2022 Class Rankings and Discussion

16 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Since we have already offered three class of 2022 players let’s start a thread and discuss. What in state players does Archie target? How many spots will we realistically have open? Is the in state class of 2022 expected to be deep or  is it a down year? What’s everyone’s opinion?

I'm aware of Shawn Phillips and Alex Karaban. Who's the third?

17 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

I think the Washington kid from up north is the main kid in that class.

That is correct.  Jalen Washington from Gary West HS received an offer in June '19, but I'm concerned about his durability.  He missed a significant number of games in the  '18-'19 season due to a shoulder injury (I think that's what it was) and he missed nearly all of the past season with a torn ACL.  

30 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Interest had been shown for PG Braden Smith (currently unranked). I don't believe he's been offered yet.

That would be correct.  Only Karaban, Phillips and Washington have offers.  Number of others we've reportedly watched, contacted, kicked the tires, etc., but only 3 official offers to date.  

I’m not saying 2022 is as good as 2021, but I am saying it’s another loaded class.  In addition to the players mentioned above, who are all worthy, there are a number of other in-state guys.   Will Loving Watts looks like a really nice wing.  Kamari Lands is another.  Carmel shooting guard Pete Suder bears watching.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two Indianapolis point guards (Tayshawn Comer - Cathedral and Leland Walker - North Central) are on the radar.  D'Ante Davis (F - Lawrence Central) is another Indianapolis kid that has been down to Bloomington.  Have a decent working list here.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/first-look-indianas-class-of-2020-and-2021-prospects/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We have so many wings on the roster I think 22 will be very big man focused and probably another pg. We will need more than just Logan and could lose multiple pgs after 21 with Rob graduating and Lander having NBA aspirations.

We should still have Hunter, Armaan, Geronimo, Leal, and Galloway with a good chance it seems at Aminu or another 21 wing. Going to be hard to move any of those kids out of the rotation. Bigs and true pg for me will be our biggest need. Of course you could just go bpa but to ignore the obvious holes on the roster would really set us back and I don’t see that happening with momentum Archie is coming with.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 9:35 PM, IUfaninIllinois said:

I’d love to hear the real reason he quit on his team. If it’s something selfish then I wouldn’t want IU recruiting him at all.

This one is interesting. Locally, the word was his Uncle (who I “think” is his guardian) said he cannot get below a B, or else no basketball. Rumor was he got a C and therefore, no basketball until that grade was brought up. Sounds good, right?  Everyone said, “wow, good for his Uncle for stressing academics!”  

Only problem with this is, he was shown having workouts in Bloomington (presumably with the Bloomington South team) during the time he was being disciplined for grades. So then, everyone started questioning, “He can’t play with his local school team due to grades, but it makes sense for him to be allowed to drive almost 2 hours to play and workout with a different team?”

Something doesn’t quite add up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hoosierfan34 said:

This one is interesting. Locally, the word was his Uncle (who I “think” is his guardian) said he cannot get below a B, or else no basketball. Rumor was he got a C and therefore, no basketball until that grade was brought up. Sounds good, right?  Everyone said, “wow, good for his Uncle for stressing academics!”  

Only problem with this is, he was shown having workouts in Bloomington (presumably with the Bloomington South team) during the time he was being disciplined for grades. So then, everyone started questioning, “He can’t play with his local school team due to grades, but it makes sense for him to be allowed to drive almost 2 hours to play and workout with a different team?”

His uncle is a quite the character....I have a few friends who has worked with Loving Watts and all of them tell me that he has a terrible attitude...I watched Jeff vs Lawrence North early in the season and he looked like the best player on the court...very talented and hopefully him going to Bloomington South will get his head on straight....

1 hour ago, hoosierfan34 said:

Wow thanks for the response that’s awesome 

3 minutes ago, JcityHoosier said:

His uncle is a quite the character....I have a few friends who has worked with Loving Watts and all of them tell me that he has a terrible attitude...I watched Jeff vs Lawrence North early in the season and he looked like the best player on the court...very talented and hopefully him going to Bloomington South will get his head on straight....

He should meet with Sherron Wilkerson.  Wilkerson can be a tremendous mentor and help him avoid major mistakes.  A bad attitude can be a career killer.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JcityHoosier said:

Agreed. He’s got a lot of potential. He’s a legit high major prospect and IU definitely knows who the kid is. 

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

He should meet with Sherron Wilkerson.  Wilkerson can be a tremendous mentor and help him avoid major mistakes.  A bad attitude can be a career killer.  

I would love for Sherron to be the new head coach at Jeff but that sounds too good of a idea....Jeff has made some silly decisions and I know of a lot talent that's coming through Jeffersonville and almost all of them are talking about going somewhere else when they get to high school...hopefully stuff changes and hiring Sherron would help in my opinion 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hoosierfan34 said:

He wasn’t working out with Bloomington South. He works out with Jordan Basye who is a trainer in Bloomington. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

There ya go. Yeah, I wasn’t 100% sure to be honest. Heard one person say it was BSouth and another say it was in Bloomington, but not BSouth. 

Basye works students out at Bloomington North (where he attended and his little brother is on staff), and also at the Twin Lakes recreation center. He has trained a lot of players in the area and Indiana Elite guys (Leal, Cooper Bybee, Connor Hickman, and Nick Klaiber)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HallMonitor576 said:

Basye works students out at Bloomington North (where he attended and his little brother is on staff), and also at the Twin Lakes recreation center. He has trained a lot of players in the area and Indiana Elite guys (Leal, Cooper Bybee, Connor Hickman, and Nick Klaiber)

Gotcha, good info. But this still makes you think and go back to the original question - which is, how it ok to drive almost 2 hours for a basketball workout when you’ve been “disciplined” due to grades and aren’t allowed to workout with your local team right in your hometown?  Just seems odd.