2022 Class Rankings and Discussion

6 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I hear you. I suppose he can show kids what he’s trying to do by using his actual IU game footage.  Easier for kids to see it now opposed to this time last year with just nba vids. 

anyway, I’m just excited TB and JG are staying.  

Smart kids

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

6’7”, 200 lb wing, consistently 130-140 rank nationally, from Indianapolis and we have an open scholarship? I can think of worse things to do with it. 

He had an offer from Archie but committed a very long time ago. I don't know much about his game, anyone have insight? 

• KDB changed the title to 2022 Class Rankings and Discussion
  • KDB pinned this topic

Guess I'll throw this in here. Arkansas and Coach Musselman add third 5 star recruit to 2022 class. Amazing job with average talent...can't imagine what he can do this crop he's assembling.

Another recruiting note that was funny. Cason Wallace (burger boy, UK commit) was doing an interview about his goals at UK and the kid said go as far into the college season as possible and get out of there. Haha. Kid hasn't even got there and he's packing his bags.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Another recruiting note that was funny. Cason Wallace (burger boy, UK commit) was doing an interview about his goals at UK and the kid said go as far into the college season as possible and get out of there. Haha. Kid hasn't even got there and he's packing his bags.

Better hope he's better than K Brooks

• Like 1

Just sitting around and thinking how I come back each every day and hit refresh to see what is happening with the 5 and 4 star kids like Reneau and IU basketball in general. Then I thought about the last 20 years and wondered if we have some of it wrong?

You look at the Big 10 teams, for example Wisconsin, you don't hear a lot about the recruiting but year after year they are good. They focus on the 2 to 4 star kids who are not incredible athletes, but who compete, guard, and can shoot. Effort and shooting! These kids grow over 4-5 year periods with the team. They may never make the NBA, but they are great for the college teams.

That is why I love the recruitment of Cupps and more kids like this in the future! He has all the intangibles. He should be rated higher by the way, but he fits all those characteristics. Future is looking bright!

Sorry, I know Cupps is 2023.

On 4/1/2022 at 4:11 PM, btownqb said:

Seems our recruits under Woody are all getting honors. JHS leading his team to a championship, Banks and Cupps players of the year. I know we all love Indiana kids but let’s face it…we’ve had a lot of those past several years without much success to show for it. I’m all for the right ones but I’m not going to ignore winners and talent just because it lies beyond state lines. The world of basketball has grown a lot since the 50s/60s/70s/80s and 90s…basketball isn’t just special in Indiana…it’s global and it means as much and is played as well all over as it is here in Indiana nowadays.

• Like 7

On 4/3/2022 at 9:48 PM, dgambill said:

Seems our recruits under Woody are all getting honors. JHS leading his team to a championship, Banks and Cupps players of the year. I know we all love Indiana kids but let’s face it…we’ve had a lot of those past several years without much success to show for it. I’m all for the right ones but I’m not going to ignore winners and talent just because it lies beyond state lines. The world of basketball has grown a lot since the 50s/60s/70s/80s and 90s…basketball isn’t just special in Indiana…it’s global and it means as much and is played as well all over as it is here in Indiana nowadays.

I think it’s a hybrid approach. We should always be in the running for the top 1-2 kids in the state, but always have open eyes for talent. RMK had pipelines to Ohio and Illinois, not just in-state. And now with modern technology and travel, recruiting nationally should also be an expectation. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, btownqb said:

But the question was whether he can recruit... and on paper, that question has been answered. 

We may not hit top 5 every year, but the way Woodson has been executing suggests good recruiting success going forward.   Woody has a presence.  Also, notice that he is not afraid to recruit in a manner that says, "you aren't entitled to play or let alone start.  It will all be settled by performance."   That's the way it used to be when we were what we wanted to be.  I couldn't be happier that we are back to that.  Notice that Malik did not say a word about expecting to start.  After 20 years, the fan base has gotten accustomed to thinking we aren't getting a guy who isn't given a path to starting.  

Then you look at the profile of the guys he is recruiting.  Gunn says he may actually be 6'7 by now and his wingspan is even longer.  Banks is long, agile, and mobile.  JHS is big for a guard.  Malik.  Switchability.  Versatility.  Length, quickness.  Winners. 

Look at future classes and who he is going for.  It's very coherent.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Sure, but that had a lot to do with volume and then one uber highly ranked guy. This class isn’t like that. 

Not really. Romeo certainly helped, but that class was pretty deep. It was one 5*, three 4*s, and a 3*. This class is rated a hair higher due to the two 5*s.

Regardless, my point is just that many new coaches get off to a hot start recruiting while enthusiasm is high (Crean's first full class at UGA was top 10, for instance).

The question is whether the staff can maintain that momentum both on the recruiting trail and on the court. I'm hopeful this staff will, but it's still too early to draw definitive conclusions.