2022 Class Rankings and Discussion

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, cybergates said:

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Season/2022-Basketball/Targets/

Really outdated. Has AJ Casey as High Choice and we weren't in his top 8 while having JHS as Scout Look (along with Clowney) even after showing his commitment.

Anyone know of a better/up to date list of targets?

Our very own The Daily Hoosier does a good job keeping things updated on the recruiting front. 

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/the-latest-iu-basketball-recruiting-news/ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

Our very own The Daily Hoosier does a good job keeping things updated on the recruiting front. 

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/the-latest-iu-basketball-recruiting-news/ 

Thanks. I find this to be more of what I was looking for...(updated 8/24)

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-class-of-2022-recruiting-hot-board-the-first-edition/

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

highly rated class currently. A lot of kids still out there and movement in the player rankings. All in all I like where we stand even if we dont get another. Clowney, Reneau, or even someone else would be frosting on the cake.

Its been a very good class if we take no one else I think it would drop to the 20's or so once everyone elses classes fill up. If we can land Clowney or Reneau I think we can be anywhere 3-8 IMO. 

• Like 1

I would really like to see a big man in this class to start to ensure continuity in the front court! We are possibly loosing our two starters for next year of TJD and Race with Michael Durr and Miller Kopp to boot. I know that there are possible transfers but that is a huge chunk of experience and playing time going away. I know though to trust Woody and crew to fill the glaring hole coming up. 

10 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

I would really like to see a big man in this class to start to ensure continuity in the front court! We are possibly loosing our two starters for next year of TJD and Race with Michael Durr and Miller Kopp to boot. I know that there are possible transfers but that is a huge chunk of experience and playing time going away. I know though to trust Woody and crew to fill the glaring hole coming up. 

Durr was a 2 year transfer so unless he's just tired of playing or wants to go over seas he'll likely be back. 

• Like 1

Where does the talk of Kopp and Race leaving after this year come from? They're starters that have virtually no chance of playing in the league. They can probably go to Europe if they choose, but I doubt they would make the high paying leagues. It very much seems like they will be with us for 2 more years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

Where does the talk of Kopp and Race leaving after this year come from? They're starters that have virtually no chance of playing in the league. They can probably go to Europe if they choose, but I doubt they would make the high paying leagues. It very much seems like they will be with us for 2 more years. 

With guys like that you have to look at how long they've been in college. In a lot of cases guys aren't going to stay longer than 5 years at most. Kopp I could see coming back possibly. Race I doubt stays in college for 6 years. 

Not sure how the numbers work out but I have to believe CMW knows who's likely to move on after the season.

Trying to look at it logically and make an educated guess, this is what I come up with so far...

Lock to go NBA: TJD - whether he develops a perimeter shot or not.

Likely to go pro (overseas), transfer or just be done with basketball: 

Race - been here forever it seems (22 years old already), almost left once, and i'm guessing he has his degree already. I'd say he is headed overseas to make some money or looking to move closer to home to finish up his last eligible season. The NBA does not appear to be an option.

Rob - assuming his role this season is mainly defensive stopper and backup PG, he will take his degree and his four years at IU and move on. Even overseas seems like a reach for him at this point. And I'm not even sure he would use his extra year of eligibility to play basketball. 

50/50 to go pro (NBA or overseas) or transfer:

Parker - He's 23 years old now. He already has two degrees if I remember correctly. Depending on how well he does this season it could go either way. He hung around for a reason but his family situation may force him to decide sooner than later.

Kopp - I can see him declaring if he has a big season. Get the impression he's going to be a focus of the offense or at least get a healthy chance to prove he can be the guy opposite TJD. 

Xavier - The opportunity is there for X to showcase his skills. If IU makes a run and he leads the way I can see him taking his shot at the NBA.

Staying Put:

Durr - He's counting on the season after TJD leaves to have his chance. Until then he's coming off the bench. Seems unlikely to transfer again.

The rest of the team is likely to return unless they become angry about playing time or just see the writing on the wall with Hood-Schifino, Banks, and Gunn already committed and at least one more likely to be added. Even guys like Leal and Trey who are IU guys from birth may end up realizing they want to play more.

The point to all of this is, keep adding quality players. They're going to need them.

6 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Not sure how the numbers work out but I have to believe CMW knows who's likely to move on after the season.

Trying to look at it logically and make an educated guess, this is what I come up with so far...

Lock to go NBA: TJD - whether he develops a perimeter shot or not.

Likely to go pro (overseas), transfer or just be done with basketball: 

Race - been here forever it seems (22 years old already), almost left once, and i'm guessing he has his degree already. I'd say he is headed overseas to make some money or looking to move closer to home to finish up his last eligible season. The NBA does not appear to be an option.

Rob - assuming his role this season is mainly defensive stopper and backup PG, he will take his degree and his four years at IU and move on. Even overseas seems like a reach for him at this point. And I'm not even sure he would use his extra year of eligibility to play basketball. 

50/50 to go pro (NBA or overseas) or transfer:

Parker - He's 23 years old now. He already has two degrees if I remember correctly. Depending on how well he does this season it could go either way. He hung around for a reason but his family situation may force him to decide sooner than later.

Kopp - I can see him declaring if he has a big season. Get the impression he's going to be a focus of the offense or at least get a healthy chance to prove he can be the guy opposite TJD. 

Xavier - The opportunity is there for X to showcase his skills. If IU makes a run and he leads the way I can see him taking his shot at the NBA.

Staying Put:

Durr - He's counting on the season after TJD leaves to have his chance. Until then he's coming off the bench. Seems unlikely to transfer again.

The rest of the team is likely to return unless they become angry about playing time or just see the writing on the wall with Hood-Schifino, Banks, and Gunn already committed and at least one more likely to be added. Even guys like Leal and Trey who are IU guys from birth may end up realizing they want to play more.

The point to all of this is, keep adding quality players. They're going to need them.

I won't pretend to know how many years a guy like Race wants to stay in college, but IU brings in a lot more money than some 2nd tier European league, so I would guess the NIL will cause IU players to make more than those guys. It's one thing to leave a year of eligibility on the table to go start making money (basketball or otherwise), but to do so and take a pay cut makes a lot less sense. But, that is contingent on IU boosters being proactive in a way that I have no evidence of them doing. 

I would love to be wrong, but Kopp seems a long way from declaring for the draft. 

• 2 weeks later...

With the portal and ramifications of the NIL, the discussion of who stays and goes is interesting.

If you are counting schollies between 2022 and 2023, this is what I think we can count on for departures:  TJD, Stewart, Thompson, Kopp, XJ, Phinisee, Durr.  So you can see seven schollies between 2022 and 2023, and it could easily be 8-9 if JHS is one and done and Bates is one or two and done.

So, you get four easily for 2022 (hoping for JHS, Clowney, Banks and Gunn).

That would leave 3 minimum, and likely 4-6 for 2023.

If I had to guess (because it is a known unknown right now):

• Probably gone in 2022: Stewart, TJD, Thompson, XJ;
  • Phinisee is questionable (although he will have played his full four years);
  • Not sure, but could see them back: Kopp and Bates; and  
  • Gone by 2023: Durr, Phinisee, and Kopp (for sure), probably Bates, maybe even JHS.

I could easily see two four man classes coming in '22 and '23 and possibly still having a spot each year for a veteran transfer.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

With the portal and ramifications of the NIL, the discussion of who stays and goes is interesting.

If you are counting schollies between 2022 and 2023, this is what I think we can count on for departures:  TJD, Stewart, Thompson, Kopp, XJ, Phinisee, Durr.  So you can see seven schollies between 2022 and 2023, and it could easily be 8-9 if JHS is one and done and Bates is one or two and done.

• Gone by 2023: Durr, Phinisee, and Kopp (for sure), probably Bates, maybe even JHS.

I could easily see two four man classes coming in '22 and '23 and possibly still having a spot each year for a veteran transfer.

I have 5 leaving after this year: 2 out of XJ, RP, or KL;

2 from Kopp, Thompson, Durr, P Stew;

and TJD

7 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

What I think isn’t talked about enough is what assistant coaches want to pursue head coaching jobs because IMO that’s the most important battle we have on our hands because we are going to become successful. IMO fife stays because he is the next coach when Woodson retires. At this point does Hunter want to become a head coach or is he now content being an assistant? If he’s content then we are set for years. Coach Ya I think is the one I could see leave after some success. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

What I think isn’t talked about enough is what assistant coaches want to pursue head coaching jobs because IMO that’s the most important battle we have on our hands because we are going to become successful. IMO fife stays because he is the next coach when Woodson retires. At this point does Hunter want to become a head coach or is he now content being an assistant? If he’s content then we are set for years. Coach Ya I think is the one I could see leave after some success. 

In one of the Hoosier hysterics interviews with Coach Hunter he’s mentioned wanting to be a head coach. In my opinion he’s the assistant we lose first with some success. Coach Ya probably has some FBI stink on him still and hasn’t given an indication that he wants to be a head coach. I also agree that Fife stays. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hippopotamo said:

In one of the Hoosier hysterics interviews with Coach Hunter he’s mentioned wanting to be a head coach. In my opinion he’s the assistant we lose first with some success. Coach Ya probably has some FBI stink on him still and hasn’t given an indication that he wants to be a head coach. I also agree that Fife stays. 

Yeah I was afraid of Hunter leaving and would hate to see him go. But that’s the price of success unfortunately 

• 4 weeks later...