Car Talk (and Truck Talk too)

37 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My wife is a very methodical person...

We drove all of those you mentioned along with a Chevy Colorado and a Nissan Frontier...When she decided on the Tacoma, we went to the dealership I had already bought 4 vehicles from. In Texas, they carry many more trucks on the lot than cars. The day we went, the dealership had 161 Tacomas on the lot...

And she looked at every one of the damned things...it was like triple the NCAA tournament in a day...but, she got what she wanted...

Word of caution though...you said you were 6'5"...the entry and exit head space for me is close, and I'm 5'11"

My height has kept me from Hondas and Toyotas before. I like the likely reliability of a Toyota. Longevity is my main concern with my GMC. I do fit ok in my wife's Highlander but it is not nearly as comfortable to drive as my truck. Hopefully it will be 3-4 years before I need to be worrying about buying my next one. 

19 hours ago, DWB said:

Getting the itch for a new F150. Ford recently introduced a turbo charged 3.0 diesel for the F150. Gonna go drive one in the next week if the dealers are open here. Not sure they are.

I figure with everything being shut down for the last month, and probably another 2-3 weeks, they should be willing to "give them away" when "we can go outside and play".

I have been looking at the new half ton diesels as well, chevy ram & ford.   Some places are offering 200,000 mile/ 20 yr warranties.

1 hour ago, BDB said:

I have been looking at the new half ton diesels as well, chevy ram & ford.   Some places are offering 200,000 mile/ 20 yr warranties.

Just got back from a dealer that had a turbo diesel F150 on his lot (2019. No 2020's yet). Drove it. Did not like it near as much as my Eco-boost F150. And...they get $4,000 for the diesel engine, and they only put it in the Lariat and above models which are over priced to begin with. (makes no sense to me, but it is what it is).

Anyway, now I can focus on another Eco-boost. Will more than likely have one built, rather than buying something off the lot that's loaded with a bunch of BS that I'll never use. Can't wait to see the goodies Ford offers as incentives when they start production again in May.

41 minutes ago, DWB said:

Just got back from a dealer that had a turbo diesel F150 on his lot (2019. No 2020's yet). Drove it. Did not like it near as much as my Eco-boost F150. And...they get $4,000 for the diesel engine, and they only put it in the Lariat and above models which are over priced to begin with. (makes no sense to me, but it is what it is).

Anyway, now I can focus on another Eco-boost. Will more than likely have one built, rather than buying something off the lot that's loaded with a bunch of BS that I'll never use. Can't wait to see the goodies Ford offers as incentives when they start production again in May.

The best price for the ram is just over 38k and Chevy is 39k or so on autotrader.   I did notice the fords were quite a bit more than that, now I know why.  I too am looking to see what deals are to be had for the next several months. 

So we got any Jeep people here? 

I’ve got a 4” lifted 4-door Wrangler (looks  a lot like the one in my pic but that’s a pic off google).It’s a great vehicle, can handle about any terrain with of course good ground clearance, that’s what they’re built for — but the little 6 cylinder engine is funny. Not winning any drag races in it lol (I leave that for my C63....).

Have been thinking about adding better air intake and mufflers to get a little more power but haven’t— anyone fooled around some with outfitting a Jeep? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

So we got any Jeep people here? 

I’ve got a 4” lifted 4-door Wrangler (looks  a lot like the one in my pic but that’s a pic off google).It’s a great vehicle, can handle about any terrain with of course good ground clearance, that’s what they’re built for — but the little 6 cylinder engine is funny. Not winning any drag races in it lol (I leave that for my C63....).

Have been thinking about adding better air intake and mufflers to get a little more power but haven’t— anyone fooled around some with outfitting a Jeep? 

I've got a 14' 2 door JK w/ 4" and 35"s. I've put a rear bumper on it but that's about it. I always plan to do more but just never do for some reason.

Also have a, 18' JL 4 door. Bone stock, it's the wifes. and an 07' Commander with 3rd row seating. IT's the wife and grand kids cool (not) bus. 

I've built trucks and jeeps all my adult life.

• Like 1

Anybody on here lease? 

As a business owner it just makes more sense for me to do this because I can write off all the automotive costs. That said, my lease is up at the end of next month and while the low financing rates and deferred payments are good for new cars, I'm wondering how this is going to affect leases. I just read an article in Bloomberg that predicts the used car lots are going to be flooded with inventory from repos, but mainly from all the rental fleets sitting untouched and waiting to be turned over. More inventory on used lots means that the prices are going to dive on used cars. If that happens, the residual values on leases would plummet too, which would make leasing not attractive at all. 

I'm going to need a car at the end of May (possibly June because GM is extending lease contracts); it's going to be interesting what is going to happen. Anybody else in this predicament?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Anybody on here lease? 

As a business owner it just makes more sense for me to do this because I can write off all the automotive costs. That said, my lease is up at the end of next month and while the low financing rates and deferred payments are good for new cars, I'm wondering how this is going to affect leases. I just read an article in Bloomberg that predicts the used car lots are going to be flooded with inventory from repos, but mainly from all the rental fleets sitting untouched and waiting to be turned over. More inventory on used lots means that the prices are going to dive on used cars. If that happens, the residual values on leases would plummet too, which would make leasing not attractive at all. 

I'm going to need a car at the end of May (possibly June because GM is extending lease contracts); it's going to be interesting what is going to happen. Anybody else in this predicament?  

I've never leased because I put on too many miles and the few times I looked seriously into it, it didn't work out for me. If looking for a new car, I'd think this is the perfect time to buy new. Should be once in a decade deals available in the month of April. Don't see it lasting long as once the economy reopens, activity will slowly return to normal. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

For those looking to buy new or newer used (my personal favorite category). Here's some reports coming out.  Might want to hold off just a little while longer. Could be some incredible deals come fall. 

https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/fear-of-an-impending-car-price-collapse-grips-the-auto-industry

Yes, this is the article I read. 

For my wife's car we opt to do the 'newer used' too. There's a lot of good certified pre-owned programs out there that allow you to take advantage of manufacturer financing deals, plus you get another 30k miles of warranty. This seems enticing, the only problem is then we'd have to sell hers. haha. And responsible me thinks that I'd rather not have another car payment in this climate. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Anybody on here lease? 

Sorry. Didn't read your post until after I posted the link. I went back and forth on this discussion for years. I always came back to same thing. Under 10-12k miles per year and lease makes a ton of sense....after that newer used is what I started doing about 10-12 years ago and haven't looked back since. If I were in your shoes I'd hold off as long as possible before making the call. Banks are already holding back ton of cash because of they think will be bad credit/debt write offs coming......Wells Fargo said as much this morning after earnings announcement. 

I'd hold off and see what kind of deal is available because I think it's going to be priceline time. Name your own price. 

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sorry. Didn't read your post until after I posted the link. I went back and forth on this discussion for years. I always came back to same thing. Under 10-12k miles per year and lease makes a ton of sense....after that newer used is what I started doing about 10-12 years ago and haven't looked back since. If I were in your shoes I'd hold off as long as possible before making the call. Banks are already holding back ton of cash because of they think will be bad credit/debt write offs coming......Wells Fargo said as much this morning after earnings announcement. 

I'd hold off and see what kind of deal is available because I think it's going to be priceline time. Name your own price. 

I definitely fall into a niche. First, if I couldn't write off all my automotive expenses I'd never lease. Secondly, i'm consistently under 12k a year on mileage. So it works for me. 

There's definitely a game to play with leases too. Car dealers bank on you not knowing how leases are calculated and try to confuse you. Bottom line is that you are renting a vehicle for 3 years and you are paying the depreciated amount with interest. The trick is finding the sweet spot for a car that's going under msrp that's going to hold its value well for 3 years. The car I'm currently in right now is an Acadia. I was able to get my uncle's GM employee pricing and I got an unbelievable deal. Last month when I was getting my vehicle serviced I had them price out a new accadia (still with the GM discount) and it was $120 more a month....for the same car but with a new face lift! Turns out the rebates weren't as good and the residual was not as good either. The crazy thing, I could hypothetically get into a Volvo XC90 or a Lexus RX350 for a better price because they are going for way under msrp and hold their value better. Who'd take an Acadia over an Volvo or Lexus? I just find it funny.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I definitely fall into a niche. First, if I couldn't write off all my automotive expenses I'd never lease. Secondly, i'm consistently under 12k a year on mileage. So it works for me. 

There's definitely a game to play with leases too. Car dealers bank on you not knowing how leases are calculated and try to confuse you. Bottom line is that you are renting a vehicle for 3 years and you are paying the depreciated amount with interest. The trick is finding the sweet spot for a car that's going under msrp that's going to hold its value well for 3 years. The car I'm currently in right now is an Acadia. I was able to get my uncle's GM employee pricing and I got an unbelievable deal. Last month when I was getting my vehicle serviced I had them price out a new accadia (still with the GM discount) and it was $120 more a month....for the same car but with a new face lift! Turns out the rebates weren't as good and the residual was not as good either. The crazy thing, I could hypothetically get into a Volvo XC90 or a Lexus RX350 for a better price because they are going for way under msrp and hold their value better. Who'd take an Acadia over an Volvo or Lexus? I just find it funny.

Without diving into much details. I've been buying used Lexus models for better part of 12-14 years. There's a sweet spot (as you say) where if you get a good deal those cars will hold their value. The one I'm driving now I got for $3400 under most blue book values and after driving it for 26 months it just now hit where I'm taking a loss. I made so many dumb purchases early on in life....the car game is one I'll never be burned on again. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ Nice! 

My c63 is a matte finish so I have no choice, have to hand-wash it, but also can't wax it -- can't wax a matte finish. But my Jeep needs some shine... The Car Guys product looks promising. 

I can notice the difference after using the Car Guys wax. I usually try and apply every 4-6 weeks between regular hand waxes.  It really is as simple as spraying on, wiping off.

I bought that a couple years ago when it was the new hot thing. I have several years left in that bottle. I got this one for my son because I happened upon it in a store- https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-hybrid-ceramic-wax-easy-use-ceramic-wax-protection-g190526-26-oz . You don't have to wipe that one off, just hose off. Prices have come down over the time. Turtle wax has one in the stores as well. Here is one probably similar to the the Car Guys- https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/ceramic+3in1+wax.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn.

In addition to the shine, which isn't all that noticeable on my dark grey, I like how the water and dirt roll right off. 

• Like 1

I just gave up trying to get yellow road paint off the side of my car. Clay bar, WD40, Goo Gone with a credit card scraper......didn't do crap. All the videos on YouTube made it more confusing because you have to filter through the idiots telling you to put god knows what on your paint. Anybody ever done this successfully?

Either way, the detailing shop said they'll get it off for $50. Good enough for me. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I just gave up trying to get yellow road paint off the side of my car. Clay bar, WD40, Goo Gone with a credit card scraper......didn't do crap. All the videos on YouTube made it more confusing because you have to filter through the idiots telling you to put god knows what on your paint. Anybody ever done this successfully?

Either way, the detailing shop said they'll get it off for $50. Good enough for me. 

Let the detail shop do it. I'd have them hand wax it (too much effort now that I'm older) and if you do that, might be less than the $50.

3 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

AMG? What year? 

c63 507, 2014. Bought new have since dyno'd it, added an ECU chip tune, carbon fiber rear spoiler and diffuser, and a ROW airbox -- oh yeah almost forgot also a limited slip differential. Got it as I am a naturally aspirated car guy, not big on turbos, and that was the last naturally aspirated AMG engine. It's a monster (6.2 Liter), I love it. Can't believe it's like 6 years old now (around 80K miles on it).  -- I'll try and post a pic tomorrow --

• Like 1