Purdue losing a Big

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Sorry...didn’t get the memo. Noted.

I like a good joke as much as anyone especially at a rivals expense. I have much more animosity toward Kentucky since I lived there..but I honestly have never taken pleasure in tearing down Purdue because they represent the state of Indiana and it’s history of basketball which I think our states love for the game is second to none. Sure I hope we spank them every time we play and I want to finish ahead of them in the standings. Guess I look at basketball in our state a little differently. I just thought we were taking a good conversation and going a little below the belt. I mean we have plenty of threads dedicated to our hate for Purdue. Ok...off my soap box...who am I to tell people how I feel. I get it...I just didn’t want to see the thread take that turn. 

Growing up in east central Indiana in the 70's I grew up hating Purdue and they will always be our rival.  We are in the same state and same conference and we go against them for the best players in Indiana.  They hate us and we hate them so as log as it doesn't go over the line I don't see anything wrong with a little ribbing of PU.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Growing up in east central Indiana in the 70's I grew up hating Purdue and they will always be our rival.  We are in the same state and same conference and we go against them for the best players in Indiana.  They hate us and we hate them so as log as it doesn't go over the line I don't see anything wrong with a little ribbing of PU.

Never forget, nor forgive :

The Paint Crew's renowned "IU sucks" chant 

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Sorry...didn’t get the memo. Noted.

I like a good joke as much as anyone especially at a rivals expense. I have much more animosity toward Kentucky since I lived there..but I honestly have never taken pleasure in tearing down Purdue because they represent the state of Indiana and it’s history of basketball which I think our states love for the game is second to none. Sure I hope we spank them every time we play and I want to finish ahead of them in the standings. Guess I look at basketball in our state a little differently. I just thought we were taking a good conversation and going a little below the belt. I mean we have plenty of threads dedicated to our hate for Purdue. Ok...off my soap box...who am I to tell people how I feel. I get it...I just didn’t want to see the thread take that turn. 

(quoting you but directing this to all the members defending Cow College here...)

What the heck is with the Turdue love-fest?!!  Seriously...have you all seen the snide remarks on GBI?  Dusty banners, trailer park fans?  Little Arch?  The condescension over there makes me vomit at times.  With apologies to our resident Toiletmaker, that forum, as bad as it is, represents a significant part of their cow-tipping fanbase, so yeah...I have zero problem with seeing a little smack in this forum and I have no problem laughing at their failures.

I hope for @hoosiertildeath's sake his internet is down and he doesn't stroke out reading all this Toiletmaker love.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

(quoting you but directing this to all the members defending Cow College here...)

What the heck is with the Turdue love-fest?!!  Seriously...have you all seen the snide remarks on GBI?  Dusty banners, trailer park fans?  Little Arch?  The condescension over there makes me vomit at times.  With apologies to our resident Toiletmaker, that forum, as bad as it is, represents a significant part of their cow-tipping fanbase, so yeah...I have zero problem with seeing a little smack in this forum and I have no problem laughing at their failures.

I hope for @hoosiertildeath's sake his internet is down and he doesn't stroke out reading all this Toiletmaker love.

And our resident as been known to trash us on that site as well.  That’s why I have no love for the guy.  And when I say trash is I don’t mean Indiana fans, I mean Hoosiersports Nation in general. I’m not the only one on here that’s seen this.

23 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

And our resident as been known to trash us on that site as well.  That’s why I have no love for the guy.  And when I say trash is I don’t mean Indiana fans, I mean Hoosiersports Nation in general. I’m not the only one on here that’s seen this.

Yep. I'm always open to conversation but when I see people run elsewhere and talk out of both sides....I'll never back down on the disdain for Purdue, Porky, and their fans and I'll repeat. 5 of 8 years. No tourney wins for 5 of 8 seasons after 7 years being on the job. Painter would have been run after 2 years if he coached in the 812....shoot Crean brought us 2 Big 10 titles. Couple S16's and several kids to the pros and he still was told to hit the bricks. 

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. I'm always open to conversation but when I see people run elsewhere and talk out of both sides....I'll never back down on the disdain for Purdue, Porky, and their fans and I'll repeat. 5 of 8 years. No tourney wins for 5 of 8 seasons after 7 years being on the job. Painter would have been run after 2 years if he coached in the 812....shoot Crean brought us 2 Big 10 titles. Couple S16's and several kids to the pros and he still was told to hit the bricks. 

Crean also missed the tournament in 5 of 9 years. Granted his first year or two weren’t his fault but still. Crean was too inconsistent both in record and in recruiting. Painter has only missed 3 tournaments in 15 years. 

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

No worries...never been there. I guess I expect better from us...especially on this board but like I said. I spent over a decade in Kentucky and I can’t stand their fans. If Purdue fans acted the same way around me where you guys are I’d probably feel the same. No worries...it’s an IU fan board...just hate to see every thread that mentions Purdue go south...because this one actually has good analysis and info in it as opposed to Turdue lost let’s celebrate threads...which I do laugh at so it’s all good!

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Crean also missed the tournament in 5 of 9 years. Granted his first year or two weren’t his fault but still. Crean was too inconsistent both in record and in recruiting. Painter has only missed 3 tournaments in 15 years. 

If Crean was left here he would have missed it 4 years in a row...it was headed decidedly south. To defend Painter...let’s be real....he does not have nearly the recruiting platform as coach’s at IU have....nor facilities. He is a good coach. Look how he doubled Trayce and the post this year and took away what we were doing best. He is smart. When he has talent he does a good job....that said I don’t think he will ever get Purdue to a championship. I think 2018 was the perfect storm of hot shooting/team...but it was quite a scare for us IU fans lol. Ok done being nice...don’t want to get banned lol. As for next year...it’s going to be another struggle for you guys. He has work to do.

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yep. And Painter has 4 missed tourneys ( noticed you didn't count this year), 4 2nd round exits, and 2 1st round exits after finishing 3rd in league play both of those seasons. 10 seasons of what I just wouldn't want to call success. Again...everyone has their own internal measurements. 10 seasons of not seeing the 2nd weekend? Shoot John Groce has a higher percentage. So does Bubbles. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. And Painter has 4 missed tourneys ( noticed you didn't count this year), 4 2nd round exits, and 2 1st round exits after finishing 3rd in league play both of those seasons. 10 seasons of what I just wouldn't want to call success. Again...everyone has their own internal measurements. 10 seasons of not seeing the 2nd weekend? Shoot John Groce has a higher percentage. So does Bubbles. 

Yes.  PU was what ?  16-15 before the season was abruptly ended. Only thing that would have gotten PU into the Dance would have been winning the BTT.  Highly doubtful. While the general consensus from most everyone was that IU was well on their way to dancing.  Truly feel sad for De'Ron for not having that opportunity.

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yes.  PU was what ?  16-15 before the season was abruptly ended. Only thing that would have gotten PU into the Dance would have been winning the BTT.  Highly doubtful. While the general consensus from most everyone was that IU was well on their way to dancing.  Truly feel sad for De'Ron for not having that opportunity.

Agree all day on all. Not trying to be a bad poster.....but just saying the numbers. 10 seasons never a second weekend. People can call it what they want but that's mediocrity at best. 

5 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Now if IU could beat those guys in BBall....

Yep. I think it's 17-19 for us (not sure if I should include you in the us category) since turn of the century. Certainly a rivalry that isn't one. Teams go on runs. I think Mike Davis was 8-2 vs Keady/Painter? On paper today....I sense another run coming from "us". 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

John Groce made it to the second weekend one time lol. Not sure where you’re seeing he has a higher percentage than Painter. Painter has made the sweet 16 a third of the time. Most of the time his teams have been  between the second round game and the sweet 16. Overall that’s decent. Weber has only made it to the second weekend 4 times. Where are you getting your numbers?

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

John Groce made it to the second weekend one time lol. Not sure where you’re seeing he has a higher percentage than Painter. Painter has made the sweet 16 a third of the time. Weber has only made it to the second weekend 4 times. Where are you getting your numbers?

It was a joke....but since you want to do numbers again....how is 5 seasons of making it to the 2nd weekend as a head coach for 16 years a third?? It's 31% barely, right? Awesome stuff Painter. You've succeeded 31% of your  career. If only you were a baseball player....but since the numbers is what you want. Keady coached at Purdue for what 25 years? He made the second weekend of NCAA tourney 5 times for a robust 20% clip....so I guess Painter is really improving things. My apologies. Stay the course. Painter is the obvious choice. He's improved Purdue dramatically over Keady.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It was a joke....but since you want to do numbers again....how is 5 seasons of making it to the 2nd weekend as a head coach for 16 years a third?? It's 31% barely, right? Awesome stuff Painter. You've succeeded 31% of your  career. If only you were a baseball player....but since the numbers is what you want. Keady coached at Purdue for what 25 years? He made the second weekend of NCAA tourney 5 times for a robust 20% clip....so I guess Painter is really improving things. My apologies. Stay the course. Painter is the obvious choice. He's improved Purdue dramatically over Keady.

He just finished his 15th season. 5/15 equals a third. 

So based on your unique metrics of what makes a successful coach, what is the ideal percentage of making it to the second weekend?

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

He just finished his 15th season. 5/15 equals a third. 

So based on your unique metrics of what makes a successful coach, what is the ideal percentage of making it to the second weekend?

Was counting his year at Southern Illinois....wasn't sure if you were counting that in. 

Unique? Nice try. Have a good one. 

8 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Was just curious. If 31% isn’t good, what is an acceptable percentage?

It's good enough for Purdue...it's not acceptable at IU and there lies the difference...

And before we get on with this "well Archie hasn't" twist, we're all aware of that...and if the next few years aren't productive, we'll deal with it...but I like how we're trending...

Purdue is ok with mediocrity...if you think Matt Painter would still have a job at IU with that record, you're wrong...he'd have been dismissed long ago...

Historically, 5 national championships in ALL sports (including one in cheerleading) tells me all I need to know about PU's comfort with mediocrity...

I also noticed you dodged @IUwins0708 statement... 

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It's good enough for Purdue...it's not acceptable at IU and there lies the difference...

And before we get on with this "well Archie hasn't" twist, we're all aware of that...and if the next few years aren't productive, we'll deal with it...but I like how we're trending...

Purdue is ok with mediocrity...if you think Matt Painter would still have a job at IU with that record, you're wrong...he'd have been dismissed long ago...

Historically, 5 national championships in ALL sports (including one in cheerleading) tells me all I need to know about PU's comfort with mediocrity...

I also noticed you dodged @IUwins0708 statement... 

Who knows if/when Painter would’ve been dismissed had he been at IU with the record he has. No one knows that. 

As far as his comment, I actually did respond but then deleted it as I didn’t want it to turn into a pissing match. I don't trash this site on GBI. No idea where he got that from. 

Archived