Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

Sign in to follow this  
IUfaninIllinois

Class of 2022

I hope the kid goes to MSU and becomes the next of the group of players who lose to a CAM coached Hoosier team. We have had Izzo’s number as often as not and would love to see that continue 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Nothing wrong with him commiting but that was not what I was answering.  The response was it was good for the big ten even if he does not come.  If he doesn't come then does that really help the big ten.

We have a year and a half to find out...

As I said, if he doesn't come, it hurts neither MSU or the conference...

And positive publicity like this always helps...

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

So having Josh Smith commit to IU help in anyway

What did Mike Davis famously say? He’ll always be a part of the IU Family?

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

So having Josh Smith commit to IU help in anyway

In a weird way yes. Same for Michigan St with this kid, same for Archie with Romeo, and same for Davis with Smith. He can take that to other recruits who might not be ranked as high but still very, very good to great talents  and say this. If Josh Smith or Romeo or this Sparty kid thought our school was good enough....how can't you?

Used correctly by staffs just getting a commit by a top 10 recruit( even if they never step one foot on the campus) is a win.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

In a weird way yes. Same for Michigan St with this kid, same for Archie with Romeo, and same for Davis with Smith. He can take that to other recruits who might not be ranked as high but still very, very good to great talents  and say this. If Josh Smith or Romeo or this Sparty kid thought our school was good enough....how can't you?

Used correctly by staffs just getting a commit by a top 10 recruit( even if they never step one foot on the campus) is a win.

I agree with most of that the only downside is when you lose a top 50ish guy because you took the top 10 guy that never stepped foot on campus. In principle I agree with your assessment 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree with most of that the only downside is when you lose a top 50ish guy because you took the top 10 guy that never stepped foot on campus. In principle I agree with your assessment 

That would be the Bruce Weber model. Archie doesn't strike me as someone who will not have plan B, C, and D in place with similar ranked recruits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

That would be the Bruce Weber model. Archie doesn't strike me as someone who will not have plan B, C, and D in place with similar ranked recruits. 

I agree but what I am saying is that if you offer a top 10 PG and lose out on a top 50 PG because he wants to go to the school that says he is the man day 1 etc... 

That is one benefit of Archie's decision to not use the full allotment of scholarships...we can always have one available should a Top 10 prospect want to sign, while using the rest to build a stable roster of 3-4 year players.

Edited by IUProfessor