Purdue losing a Big

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He’s from Western PA. As someone that has spent most of their life living in PA, I can tell you Western PA and Eastern PA are like two completely different places. Western PA is basically West Virginia north. If you went to Western PA and then Eastern PA, you’d think you were in two completely different parts of the country. 

I get that but it isn’t like he wouldn’t have made inroads in his years at Pittsburgh as a player and an assistant as well at Xavier probably as well. Just meaning he is an east coast guy at core.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I get that but it isn’t like he wouldn’t have made inroads in his years at Pittsburgh as a player and an assistant as well at Xavier probably as well. Just meaning he is an east coast guy at core.

I hear what you’re saying as well. He’d certainly recruit the East Coast while at Xavier, but I’d imagine he would have been more successful in Pittsburgh than Philly. To Eastern PA people, Pittsburgh/Western PA is more thought of as Midwest, or Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, that it is East Coast. 

But even moreso, I wasn’t really referencing Sean Miller, more Arizona in general. Lure Olson was landing East Coast/Philly guys back in the day. Outside of getting paid, it’s just a weird thing to me. 

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

I hear what you’re saying as well. He’d certainly recruit the East Coast while at Xavier, but I’d imagine he would have been more successful in Pittsburgh than Philly. To Eastern PA people, Pittsburgh/Western PA is more thought of as Midwest, or Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, that it is East Coast. 

But even moreso, I wasn’t really referencing Sean Miller, more Arizona in general. Lure Olson was landing East Coast/Philly guys back in the day. Outside of getting paid, it’s just a weird thing to me. 

Maybe that’s part of it too. Just like we had success with kids from certain schools these kids grow up seeing their idols go to Arizona. However it got started point is there is a pipeline now. I’m just assuming from his playing days at Pittsburg and coaching days there as well he had to recruit the whole state and made in roads with coaches too. That said I would never try to tell someone from the state the differences. I’m sure it’s as big as Northern Indiana to the south for us. Just letting some who may not know he does have a big connection to the state growing up there  and playing HS and college and spending a good part of his coaching career there too. Thanks for the info!!

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

If he wasn't satisfied with the minutes he was getting at Purdue, what has him believing he'll get a lot of floor time at Kentucky?

As far as type of play goes, I still think Gonzaga is the best fit, but I'm not sure he'd get big minutes there either...

Some strange names on that list...UCNG? BYU?

Get coached up at Memphis or Minnesota?

Well, good luck to him... 

That was exactly what I thought when I read those two schools.  Not sure what his goals are for his last year before attempting to play for money, but I don't see either of those schools meeting any development goals.

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I live in AZ so it's not weird to me. 70 degree winters and 350 days of sunshine per year. I would've gone to U of A if I could've afforded the out of state tuition. Since these players don't have to worry about that it totally makes sense to me.

21 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I live in AZ so it's not weird to me. 70 degree winters and 350 days of sunshine per year. I would've gone to U of A if I couldn't afforded the out of state tuition. Since these players don't have to worry about that it totally makes sense to me.

If Florida Gulf Coast recruited me, for anything, I would have had to think long and hard before I turned them down and I'm not kidding lol

My father probably would have disowned me. 

43 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If Florida Gulf Coast recruited me, for anything, I would have had to think long and hard before I turned them down and I'm not kidding lol

Amen. A baseball player told me that he walked out the front door to a 5 star spa quality swimming pool and out the back to the beach. Not bad. Of course the scenery well you can imagine 

30 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Same. I was headed to IU no matter what....but I visited University of Miami as a kid several times. Wouldn't take much for me to say yes to that place. Same goes for Arizona or FGC too. 

4 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

None taken haha. I mean that was going to be the case at Purdue. If I’m him, I’m going somewhere where I can start and play 30 minutes a game. 

LOL, because Purdue is so loaded right now they'd struggle to find minutes for a 7'3" senior center...GMAFB. 

54 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I live in Estero. Suburb south of Ft Myers where FGCU is. Absolutely beautiful down here. Not really spent time on the campus but man...life off the court is as laid back and beautiful as you can get.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I live in Estero. Suburb south of Ft Myers where FGCU is. Absolutely beautiful down here. Not really spent time on the campus but man...life off the court is as laid back and beautiful as you can get.

Wow. Small world. Looked at some property in Estero in 2007...absolutely gorgeous. Decided to go smaller/cheaper and further south towards Naples.....kind of lucked out because it was right before the bubble.....but Estero is great!

50 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

LOL, because Purdue is so loaded right now they'd struggle to find minutes for a 7'3" senior center...GMAFB. 

He had already lost his starting job to Williams and was unhappy with his playing time at the end of the year. He wants to go somewhere where he can play more minutes. He would’ve obviously still gotten minutes for us just not as many as he wanted. He wasn’t even playing 20 minutes a game the last half of the season. 

40 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wow. Small world. Looked at some property in Estero in 2007...absolutely gorgeous. Decided to go smaller/cheaper and further south towards Naples.....kind of lucked out because it was right before the bubble.....but Estero is great!

Well I work in Naples and my wife in south fort Myers. Her parents live in Bonita Springs. Perfect compromise and the schools are the best there. The only downside is the shopping there will put a man in the poor house lol!

Weve been coming down here for the last 8-10 years and visiting her parents and the whole area has just exploded...you wouldn’t believe from 2007 if you haven’t been here lately.

16 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

He had already lost his starting job to Williams and was unhappy with his playing time at the end of the year. He wants to go somewhere where he can play more minutes. He would’ve obviously still gotten minutes for us just not as many as he wanted. He wasn’t even playing 20 minutes a game the last half of the season. 

Why else do you think he’d transfer?

Maybe he wanted to go out with another run at the tournament! Sorry couldn’t help it lol! The kid is 7’3 he will play professional ball somewhere in the world regardless. That said maybe playing a reserve role on a team that can make a run at a championship is better than a role on a middling B1G team.

21 hours ago, dgambill said:

Got my Master's in leadership at FGCU.  Go Eagles!!

21 hours ago, dgambill said:

Maybe he wanted to go out with another run at the tournament! Sorry couldn’t help it lol! The kid is 7’3 he will play professional ball somewhere in the world regardless. That said maybe playing a reserve role on a team that can make a run at a championship is better than a role on a middling B1G team.

I mean only a handful of teams on his top 10 list are better programs than Purdue right now. If he really wants to showcase his abilities, he’d go someplace where he can play 30 minutes a night and be THE guy. 

17 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean only a handful of teams on his top 10 list are better programs than Purdue right now. If he really wants to showcase his abilities, he’d go someplace where he can play 30 minutes a night and be THE guy. 

Dayton !

41 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

No program is going to make him “The Guy”. Will he start or play a role...yes but I don’t think he needs more playing time...bigs don’t typically play 30 mins a night anyways. You want them fresh to run the floor etc..otherwise they get tired, lazy in position, and foul. Me thinks this is just a change of scenery.

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Purdue----------------------------------------------------------Fort Wayne?

4 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

A handful is half his list. 😂😂😂

Archived