2022 Class Rankings and Discussion

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I am surprised on Jalen Washington you didn't have Purdue as a competition for Jalen

Yeah, that was an oversight that I fixed.  Purdue should be on there.  I really don't see him going there though.  He overlaps with Furst and Kaufman too much and I see them both as 4 year guys.  Also FWIW (not much?) I believe Washington wants to major in business.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Yeah, that was an oversight that I fixed.  Purdue should be on there.  I really don't see him going there though.  He overlaps with Furst and Kaufman too much and I see them both as 4 year guys.  Also FWIW (not much?) I believe Washington wants to major in business.

I thought the same thing with First and Kaufman being a log jam at the 4.  If he wants to major in business then Kelly school is one of the best

5 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I always get a kick out of one-and-done players talking about what they want to major in.  You know how many one-and-done players have actually returned to finish their degrees while still playing pro ball?  One.  Marvin Williams at UNC, and he spent 10 straight summers walking around with a backpack in the Carolina heat to earn his degree.  

Now if Washington wants to play a few years in college, then I could see him actually finishing his degree while playing professionally.  But practically no one-and-done is willing to spend the immense amount of time it takes to complete 3 years worth of classes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BeenShermin said:

I always get a kick out of one-and-done players talking about what they want to major in.  You know how many one-and-done players have actually returned to finish their degrees while still playing pro ball?  One.  Marvin Williams at UNC, and he spent 10 straight summers walking around with a backpack in the Carolina heat to earn his degree.  

Now if Washington wants to play a few years in college, then I could see him actually finishing his degree while playing professionally.  But practically no one-and-done is willing to spend the immense amount of time it takes to complete 3 years worth of classes.

Marvin Williams isn't the only one. I know Greg Oden did. I'm guessing there are more, but your point about most one-and-done players not really needing to worry about major remains.

https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/06/former-ohio-state-big-man-greg-oden-officially-graduates/

If we can nab another guy to go along with CJ I will feel comfortable going into next offseason, would prefer a class of three at the minimum.  Lots of movement will be expected again via transfer portal so I easily see us hitting the transfer market very hard if CJ is our only commit or if we only have a class of two guys for 2022.  I think 2023 we have plenty of time for CMW and company to work on.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Andrew said:

Its literally still summer….. lmao were fine

Due to the pandemic most schools have no clue where they stand or who is at the top of their boards because no one has played any meaningful basketball for so long and only a few visits have been made. We keep laying down the welcoming committee like we have been and Mike keeps impressing and we will get our share...whatever that may be..2-3 and if there are spots left the portal was good to us last year and can be again. I still prefer recruiting 4 year players and building a team that way but coming off a year with so much uncertainty about the incoming class and little actual basketball to gauge their skills...I'm ok with a small class and surrounding them with guys that have actually PLAYED at this level...and in 23 and on focusing back on those 4 year kids.

Edited by dgambill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...