2022 Class Rankings and Discussion

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Nothing wrong with him commiting but that was not what I was answering.  The response was it was good for the big ten even if he does not come.  If he doesn't come then does that really help the big ten.

We have a year and a half to find out...

As I said, if he doesn't come, it hurts neither MSU or the conference...

And positive publicity like this always helps...

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

So having Josh Smith commit to IU help in anyway

In a weird way yes. Same for Michigan St with this kid, same for Archie with Romeo, and same for Davis with Smith. He can take that to other recruits who might not be ranked as high but still very, very good to great talents  and say this. If Josh Smith or Romeo or this Sparty kid thought our school was good enough....how can't you?

Used correctly by staffs just getting a commit by a top 10 recruit( even if they never step one foot on the campus) is a win.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

In a weird way yes. Same for Michigan St with this kid, same for Archie with Romeo, and same for Davis with Smith. He can take that to other recruits who might not be ranked as high but still very, very good to great talents  and say this. If Josh Smith or Romeo or this Sparty kid thought our school was good enough....how can't you?

Used correctly by staffs just getting a commit by a top 10 recruit( even if they never step one foot on the campus) is a win.

I agree with most of that the only downside is when you lose a top 50ish guy because you took the top 10 guy that never stepped foot on campus. In principle I agree with your assessment 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree with most of that the only downside is when you lose a top 50ish guy because you took the top 10 guy that never stepped foot on campus. In principle I agree with your assessment 

That would be the Bruce Weber model. Archie doesn't strike me as someone who will not have plan B, C, and D in place with similar ranked recruits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

That would be the Bruce Weber model. Archie doesn't strike me as someone who will not have plan B, C, and D in place with similar ranked recruits. 

I agree but what I am saying is that if you offer a top 10 PG and lose out on a top 50 PG because he wants to go to the school that says he is the man day 1 etc... 

• 4 weeks later...

Latest 247 rankings for the players that I know IU has had some level of contact with.

Also interesting to note that all 3 top in-state PGs are not ranked right now -- Walker, Comer, Smith. Still a long way to go there.  I expect one will emerge.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-where-indianas-targets-and-prospects-landed-in-247sports-class-of-2022-rankings/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

13 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Latest 247 rankings for the players that I know IU has had some level of contact with.

Also interesting to note that all 3 top in-state PGs are not ranked right now -- Walker, Comer, Smith. Still a long way to go there.  I expect one will emerge.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-where-indianas-targets-and-prospects-landed-in-247sports-class-of-2022-rankings/

"preciate your contribution.  As always.... on top of YOUR game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Thanks, as always.  It will be interesting to see which guys we get traction with.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I understand if you don't want to give out this information but where do you think the point guards that are being recruiting in this class rank in terms of priority to the staff? (Smith, Walker, Comer, Thornton, Holloman)

23 minutes ago, Vincent14 said:

I understand if you don't want to give out this information but where do you think the point guards that are being recruiting in this class rank in terms of priority to the staff? (Smith, Walker, Comer, Thornton, Holloman)

I suspect it is Thornton, Holloman, Walker, Smith and Comer in that order.  With still two years of high school left, obviously much can change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Nope just looking on sites and saying that we are warm in terms of recruitment. I will acquiesce to someone with alot more knowledge though on this. Figured I would drege up this thread since we have moved on from 21 although I think there might be a couple more guys that would be possible gets in that class. 

Edited by ButlerHoosier
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ButlerHoosier said:

Nope just looking on sites and saying that we are warm in terms of recruitment. I will acquiesce to someone with alot more knowledge though on this. Figured I would drege up this thread since we have moved on from 21 although I think there might be a couple more guys that would be possible gets in that class. 

I wouldn't go by that being warm means anything

1 hour ago, ButlerHoosier said:

Supposedly we are in the running for Jalen Washington! That would be a huge get from in state 22 class even though he is in the region. 

I think Jalen Washington has a Stanford offer.  That's a clear indication he has his academics in order.  And, I think it gives IU a chance against some of the usual suspects that go after elite talent.  Let's just hope he's not interested in Engineering.

Would like to see IU get in early on some transfer and juco options in the 6'9+ range.

As it stands today, some think TJD will return next season and many believe it's likely Brunk will return. That would be great but if it does not pan out you are looking at Race and Duncomb (Fr) with Geronimo as the only other "big" on the team. That won't work.

Archie can't afford to miss out on any more bigs. He really needs to add size for 2021/2022, because his job may depend on it. But he absolutely has to get some size lined up for 2022/2023 because you're not going to have TJD at that point. 

3 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Would like to see IU get in early on some transfer and juco options in the 6'9+ range.

As it stands today, some think TJD will return next season and many believe it's likely Brunk will return. That would be great but if it does not pan out you are looking at Race and Duncomb (Fr) with Geronimo as the only other "big" on the team. That won't work.

Archie can't afford to miss out on any more bigs. He really needs to add size for 2021/2022, because his job may depend on it. But he absolutely has to get some size lined up for 2022/2023 because you're not going to have TJD at that point. 

So here is a recruit we could look at for 2021 to kind of work out in the mold of Purdues bigs...Harold Yu. He is 7'3" and looks raw but looks like he has some potential. I know that is for 2021 just thought I would add here. That would fill out our size issue. Haha. 

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I wouldn't go by that being warm means anything

I know Purdue really likes the position they’re in right now. MSU will always be tough but I think he’s a legit possibility. He wears #13 and is from Gary (granted so did Branden Dawson but Dawson and Washington are very different players/people). Big Dog still means a lot up there IMO. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I know Purdue really likes the position they’re in right now. MSU will always be tough but I think he’s a legit possibility. He wears #13 and is from Gary (granted so did Branden Dawson but Dawson and Washington are very different players/people). Big Dog still means a lot up there IMO. 

I guess maybe I don't know the history but Big Dog sent his own kid to Michigan. How big is wearing #13 and being from Gary actually worth? I know Painter said he ran out of scholarships...just curious I guess.