Jump to content

Andy Katz Early Power 36 for next season


Recommended Posts

Like I said in the other thread this was brought up and that there is no way that UM is the  best team in the country.  He either did this list before livers declared for the draft and Julius and Castleton transferred or he is smoking something.  I have them right now around 8th in the big ten.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Again....  IU is going to have to prove itself to get some love

I have no problem having to do this but anyone with half a brain can see what we have coming back and coming in. I'll give Nova, Kansas, and UK the benefit of the doubt.....but the rest? Sorry. Oh well. We'll lay in the weeds one more year and be the hunted after that. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're optimistic about next season- largely because we believe Rob, Jerome, and Race are healthy and going to have a good season.  In addition,  we think Lander could provide relief if the injury bug hits Rob again.  Rob's injuries in particular have absolutely crippled us in previous seasons.

National media people don't really know this.  They see Jerome as a guy that averaged 3ppg, not as a major recruit who shook rust off and began to shoot well. They look at Rob as a guy that shows flashes, but is average.  Race averaged 3.7 ppg.   And they're probably unaware that Lander will likely play next year.  

Also- the last time the national media bought in to us a bit was probably early in the 18-19 season.  We know how that ended.   The national media bought in to us in 2016-17 as well.  We haven't exactly rewarded national media figures that have bought in to us in previous seasons. 

I think we'll be good- but there's going to be some reluctance to buy in to us by national media figures initially.

Edited by Blazin Hazin
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

tough part is that if most pick us around 7th in the B1G, many of our fans will think they're wrong and we'll be better than that.  most of the time if all the "experts" are predicting around the same finish they're probably closer than the fan base of that team.  that said, if we finish 7th i guess it's pretty good progress.  maybe a little tough to take if i's our last season with TJD and i sure hope Lander would be here for at least two.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

tough part is that if most pick us around 7th in the B1G, many of our fans will think they're wrong and we'll be better than that.  most of the time if all the "experts" are predicting around the same finish they're probably closer than the fan base of that team.  that said, if we finish 7th i guess it's pretty good progress.  maybe a little tough to take if i's our last season with TJD and i sure hope Lander would be here for at least two.  

Here is my way to early prediction of the big ten standing for next year based on everyone staying in the draft and Ayo going from UI.

1) Iowa

2) UW

3) IU- as long as TJD stays and Landers reclassifies

4) MSU

5) Rutgers

6) Purdue

7) UM

8) OSU

9) Maryland

10) NW

11) UI

12) PSU

13) Neb

14) Minnesota

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, 5fouls said:

IU at 31.  7th in the Big Ten.

I feel like I should complain, but won't.

Scary part is if these rankings hold true you could have 12-14 games vs top 30 in country during conference play. I know our preseason scheduling received some criticism last year but if the conference is going to be this brutal again give me some layups early on. Getting to 13 conference wins is going to be very tough again. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Here is my way to early prediction of the big ten standing for next year based on everyone staying in the draft and Ayo going from UI.

1) Iowa

2) UW

3) IU- as long as TJD stays and Landers reclassifies

4) MSU

5) Rutgers

6) Purdue

7) UM

😎 OSU

9) Maryland

10) NW

11) UI

12) PSU

13) Neb

14) Minnesota

Imagine being Underwood at Illinois right now. You have 2 players(Cockburn/Ayo) who are good enough to make your college team be really, really good next year....or be sent back to bottom tier of conference. That's the one thing where I felt like we could never get our timing right during Crean's tenure. Had early departures of Cody, Victor, OG, Vonleh, Bryant, Williams, Blackmon...but with exception of 12/13 season we never got a chance to keep having core come back. That's why I'm excited for next year. Finally have a very solid core returning.

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Garza just announced for NBA....while keeping his eligibility still. Can't imagine him having any higher draft status. Another team/coach who could be in line for a great year but will have to see if their star comes back. 

I had Iowa winning the conference but that would change if Garza does not come back.  Like I said in another thread all of these guys leaving would help IU chances in the conference.  As a college basketball I hate seeing so many guys leave and hope some of them come back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I had Iowa winning the conference but that would change if Garza does not come back.  Like I said in another thread all of these guys leaving would help IU chances in the conference.  As a college basketball I hate seeing so many guys leave and hope some of them come back.

Understand.....but hard to pass up the loot. Had to chuckle when Garza announced some idiot on twitter called him a glorified Cody Zeller. Yep....that $75 Million Cody has and will earn seems like a bad deal. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Understand.....but hard to pass up the loot. Had to chuckle when Garza announced some idiot on twitter called him a glorified Cody Zeller. Yep....that $75 Million Cody has and will earn seems like a bad deal. 

I don't blame any of them for going and even understand kids who are going to be top picks.  What I have a hard time understanding is  leaving when you are not even going to get drafted.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like us competing for the conference championship, next year. We’ve turned a major corner in the Archie Miller tenure. We’re getting old with Archie’s recruits. We have more depth than any other team in the B1G, by a wide margin. If we finish worse than 5th in B1G, Archie should reevaluate his profession. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I don't blame any of them for going and even understand kids who are going to be top picks.  What I have a hard time understanding is  leaving when you are not even going to get drafted.

We've been over this adnausum, but the opportunity to make a really, really good living playing professional basketball has grown substantially over the last 10-15 years. The chances of getting a legit NBA shot as a second round pick or even an undrafted player has grown tremendously over the last 5-10 years, and the money that can be made in the G-League, Europe and China is also increasing every year. 

This isn't the 80's where if you didn't get drafted in the 1st round your dream was basically crushed. These guys are making well into the six-figures and some in the 7-figures internationally and in places like China you can also make a ton in endorsements. The G-League has made tremendous strides over the last 3-5 years and the path from G-League to the NBA is as strong as it's ever been with 2-Way contracts and the lowering of the 1st round commitment from 4 years to 2 years. 

I know that many college fans want these kids to continue to play for free for the "glory of old (insert college name here)", but with basketball now being a fully global game, the growth of the NBA into worldwide markets and the ever growing global economy, this isn't going backwards, it's only going to increase. With the age of the internet, social media and eCommerce, as well as the skyrocketing cost of college, the need for college is dwindling in general, and it's only going to be less and less for athletes. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Danomatic said:

I like us competing for the conference championship, next year. We’ve turned a major corner in the Archie Miller tenure. We’re getting old with Archie’s recruits. We have more depth than any other team in the B1G, by a wide margin. If we finish worse than 3rd in B1G, Archie should reevaluate his profession. 

Fixed it for you.  But I largely agree with your post.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We've been over this adnausum, but the opportunity to make a really, really good living playing professional basketball has grown substantially over the last 10-15 years. The chances of getting a legit NBA shot as a second round pick or even an undrafted player has grown tremendously over the last 5-10 years, and the money that can be made in the G-League, Europe and China is also increasing every year. 

This isn't the 80's where if you didn't get drafted in the 1st round your dream was basically crushed. These guys are making well into the six-figures and some in the 7-figures internationally and in places like China you can also make a ton in endorsements. The G-League has made tremendous strides over the last 3-5 years and the path from G-League to the NBA is as strong as it's ever been with 2-Way contracts and the lowering of the 1st round commitment from 4 years to 2 years. 

I know that many college fans want these kids to continue to play for free for the "glory of old (insert college name here)", but with basketball now being a fully global game, the growth of the NBA into worldwide markets and the ever growing global economy, this isn't going backwards, it's only going to increase. With the age of the internet, social media and eCommerce, as well as the skyrocketing cost of college, the need for college is dwindling in general, and it's only going to be less and less for athletes. 

That is funny saying those players are playing for free since they are earning around $50,000 a year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...