2022 Class Rankings and Discussion

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We may not hit top 5 every year, but the way Woodson has been executing suggests good recruiting success going forward.   Woody has a presence.  Also, notice that he is not afraid to recruit in a manner that says, "you aren't entitled to play or let alone start.  It will all be settled by performance."   That's the way it used to be when we were what we wanted to be.  I couldn't be happier that we are back to that.  Notice that Malik did not say a word about expecting to start.  After 20 years, the fan base has gotten accustomed to thinking we aren't getting a guy who isn't given a path to starting.  

Then you look at the profile of the guys he is recruiting.  Gunn says he may actually be 6'7 by now and his wingspan is even longer.  Banks is long, agile, and mobile.  JHS is big for a guard.  Malik.  Switchability.  Versatility.  Length, quickness.  Winners. 

Look at future classes and who he is going for.  It's very coherent.  

Anyone know the deal on Gunn's ranking? I've only seen highlights, but dude looks like a stud and his frame and athleticism scream potential 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HooASUier said:

Anyone know the deal on Gunn's ranking? I've only seen highlights, but dude looks like a stud and his frame and athleticism scream potential 

Composite #141

Above average length, athleticism and shooting.   Poor mans Clay Thompson?  
Will be surprised if he isn’t in the rotation early and starting year 2

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Composite #141

Are you hedging here? This is a very optimistic view of his development timeline, and I even happen to like Gunn's future quite a bit. I just think  it will take a couple years to happen and get major minutes. 

Edited by Btownstrength
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Btownstrength said:

Are you hedging here? This is a very optimistic view of his development timeline, and I even happen to like Gunn's future quite a bit. I just think  it will take a couple years to happen and get major minutes. 

seems really hard to imagine him in the top 10 this season doesn't it?  11th or 12th man shouldn't see the floor other than mop up minutes.   

5 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Composite #141

CJ gotta put on 25lbs, like Bates did before we discuss his impact in college imo. 

If he is 6-6/6-7... goodness there is a lot to work with. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

seems really hard to imagine him in the top 10 this season doesn't it?  11th or 12th man shouldn't see the floor other than mop up minutes.   

And that’s not a bad thing. I think Gunn knows he has a lot of natural ability, but is aware he’s not a “start from day 1” recruit. Give him a year of mop up minutes and for the training staff to cram ribeyes down his throat and point him to the weights. He’s got the makings of being one of those 3-4 year foundation pieces championship teams have. 

Edit: And a year of guarding guys like X, Geronimo and JHS in practice. That’ll toughen someone up right quick now. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

I disagree with you. I'll be surprised if he appears in more than 1/2 the games this year and is more than a rotation player as a sophomore. I think he'll eventually be good but it'll take some time to get there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, btownqb said:

CJ gotta put on 25lbs, like Bates did before we discuss his impact in college imo. 

If he is 6-6/6-7... goodness there is a lot to work with. 

What is he lacking in now, outside of strength? Asking because I've only seen highlights, but based off that I don't understand the discrepancy between his and Bates rankings

18 minutes ago, HooASUier said:

What is he lacking in now, outside of strength? Asking because I've only seen highlights, but based off that I don't understand the discrepancy between his and Bates rankings

His left hand. His processing between driving and passing vs driving and dunking/pulling up/ whatever. 

His handle in general needs to come along. I think there are some tweaks to his shooting form that need to happen as well. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

@BobSaccamanno where'd you see that he said he was close to 6'7? I thought the times I had seen him close to guys like Fife, etc (obviously Fife is 6'5)... he looked taller then, so I firmly believe he is over 6'5. 

I was listening to him on the Hoosier Hysterics podcast.  He said he hadn't measured himself recently but he "thinks" he may be up to 6'7.  Anyone else hear this?  He wanted to emphasize his length for the audience.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I was listening to him on the Hoosier Hysterics podcast.  He said he hadn't measured himself recently but he "thinks" he may be up to 6'7.  Anyone else hear this?  He wanted to emphasize his length for the audience.  

Appreciate it. I don't usually listen to that stuff, so thank you. Thats a game changer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Appreciate it. I don't usually listen to that stuff, so thank you. Thats a game changer. 

@btownqbI found it:

Gunn: "Just seeing on Twitter, everyone says I am 6'5 but that was a few years ago.  I definitely grew since then.  I am around 6'6 now."

Eric: "what about the wingsp--"

Ward: "Around. You said around 6'6!"

Gunn: "I might be 6'7."

Eric: "what's your wingspan."

Gunn "6'8, I believe.  When I went to IU on my official they said I was 6'6 and had a wingspan of 6'8."

• Like 8

I just hope with how transfers are a kid like Gunn sees a means to an end, and doesn’t get discouraged and jump ship from playing time as a freshman. I think he’s gonna be really really good. Very smooth. But he will need a year and we have some depth in front of him. I like having a stable of good recruits on the bench tho. Practices are about to be really good. A little perspective and patience can go a long way in life. 

• Like 1