2022 Class Rankings and Discussion

Was watching a podcast on the field of 68 and they had like 10 assistant coaches on there.  Kenya Hunter was one of them and they were talking about the transfer portal and kids transferring.  Hunter mentioned about how the staff will be recruiting the 22 class because everyone could come back if they want to.  He said we all know that there will probably be 3 or 4 leave but it is hard to go out and know how to recruit for this class.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Was watching a podcast on the field of 68 and they had like 10 assistant coaches on there.  Kenya Hunter was one of them and they were talking about the transfer portal and kids transferring.  Hunter mentioned about how the staff will be recruiting the 22 class because everyone could come back if they want to.  He said we all know that there will probably be 3 or 4 leave but it is hard to go out and know how to recruit for this class.

No doubt will have to be strategic about the offers. Hard to say how the year will shake out. Could have several in one position group come back...who knows. You want to recruit the best you can but you don't know how many spots and in what positions will be available. Technically we are over-signed by one already next year.

• Like 1

We are on quite a few names right now, with the summer recruiting season on the horizon.  It seems like we’ve got the coarse focus on right now, and as the summer progresses we can start getting into the more fine focus where there’s mutual interest.   If Woody goes all out on some guys that he especially likes, he’s already shown he can relate and connect enough to seal the deal.   I look forward to hearing who gets his attention.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Strange. I thought it was well known that Emoni was decomitting a couple of months ago, along with the talented big guy they previously were connected to.  Sounds like he’s going to pursue pro options anyway.  

Seems like an odd choice. Play in obscurity somewhere like the G league or China for money that will be inconsequential to you when you could go leave a permanent legacy in college somewhere.  You’re going to make hundreds and hundreds of millions in the pros.  Keep any eye on the big picture.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Strange. I thought it was well known that Emoni was decomitting a couple of months ago, along with the talented big guy they previously were connected to.  Sounds like he’s going to pursue pro options anyway.  

Seems like an odd choice. Play in obscurity somewhere like the G league or China for money that will be inconsequential to you when you could go leave a permanent legacy in college somewhere.  You’re going to make hundreds and hundreds of millions in the pros.  Keep any eye on the big picture.  

Just a guess but I'm thinking the NIL stuff along with the new whatever league has a couple guys thinking they could make $100-$200k....not worry about class....and still be a top 10 pick in draft. We'll see how this plays out but I have to think Fife has obviously been on the phone. 

I'm with you and what Scott said earlier...don't see this kid playing pros but interesting nonetheless. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Between2Halls said:

I’m excited about this class, and could genuinely see if serving as a cultural shift for the program. I know there isn’t any clarity at this point in terms of scholarships, but I have no problem seeing at least 4 high quality players donning the stripes from this class of 22. 

these scholarship grids have me all messed up. They should reflect the actual class and put an * next to everyone that has the extra year of eligibility due to covid year.... anyway

I was trying to go through the numbers of who can leave, and who can stay. then i thought everyone could stay, but also everyone could leave... the 5 seniors and TJD are the obvious potential departures. 

Point being... recruit on. i like your number of 4

Ideally im thinking 3-4 HS recruits and 1-2 transfers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ledies22 said:

these scholarship grids have me all messed up. They should reflect the actual class and put an * next to everyone that has the extra year of eligibility due to covid year.... anyway

I was trying to go through the numbers of who can leave, and who can stay. then i thought everyone could stay, but also everyone could leave... the 5 seniors and TJD are the obvious potential departures. 

Point being... recruit on. i like your number of 4

Ideally im thinking 3-4 HS recruits and 1-2 transfers

I am losing track of who I want to see in this class, but the thought of some combination of the following works for me. 

Gunn, Washington, Clowney, Flipowski, Banks, Phillips, Taylor, Rice, Casey

I'm sure I left some out. We are in on some really solid players. As I mentioned this class could change things dramatically. 

Edited by Between2Halls

I'm torn on how it appears the staff is looking to use scholarships with this class in particular.  

Because of the free year and the one time transfer year, for at least the next 3 years there is going to be tremendous transfer talent available.  Guys more mature and potentially just as talented as anyone not in the top 50 or even lower.  Guys that would be start now material at any big time program.  

Do y'all think IU will still fish the portal in future off seasons but fill the roster mostly with freshman?  Not sure how we will keep up experience wise without portal supplements the next few years.