Car Talk (and Truck Talk too)

13 hours ago, Reacher said:

I got a tune for my truck. They called it the Camaro tune since I have the same engine as the Camaro.  It is hard to lay off the gas with that. Just sounds so nice....

I have around 550 HP and 490 pound foot torque with a 6.2 liter naturally aspirated V8, in a 2-door coupe. It blows 911’s off the road, the Camaros, Chargers etc left wondering what happened lol. Ten second quarter mile, about 3.3 0-60. And the sound of an AMG raw naturally aspirated exhaust note... just a thing of beauty. 

• Like 3

A couple of weeks ago Ford took their pants off on F150 rebates. I jumped on it. Luckily I bought it when I did, cause that deal is long gone. As it turns out, even though car sales are down 50%+, the F150 sales are only off about 1%. Ford says they may have a shortage of them before they can get production back up and dealers restocked.

Nothing fancy...just a 2020 F150 Eco-boost.

Added a spray in bed-liner, window tint, windshield tint, mud flaps and bug deflector after picture was taken.

2020 F-150 front.JPG

Edited by DWB
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, DWB said:

A couple of weeks ago Ford took their pants off on F150 rebates. I jumped on it. Luckily I bought it when I did, cause that deal is long gone. As it turns out, even though car sales are down 50%+, the F150 sales are only off about 1%. Ford says they may have a shortage of them before they can get production back up and dealers restocked.

Nothing fancy...just a 2020 F150 Eco-boost.

Added a spray in bed-liner, window tint, windshield tint, mud flaps and bug deflector after picture was taken.

2020 F-150 front.JPG

What kind of tonneau cover do you have in mind?

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

What kind of tonneau cover do you have in mind?

I've looked at a bunch of them, and to me they all have significant drawbacks. I haul a lot of stuff, hence the need for the Line-X bed liner, but I doubt if I get a Tonneau cover.

About once a month I go over to Columbia, SC and get 1000# of dog food for the local animal shelter, sometimes 2500#. I often have to put a pallet of food in the truck and one on my small trailer. I also load up a bunch of trash to take to local dump once a week. A Tonneau cover would just get in the way I think.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DWB said:

I've looked at a bunch of them, and to me they all have significant drawbacks. I haul a lot of stuff, hence the need for the Line-X bed liner, but I doubt if I get a Tonneau cover.

About once a month I go over to Columbia, SC and get 1000# of dog food for the local animal shelter, sometimes 2500#. I often have to put a pallet of food in the truck and one on my small trailer. I also load up a bunch of trash to take to local dump once a week. A Tonneau cover would just get in the way I think.

I sometimes regret my hard cover as it can be hassle to remove. I only need to a handful of times per year. Something like this would probably work for you -https://realtruck.com/p/truxedo-truxport-tonneau-cover/v/ford/f150/2020/

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Thought I would share a pic of the one man method to access the fuel pump on a truck. Remove 4 mounting bolts on one side, and run the 4 on the other side out about 3/4. Lift and support with a ~16in 2x4. Impact gun is neccessary.

20200607_141932.jpg

First saw the picture and thought you were one of those that went about jacking the truck up only to realize you can’t afford the tires and wheels to fit. Nice job of your ingenuity though!

• Haha 2

Just now, Drroogh said:

First saw the picture and thought you were one of those that went about jacking the truck up only to realize you can’t afford the tires and wheels to fit. Nice job of your ingenuity though!

Have to admit, I got the idea from a youtube video. But I did have to think about how to do it to google correctly, so there is that. 

• Like 1

I get the pleasure of taking my wife's Tacoma over for its first Toyota Care appointment...

She's not at the 5,000 mile point (2,723 as of today) so we had to do the 6 months...Good Lord, I figure when we go to sell it or trade it off, she might have 10,000 miles on it...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I get the pleasure of taking my wife's Tacoma over for its first Toyota Care appointment...

She's not at the 5,000 mile point (2,723 as of today) so we had to do the 6 months...Good Lord, I figure when we go to sell it or trade it off, she might have 10,000 miles on it...

good for resale. I just had to turn in a lease 3,000 miles short because I got into an accident and it was in the shop for 6 months. Our plan was to drive the crap out of it this spring, but the Rona happened. 

Does Toyota Care include the first first few services as part of the purchase?

45 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

good for resale. I just had to turn in a lease 3,000 miles short because I got into an accident and it was in the shop for 6 months. Our plan was to drive the crap out of it this spring, but the Rona happened. 

Does Toyota Care include the first first few services as part of the purchase?

Yeah, Toyota Care covers the first 2 years or 25,000 miles of service. Tire rotation, fluids, multi-point inspection. They said they only change oil at 10,000 miles so didn't get that done today. Did get a little chip in her windshield repaired for $60. The windshield supposedly costs $5,000 to replace because it has all the cameras and such for the anti-collision and lane assist stuff, so $60 to guard against the spread seemed like a bargain.

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Last Monday, 6 hours before returning to ASU, my daughter totalled my wifes Toyota Highlander. It was not her fault and no one was hurt. The Toyota was paid for and we anticipated keeping for at least another 5 years as it fit our needs and has always been reliable.  All of a sudden, we needed a plan B.

Since we go to MI many weekends in the summer, we needed something big enough for my German Shepherds crate in the back and the mother in law (she doesn't need a crate anymore :D ). I would have liked an electric but the ones out now (Tesla Y, Mustang Mach E) aren't big enough. There are roughly 25 3rd row SUV models out there so time for some research.  I start with Motor Trend, Car and Driver, US News and World Report reviews. Toyota was generally around 5th or lower with the Honda Pilot close by. At the top were Kia, Mazda, Hyundai, Subaru and VW. Spent a couple evenings last week doing test drives. I liked the Mazda but my wife thought the seats were uncomfortable. I thought the Subaru would be a good combination of safety, technology, winter driving, comfort, resale, etc but she couldn't stand the turbo whine from the 4 cyl.

A week ago I never thought I'd be a Kia owner, but the Kia had the best combination of luxury, safety, driving features, technology, 100k mile warranty, above average reliability?? and my wife like the way they looked. Only issue was they are relatively new and in high demand so hardly any are available and couldn't get our exact choice of preferred options.  Dealer had one coming in the following day so we jumped on it as it was mostly what we wanted. 

There is an eco driving mode for the wife and a sport mode for me .

So there I was, last Thursday evening, buying a KIA Telluride during the IU game while following the play by play on espn and trying to keep up on the game thread. We have only had it a few days but we both like it so far. My wife was amazed she gets text messages on her phone if the doors are left unlocked. I had it waxed and a ceramic sealant put on yesterday to protect it from the snow coming tomorrow. The color is kind of cool. Very little metallic in it and depending on lighting can look white, silver or gray. 

20210113_075043.jpg

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Last Monday, 6 hours before returning to ASU, my daughter totalled my wifes Toyota Highlander. It was not her fault and no one was hurt. The Toyota was paid for and we anticipated keeping for at least another 5 years as it fit our needs and has always been reliable.  All of a sudden, we needed a plan B.

Since we go to MI many weekends in the summer, we needed something big enough for my German Shepherds crate in the back and the mother in law (she doesn't need a crate anymore :D ). I would have liked an electric but the ones out now (Tesla Y, Mustang Mach E) aren't big enough. There are roughly 25 3rd row SUV models out there so time for some research.  I start with Motor Trend, Car and Driver, US News and World Report reviews. Toyota was generally around 5th or lower with the Honda Pilot close by. At the top were Kia, Mazda, Hyundai, Subaru and VW. Spent a couple evenings last week doing test drives. I liked the Mazda but my wife thought the seats were uncomfortable. I thought the Subaru would be a good combination of safety, technology, winter driving, comfort, resale, etc but she couldn't stand the turbo whine from the 4 cyl.

A week ago I never thought I'd be a Kia owner, but the Kia had the best combination of luxury, safety, driving features, technology, 100k mile warranty, above average reliability?? and my wife like the way they looked. Only issue was they are relatively new and in high demand so hardly any are available and couldn't get our exact choice of preferred options.  Dealer had one coming in the following day so we jumped on it as it was mostly what we wanted. 

So there I was, last Thursday evening, buying a KIA Telluride during the IU game while following the play by play on espn and trying to keep up on the game thread. We have only had it a few days but we both like it so far. My wife was amazed she gets text messages on her phone if the doors are left unlocked. I had it waxed and a ceramic sealant put on yesterday to protect it from the snow coming tomorrow. The color is kind of cool. Very little metallic in it and depending on lighting can look white, silver or gray. 

20210113_075043.jpg

I'd still put the crate in for the mother in law.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

20210113_075043.jpg

I tried to get my wife to get a Telluride when she got her Volvo last year. Great looking vehicle! 

• Thanks 1

Were you not able to get the Telluride you wanted or did she just like the Volvo better?

Last year would have been their first model year. I think all the accolades that vehicle got are really driving demand. When I was buying they told me the vehicle I test drove sold an hour later to someone from WI who drove down to get it. Hopefully it lives up to the hype. 

8 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Were you not able to get the Telluride you wanted or did she just like the Volvo better?

Last year would have been their first model year. I think all the accolades that vehicle got are really driving demand. When I was buying they told me the vehicle I test drove sold an hour later to someone from WI who drove down to get it. Hopefully it lives up to the hype. 

I recently got a kia Sedona 2017.  Really like it.  Have had kia sportage, loved it.  And have had hyundai sonata and currently a santa fe.  The sonota was 1st model year of the plug in hybrid so it had a few little bugs.  Santa fe is still great 30k in.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I tried to get my wife to get a Telluride when she got her Volvo last year. Great looking vehicle! 

I was faced with a similar decision. I use it as a company car so it makes more sense for me to lease. I loved the Telluride and Palisade but The leases were off the charts due to the demand. We’re talking BMW X5 territory. Ended up getting the Volvo through a lease broker for a steal. Love driving the Volvo, but still wouldn’t mind all that crazy tech on the Kia...that blind spot camera and the intercom to the back seat are awesome.   

Kia/Hyundai are killing it: great value, tech, and interior appointments. That new Genesis SUV is also insane  

• Like 1