Leal is officially Indiana Mr Basketball

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Congratulations to Anthony and his family. Another solid recruit for Archie. Whether he won Mr. Basketball or not you want kids like Anthony Leal on your team.

Could not have said it any better, myself.

And thanks to KDB for the TJD twitter link.  Very nice of TJD to do that.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Where did you see this

Look at TJDs tweet about 3 posts above this...

"Cant wait to be on the court with you next year."

So unless they're both going overseas to play, I'd say that it's a solid assumption that they'll be in Bloomington next year...

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

It's been official for like 2 months...people just seemed to keep ignoring it for some reason. 

It is probably has to do with people have seen kids change their minds all the time.  A lot of kids has said the same thing during the season only enter the draft once the season is over.

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

True, I just like that the new guys coming in seem to have a tough, feisty attitude. I want to get back to having Coverdale, Fife, and Sheehey type players featured on our teams.

Besides the Championships, my favorite Indiana moment....

Indiana-Louisville-1993.png?resize=623%2C350&ssl=1

I miss that toughness.

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Furst and TK always had a better shot at Mr Basketball 

Just shows how outstanding that class is.  And to be honest, I think Lander would be very hard to keep off the ballot if he had a stronger supporting class.  You just look better when your team is good and Reitz just didn't have much besides Lander.  No wonder he's ready to move on.

3 hours ago, gnet550 said:

We will never know if he does reclassify...but really good odds it would be 4 in a row with Lander

Lander would never have been Mr. Basketball, as far as voters are concerned, E'ville is in Kentucky. There has been some  good candidates that have not gotten any nods. Walter McCarty in '92 for one. Heck, he was a Parade All-American but award went to Macon who couldn't make it in big-time D1 bball. Bob Ford in '68. Dave Schellhase in '62 led the state in scoring with 30.5ppg. Gary Grieger in '62 as well led EVBosse to championship while breaking the single season scoring record. May he and Schellhase split too many southern votes. Derrick Dowel in '83 average 26.8ppg and 12.1rbg then became a 2x All-Pac10 player at USC. I can't speak to the guys who won, but it's amazing that not a single player out of E'ville has ever won.

7 minutes ago, WI_Hoosier said:

I said, besides the Championships... that was my favorite "Indiana moment." Meaning of all-time. Not sure how else to explain that to you.

Ok got it.  And I agree those 92-93 teams were my 2 favorite.   The 92 team was robbed of #6 by TV Ted.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Just shows how outstanding that class is.  And to be honest, I think Lander would be very hard to keep off the ballot if he had a stronger supporting class.  You just look better when your team is good and Reitz just didn't have much besides Lander.  No wonder he's ready to move on.

Lander would’ve very likely been on the ballot but he most likely wouldn’t have won.

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Lander would’ve very likely been on the ballot but he most likely wouldn’t have won.

Don't get me wrong...he absolutely has the skills and talent, but you have to be seen and team success plays a big part in that.  Lander was tucked down in the far southwest part of the state playing on a not great team.  That was going to hurt his chances regardless of how talented he is.  Without question he has the makings of an elite point guard and I think an extra year of learning from another point guard at the college level vs. playing another year at Reitz makes the reclass a no-brainer.

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

True. She has posted on Hoosier Sports Nation, in the past. It was an honor.  Has not posted in a while.  Hopefully she still is reading, in order to see the love HSN is showering on her son. 

I was lucky enough to meet Mrs Leal at the HH event at the Bluebird. Sought her out actually. Told her how proud we were of her son, and his commitment to IU, and that "he gets it". She was most gracious, and thanked me for telling her. Class family!

Tried to meet Mrs Franklin, but couldn't find her in the crowd of about 1000. But I did chat with her on another board right before the season started.

13 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Don't get me wrong...he absolutely has the skills and talent, but you have to be seen and team success plays a big part in that.  Lander was tucked down in the far southwest part of the state playing on a not great team.  That was going to hurt his chances regardless of how talented he is.  Without question he has the makings of an elite point guard and I think an extra year of learning from another point guard at the college level vs. playing another year at Reitz makes the reclass a no-brainer.

I agree with that but that doesn’t have anything to do with whether or not he would’ve been the top Mr. Basketball candidate. I get the team winning plays a part in the voting. 

18 minutes ago, DWB said:

I was lucky enough to meet Mrs Leal at the HH event at the Bluebird. Sought her out actually. Told her how proud we were of her son, and his commitment to IU, and that "he gets it". She was most gracious, and thanked me for telling her. Class family!

Tried to meet Mrs Franklin, but couldn't find her in the crowd of about 1000. But I did chat with her on another board right before the season started.

Neat. Really neat.  Said it before. But will say it again. How much I love these first hand real life accounts our members continue to share with us.

4 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Oh god, me too. I watched this game recently and man, I miss that team.

I watched the 93 game at Michigan today where Henderson sealed the win with a block on Weber at the end.  It was just another level back in the early 90's.  I know they say that the kids are bigger, stronger, etc. today but the upper echelon teams of the early 90's would beat the upper teams of today's brains in.

At least 5 of the 10 starters in that game would have been in the NBA as opposed to playing a college game in today's world (Cheaney, Henderson, Weber, Rose, and Howard).  Instead you had a really talented and seasoned team in Indiana going against an incredibly talented squad in Michigan.  That Michigan team was like if a UK one and done group all game back for year 2.  The Indiana seniors were part of a super 6 recruiting class of their own at one time as well.

To me that time frame was the peak of the college game.  It has been on a slow decline since then.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I watched the 93 game at Michigan today where Henderson sealed the win with a block on Weber at the end.  It was just another level back in the early 90's.  I know they say that the kids are bigger, stronger, etc. today but the upper echelon teams of the early 90's would beat the upper teams of today's brains in.

At least 5 of the 10 starters in that game would have been in the NBA as opposed to playing a college game in today's world (Cheaney, Henderson, Weber, Rose, and Howard).  Instead you had a really talented and seasoned team in Indiana going against an incredibly talented squad in Michigan.  That Michigan team was like if a UK one and done group all game back for year 2.  The Indiana seniors were part of a super 6 recruiting class of their own at one time as well.

To me that time frame was the peak of the college game.  It has been on a slow decline since then.

Totally agree

Archived