters, but if I were him I’d be honing in on Arkansas, BYU, and Texas Tech. At those schools you still get decent exposure if the team is good, and probably a good opportunity to play. 

Texas Tech and Arkansas were the two I think that would maybe fit what he's looking for...

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I wouldn't sleep on UK.  All I heard this past year is how the 'Cats got dominated in the paint by teams that had legit bigs.

Oh, I don't put anything past the used car salesman in Lexington...

Maybe "Haarms"  means "ketchup"  in Dutch...😁

Texas Tech and Arkansas were the two I think that would maybe fit what he's looking for...

Oh, I don't put anything past the used car salesman in Lexington...

Maybe "Haarms"  means "ketchup"  in Dutch...😁

Agree on Tech and Arkansas, both coaches have had a lot of success winning with transfers. I always find the Arizona thing weird. I get the top West Coast guys going there, but outside of getting paid, which guys can get elsewhere too, I’ll never understand how they land so many east coast guys. They’ve historically gotten a ton of Philly guys. Who on the East Coast stays up til 2am watching the PAC-10 on ESPN 2? 

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree on Tech and Arkansas, both coaches have had a lot of success winning with transfers. I always find the Arizona thing weird. I get the top West Coast guys going there, but outside of getting paid, which guys can get elsewhere too, I’ll never understand how they land so many east coast guys. They’ve historically gotten a ton of Philly guys. Who on the East Coast stays up til 2am watching the PAC-10 on ESPN 2? 

Well isn’t Miller an east coast guy? Sure he has tons of connections and playing out west isn’t all bad...sure the campus has some nice scenery too!

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Well isn’t Miller an east coast guy? Sure he has tons of connections and playing out west isn’t all bad...sure the campus has some nice scenery too!

He’s from Western PA. As someone that has spent most of their life living in PA, I can tell you Western PA and Eastern PA are like two completely different places. Western PA is basically West Virginia north. If you went to Western PA and then Eastern PA, you’d think you were in two completely different parts of the country. 

Archived