Purdue losing a Big

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know I wouldn't like I that at all and I never want IU to build their program in this way.

Agreed. I like to follow a kids growth and feel like a part of the journey...they get a flavor of the month. Honestly if they sneeze they will miss a kids whole career. It’s a tight rope...Cal has been fortunate to walk it but man...high risk involved in things come crashing down. An injury or two and that team can go From conference champs to NIT just line when Noel went down. With so many kids all in it for themselves...hard to watch imo. I know our kids want the best for themselves too but they really seem to enjoy representing our state and playing for each other.

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. I like to follow a kids growth and feel like a part of the journey...they get a flavor of the month. Honestly if they sneeze they will miss a kids whole career. It’s a tight rope...Cal has been fortunate to walk it but man...high risk involved in things come crashing down. An injury or two and that team can go From conference champs to NIT just line when Noel went down. With so many kids all in it for themselves...hard to watch imo. I know our kids want the best for themselves too but they really seem to enjoy representing our state and playing for each other.

I'm no fan of the Cal model and by no means suggesting IU adopt it, but on the bolded I actually think over the years at UK that Cal has done a fantastic job of getting all the talent he's had to play together, play hard and play as a team. I actually think it's a pretty big feather in his cap in terms of how he's done that with all of those guys at UK. They might have a ton of one and done guys all planning to leave, but I've never thought those teams didn't play hard or play together for the one year they're there. 

To be honest, I've seen more selfish, uninspired play at IU over the years than I have at UK.  

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't blame them with their rich basketball history of winning the main goal should be championships not getting player to the pros.

From what I have seen, it is the older fans vs. the younger fans.  The older ones want it the way it used to be.

24 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm no fan of the Cal model and by no means suggesting IU adopt it, but on the bolded I actually think over the years at UK that Cal has done a fantastic job of getting all the talent he's had to play together, play hard and play as a team. I actually think it's a pretty big feather in his cap in terms of how he's done that with all of those guys at UK. They might have a ton of one and done guys all planning to leave, but I've never thought those teams didn't play hard or play together for the one year they're there. 

To be honest, I've seen more selfish, uninspired play at IU over the years than I have at UK.  

Oh I agree. I had to listen to a ton of his radio shows the past 10 years and he preaches defense and being bought into the system. Constantly talks about it takes usually to almost end of January before freshman start to get it usually. Lots to criticize but that point he has down or they sit and transfer. Just most teams with multiple OAD outside UK and Duke struggle with it.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

From what I have seen, it is the older fans vs. the younger fans.  The older ones want it the way it used to be.

They all just want to win. Young like Cals way of having the best players. They like seeing top 1-2 recruiting classes and then following them in the nba. Older fans care less about nba and just about winning a championship and their season tickets etc. Both are happy 90% of the time...only complain when they lose. Young kids blame scape goat players and old blame cal. Honestly most don’t have enough b-ball iq to see all the nuisances with winning and losing as they didn’t grow up playing the game like I see with most hardcore Indiana fans (IU, PU, etc). We grew up dribbling, shooting, going to camps, playing and being coached. A majority of Kentucky kids follow basketball by sitting and watching and being told what they are seeing by idiots on the radio like Matt Jones. I’ve found some good ones to talk to over the years but a majority of the fans grew up sitting on the couch not in the back yard or park. Anyways big disconnect in generational fans isn’t new...but down there it’s either Cal fans or Cat fans....who take the winning but only complain come second week of the tourney when a lesser talented team takes them out.

Just saw Washington just lost their 2nd freshman to the draft and was wondering if it was worth getting those two for one year.  They finished near the bottom if not last in the conference so to me it was not worth all the time and effort in recruiting those two.  I would have rather spent all that time recruiting guys who will be there long term and start developing those players.

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

Your last sentence made me pause initially.  But, I think you’re right.   

My hope is that Archie is sifting thru players he’s recruiting and weeding out the dysfunctional guys.  Playing unselfishly together can be a byproduct of wanting success and being a good teammate.  TJD, Franklin and our commits seem to fit the right profile so hopefully we are trending in the right direction.  

It’s hard to be a good teammate when they are selfish with each other.  College kids who don’t like each other?  It’s laughable.  Get along.  You’re a kid.  Nothing more.  There’s way more at stake here than some juvenile immaturity over a girl or whatever.   Totally laughable.  

The guys who crave drama may have been raised that way.  You see it in all professions, though.  Invariably, they are less successful.  The winners in life, whether it’s in sports or some traditional field, keep their head down, do good work, stay above the fray when it comes to drama, have initiative, etc.  For those people, everything will fall into place, e.g., success, money, the plum promotion, etc.  

Two 19 year olds that cannot get along is a total joke and embarrassing for them.  They don’t get it.  Put the ego aside, repurpose yourself for success, and you know what?  The pro leagues will be all over you.  Funny how that works out.  It’s amazing how poor the mentorship is out there.   The parents need to stop watching the Real Housewives  or the Bachelor or whatever other idiocy is rotting their brains and roll up their sleeves and give good advice for success.  The hanger-ons like the tapeworm from the Scheme are part of the problem.  They are unnecessary in the system and are in it for themselves.  

Archived